[Scpg] steep permaculture slope ideas?

Dan Hemenway permacltur at aol.com
Tue Sep 7 14:14:02 PDT 2010

Owen:
    If it isn't practical, it isn't permaculture.  That's basic.  That's not to say that the word isn't misused, but that is not the fault of the word, or the practice that the word represents.
    Grasses are a huge family and quite variable.  I was silently skeptical, myself, about a plants that are largely mat-rooted holding soil in place on a steep bank.  "Bunch" grass could be any of hundreds of species.  On the other hand, with the correct woody plants, grasses may be OK.  We are talking too much in generalities here, and the specifics of site and of habit of candidate species for the site are important.  Neither you, nor I, nor anyone who has not visited the site can know what will work.  On the other hand, I am profoundly skeptical of an approach that favors surface runoff, since that is just another way of saying soil erosion, particularly on steep slopes.

Dan Hemenway