[Scpg] Uplifting thoughts

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 04:45:42 PST 2011

www.pyeglobal.org/blog/http://www.pyeglobal.org/Here We Go!WRITTEN BY: CHARLIE - DEC• 16•10We are seeing the tiniest tip of the ice burg in terms of what we can learn from each other. One of our goals as an organization is to shine a light on a more creative, depth-oriented way of coming together, particularly as it relates to activating the full potential of young people. We consider this work a form of social artistry and we seek to elevate the role of the social artist around the world. I have been intrigued by the idea of the social artist for a long time because I think it accurately describes who we are.In the early 1900’s social philosopher and educator Rudolf Steiner predicted that a new, higher form of art would emerge at the end of the 20th century—an art form in which people use their creativity to learn how to live well in community. He called this “social art”. Educator Jean Houston predicted the emergence of
 the “social artist,” whose medium is the human community. According to Houston, such a person “brings the focus, perspective, skill training, tireless dedication, and fresh vision of the artist to the social arena.”Here is what I know from my work around the world: Rudolph Steiner and Jean Houston’s prediction are very much alive in the world and growing rapidly. We practice social artistry in many diverse parts of the world:  London, Bangalore, Cape Town, rural Eastern Cape South Africa, Kampala and rural Uganda, Seattle and British Columbia. Everywhere we go, in every community we find people who fit the description of a social artist, and we discover each other. What’s more, the same vibe exists among the people who are drawn to and fed by this way of working wherever we go in the world. Though the life situations differ widely, I am in the fortunate position of experiencing the same generosity of spirit, the same shared
 delight that social artists take in the blossoming of each person in every place we are engaged. An after-camp staff celebration has the same sweetness, wild joy, and fullness of heart in Kampala, as it does in London as it does in Bangalore. And every time I am blessed to be in the midst of this kind of energy, I say to myself, “I want these people to know the others, in different parts of the world, who also gain meaning through creating safe spaces where everyone’s creativity can be expressed.”While our world often seems to be falling apart, I am continually energized by the lived experience that we, as humans, have the capacity—both the science and the art—to form creative communities and address the challenges we face. We are discovering how much fun it is to put these capacities into practice; joy is an organizing principle we can rely on. With each passing year, I am encountering ever increasing receptivity to the idea that a more
 creative, arts-based, holistic approach is needed in education, that education ought be connected to the change that is needed in the world, and that emotional and social intelligence is a fundamental capacity that must be developed as a foundation for individual and collective advancement. That I can walk into a school in the heart of a Muslim community in Bangalore and meet, in the person of the school’s principal, a joyful, inspiring social artist and an immediate and energetic ally in this work is only one indication that something powerful is afoot.The game of life is more fun when everyone blossoms, and we can enhance that blossoming the more we share stories from this work and the wisdom we develop along the way. Each of you is an essential voice in this growing network, a movement of human possibility. I can’t wait to hear what you have to say.

--

Learn the alchemy true human beings know.
The Moment you accept what troubles you've been given, the door will open. -Rumi

"Opportunities to find deeper Powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging." - Joseph Campbell

"...the greatest change we need to make is from consumption to
production, even if on a small scale, in our own gardens. If only 10% of
us do this, there is enough for everyone.
Hence the futility of revolutionaries who have no gardens, who depend on
the very system they attack, and who produce words and bullets, not food
and shelter." - Bill Mollison