[Scpg] Oct 2 Sat /SOL FOOD FEST flyer / this weekend!!!! Plaza De Vera Cruz Santa Barbara

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Oct 1 06:17:16 PDT 2010

SOL food comes to Santa Barbara
http://www.thedailysound.com/100110SANTA-BARBARA-SOL

By AMY BENNER -- OCT. 1, 2010
Santa Barbara is fighting back against processed
cheese and microwave mystery loaf with the first
annual Sol Food Festival, a one-day, Santa
Barbara County-crafted event aimed at calling
attention to sustainable, organic, and local food
systems.

The festival takes place on Saturday at Plaza De
Vera Cruz - just across Cota St. from the
Saturday Farmers Market - and can teach you
everything you ever wanted to know about local
produce and the people who support it.

"We want to develop a more sustainable and just
food system in Santa Barbara County," said David
Fortson, event co-planner and owner of
eco-lifestyle company LoaTree. "This festival is
intentionally right next to the farmer's market,
so people buying their food can cross the street
and learn about where their food comes from, how
to eat it, and its impact."

The Sol Food Festival was co-founded by Alison
Hensley and Heather Hartley, and has been in the
works for over a year.

"Basically, Alison had the great idea that we
needed to have a fun, educational festival to
educate people about sustainable, local
businesses, and to inspire them to participate
more," said Hartley. "I was kind of thinking
about the same thing, and so we started planning.
It's really exciting to see it come to fruition."

The festival features three different platforms,
each of which offers a cornucopia of
demonstrations and lectures about pretty much
every aspect of food from seed to dinner table
and beyond.

The main stage, also known as "the cooking
stage," is the newest addition to the Sol Food
Festival, which grew out of several exhibits
tested at Santa Barbara's Earth Day celebration.
The cooking stage presents nearly eight hours of
cooking demonstrations, such as making
cinnamon-basil ice cream a la S'Cool Food, which
is an organization that provides food and
nutritional education and workshops for schools
looking to give their cafeteria a makeover.

Food Network Iron Chef, executive chef at Bon
Appétit magazine, and local gal Cat Cora will
demonstrate a three-course meal and announce the
winners of the Santa Barbara Independent's Foodie
Awards. After that, she and Erik Talkin,
executive director of the Foodbank of Santa
Barbara County, will judge a competition between
Chef Pink of Square One, Chef Budi of the Ballard
Inn, and Chef Erik Stenberg of Fairview Gardens;
local chefs who must make a dish using farmer's
market ingredients.

"We have an education side and we have a culinary
side," said Fortson. "Anyone can find something
valuable, and take it home with them."
The two other stages provide a clear what's what
and who's who of local horticulture, agriculture
and activism, plus all the FYI and DIY a person
can stand.

Experts will discuss, among other things, city
composting and community agriculture programs,
food justice issues that pertain to Santa Barbara
County, and the importance of co-ops. Doug
Hagensen's talk about the Santa Barbara County
Foodbank's Backyard Bounty program - stage three
at 12:25 p.m. - shouldn't be missed.
The Foodbank, David Fortson said, was
instrumental in making the Sol Food Festival a
reality.
"We're really proud to be a partner with the
Foodbank," said Fortson. "Their work, especially
in this economy, is essential. They're making
sure we've got well-fed people here, and we're
happy to support them."
Other workshops include how to make your own
compost and biodynamic gardens, information about
raising turkeys with special guest Pilgrim the
Turkey, and earthworms and beekeeping.
"We in Santa Barbara have access to arguably the
best food available, and we can grow it year
round," said Fortson. "It's incredible how much
other food we import, and how much of our food
gets sent away."
Fortson said they hoped to see several thousand people attend.
Hartley, too, is very optimistic.
"It's going to be a really fun, delicious event," she said.