[Scpg] steep permaculture slope ideas?

John Calvert jcalvert at crystal3.com
Mon Sep 6 13:14:40 PDT 2010

Owen Dell wrote:
> Thank you for your amendments. It would have saved a lot of trouble if
> you had said these things in the first place. I hope that the
> professional the owner consulted is a geotechnical professional, which
> is the only discipline I am aware of that can bless a project of this
> kind. And as for vetiver, it is indeed an excellent slope holder in
> many situations. Vetiver is the exception to the rule that grasses are
> poor slope holders. It's important to be specific about these things,
> because just saying "grass" could lead someone to plant fescue or rye
> or some other inappropriate species. Not all grasses are the same.
>
> I never asserted that permaculture was incapable of stabilizing a
> slope. I did and do assert that the discussion was leading in some
> very dangerous directions and I stepped in, at the risk of being seen
> as a complete asshole,

I don't think you are a complete asshole

> to send up a red flag and possibly stop something very bad from
> happening. I will, however, add that I often see permaculturists doing
> things that are reckless by the standards of landscape architecture
> and biology. Permaculture is a funny mix of science and superstition,
> in my opinion, and there is a lot of ego in it, to its detriment.

yeah, but don't confuse the people with the design methodology

> When people make cavalier statements that are not based on fact,
> accepted principles, the experience of generations of well-informed
> people, and the laws of nature, they risk both creating a hazard and
> discrediting permaculture. Precisely BECAUSE of the huge number of
> variables involved in any land use decision, I'd like to see a lot
> more scientific rigor applied to some of these practices, and a lot
> less naivete, recklessness, and arrogance. Innovation is great as long
> as its proponents aren't talking nonsense or endangering people.

I'm all for time-honored traditional methods, traditional farming
techniques, etc., in combination with sustainable methods and system
integration.

people get hung up on the word "permaculture".  It's a design
methodology, not a replacement for the entire human brain.

JC