[Scpg] COMPOSTING TOILET inquiry

John Calvert jcalvert at crystal3.com
Thu Jan 20 11:30:40 PST 2011

I'm guessing you are talking about an indoor, manufactured dry composting toilet, like a Biolet <http://www.biolet.com/products/>?

Although I don't have experience with the Biolet, it looks like a good choice, starting at about $1,500.

here is an interesting article, favoring the Biolet: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/03/the_hot_poop_on.php

What I do have experience with is simple do-it-yourself composting toilets, otherwise known as the "bucket dump" style.  These are dirt cheap, but more appropriate for an outhouse, mud room, or other outbuilding.  All you need to know is explained in the book, "Humanure Handbook <http://humanurehandbook.com/contents.html>".

My housemate actually has a Biolet, although not in use now.  She was not very impressed with the overall performance, and is more in favor of bucket dump.  I get the general impression that a Biolet-type toilet is more geared toward a situation like a lightly-used cabin, rather than a residential home.

JC