[Scpg] Painted Bug, Bagrada hilaris

Marcy Rosenthal Marcy at personalcreations.net
Wed Sep 8 20:28:15 PDT 2010

Perhaps this will illicit as good a response as steep slopes.

I need help!  I seem to have a massive infestation of the African Painted Bug, Bagrada hilaris.  They appeared last season, noticeably effecting my Kale and Broccoli.  The juvenile bugs have devastated my Alyssum and are moving on to whatever else they can find.  At first I thought they were just eating the dead and dying plant matter, but realize now that they are the reason the plants were dying, not from under watering.   After cleaning up and cutting back the seasoned, dead and dying plants, the bugs have become quite visible and infesting everything else.

There doesn't appear to be any advice online as to how to deal with these little critters.  Is there another insect or bird that might enjoy them?  Is there a plant or fragrance that will repel them?
I've resorted to vacuuming them and then washing them down the garbage disposal, but  this is not a sustainable solution.

Please offer your sound advice as it would be greatly appreciated.

I requested info from the USDA, wondering if someone might respond and what might be suggested, I got a reply!

> Hi there -
>
> I know these infestations can be troublesome. I have talked to the State Entomologist at the California Department of Food and Agriculture and here was his advice:
>
> Arizona is having some success with synthetic pyrethroids in commercial fields, and for a homeowner a contact insecticide like carbaryl would also give some control.  Unfortunately though, there isn’t a very effective organic option for this bug, and I’m not aware of any biocontrol agents or plant fragrances that are useful against this bug.  My suggestion is to contact the Los Angeles County Agricultural Commissioner’s office to see if they have any advice.  Phone number is 626-575-5471 or website is http://acwm.co.la.ca.us/
>
> The county can also help with identification of the insect just in case it is something else.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Helene R. Wright
> State Plant Health Director, California
> USDA, APHIS, PPQ

I'd like to know if anyone else out there is having the same problem, what area your in and how you're managing it.

Sincerely,

Marcy I. Rosenthal
Culver City, CA