[Scpg] steep permaculture slope ideas? Now also: general site analysis

Dan Hemenway permacltur at aol.com
Wed Sep 8 14:09:37 PDT 2010

Well, you went into more detail than I wanted and raised some interesting points.  It is reassuring that you concur with me that raising food may not be the
best option for this site, except for suitable tree crops.  The only one I am confident would be suitable is apricot, because of its root-sprouting habit when soil
around the roots is disturbed, eg., after some subsidence or gully erosion.  The long establishment time of tree crops also favors stabilization before human
traffic.  In a garden, one wants food in as many months of the year as possible, but here traffic for food production and harvesting seems quite undesirable.

I am a bit concerned, on reflection, about the suggestion of net and pan by another contributor.  I think one would do well to develop some skill with this over gentler slopes.  If I recall
correctly, this system was developed in the Mid-East drylands, historically, on very stony soil.  I suspect that the grades were not as precipitous as described for this site. Net and pan was practiced in the context of a whole culture which had generations of accrued experience on the landscapes involved.

I have developed a 20-page questionnaire that I license to clients, with a full credit if they complete it, and with other provisions.  A major purpose of the survey
is to bribe, if you will, the client to learn much more about the site, climate, etc., than perhaps s/he had thought about.  If the client is not willing to do his/her own
legwork, they are not going to properly implement anything that I design, wasting my time.  I've got plenty of work to do at home.  After I review the answers to
the questionnaire, usually on the plane en route to the site, I can do a better site walk or walks (depending on lots of factors--usually I'm on site for at least one full day.)
I always advise the client that costs will be less and results better with a training event where participants develop a site plan based on the client's desires.  The client
also gets training, and participates in the development of the design, so better understands how permaculture works and has a deeper grasp of why the design
calls for certain actions.  Optimum is for someone to be well trained and then live on or near the site for at least three years, during which experiencing the site is
a major objective.  Three years isn't much, admittedly, and as you point out, causative events that can precipitate catastrophes may be on the order of decades or
centuries.  A knowledge of local natural history is thus extremely beneficial. Yet in three years in places were people ought to live at all, which does not include precipitous
slopes, people can get in tune with what is going on while acquiring a lot of objective knowledge as well.  And three years may be the limit for most people's patience
to forebear from irreversible actions.

All that notwithstanding, I think that the original question was useful, and reflected a sincere effort to act responsibly by soliciting additional advice.  It is possible and
practical to start with principles and then revisit the specific site and see if they apply.  I'm sorry to say most of the principles I've learned have come from observing
when the Earth is mistreated, such as the deforested slopes that I mentioned in the Philippines, and then determining, from observations of factors such as root
structures of the pines of the are, why the subsidence was a new factor, consequent to deforestation and probably the traffic, mainly foot traffic in this case, to haul
out wood to burn for charcoal.

Dan Hemenway
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org