[Scpg] steep permaculture slope ideas?

Owen Dell owen at owendell.com
Tue Sep 7 08:09:58 PDT 2010

At the risk of beating this thing beyond death, I must correct some mis-statements. The landscaping professions have hundreds of solutions to slope situations, not just a couple. And they are not all "structural" but are biological as well. No responsible landscape professional (and for the sake of brevity I include here geotechnical people, engineers, etc.) would ever adopt a "one size fits all" approach to problems. And I have no idea where you get the notion that landscape professionals only come up with 40-year solutions. That is just not true. You unjustly demean many professions at once and I think you really should retract your irresponsible statements.

As for the denuded and trampled slopes of Greece, how can you hold such utter destruction up as an example of something desirable? What happened to the native ecosystem? It was destroyed by human rapaciousness and ignorance. As you say, probably not the best solution. To say the least. The fact that those man-made conditions have lasted for a couple hundred years means nothing. Sensible permaculture would consider how to restore such a place, not use it as an example of the success of traditional practices.

I'm responding to these comments because they are so wildly untrue and because they might persuade people away from the facts. This is not personal in any way, but I can't let reckless statements go unchallenged in this forum.

Owen

Owen E. Dell, ASLA
Owen Dell & Associates
Landscape Architect • Educator • Author
P.O. Box 30433 • Santa Barbara, CA 93130
805 962-3253
owen at owendell.com
www.owendell.com

QUOTE OF THE DAY