[Scpg] Fwd: Monsanto's Roundup Triggers Over 40 Plant Diseases and Endangers Human and Animal Health

Barbara Wishingrad seaandmts2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 13:45:28 PST 2011

Please forward this to your email         list, to newspapers and other media,
and to farmers. Please put         Secretary Vilsack's email address,
AgSec at usda.gov,         in the CC         line each time.

>The following article reveals the devastating and unprecedented         impact
>that Monsanto's Roundup herbicide is having on the health of our         soil,
>plants, animals, and human population. On top of this         perfect
>storm, the USDA now wants to approve Roundup Ready alfalfa,         which will
>exacerbate this calamity. Please tell USDA Secretary Vilsack not         to
>approve Monsanto's alfalfa by using the sample letter on our         website
>here.
>
>To share this article via Facebook please click here.           Permission is
>granted to publish         and post freely.
>View this article on our website.

by       Jeffrey M. Smith

Monsanto's           Roundup Triggers Over 40 Plant Diseases and
Endangers Human and Animal Health

While visiting a seed corn dealer's       demonstration plots in Iowa last fall,
Dr. Don Huber walked passed       a       soybean field and noticed a distinct
line separating severely       diseased       yellowing soybeans on the right
from healthy green plants on the       left       (see photo). The yellow
section was suffering from Sudden Death       Syndrome (SDS), a serious plant
disease that ravaged the Midwest       in       2009 and '10, driving down
yields and profits. Something had       caused       that area of soybeans to be
highly susceptible and Don had a good       idea       what it was.

The diseased field on the right had       glyphosate applied the previous
season.Photo by Don Huber

Don Huber spent 35 years as a plant       pathologist at Purdue University and
knows a lot about what causes       green plants to turn yellow and die
prematurely. He asked the seed       dealer why the SDS was so severe in the one
area of the field and       not       the other. "Did you plant something there
last year that wasn't       planted in the rest of the field?" he asked. Sure
enough,       precisely       where the severe SDS was, the dealer had grown
alfalfa, which he       later       killed off at the end of the season by
spraying a glyphosate-based       herbicide (such as Roundup). The healthy part
of the field, on the       other hand, had been planted to sweet corn and hadn't
received       glyphosate.

This was yet another confirmation       that       Roundup was triggering SDS.
In many fields, the evidence is even       more       obvious. The disease was
most severe at the ends of rows where the       herbicide applicator looped back
to make another pass (see photo).       That's where extra Roundup was applied.

Don's a scientist; it takes more       than a       few photos for him to draw
conclusions. But Don's got more-lots       more. For over 20 years, Don studied
Roundup's active ingredient       glyphosate. He's one of the world's experts.
And he can rattle off       study after study that eliminate any doubt that
glyphosate is       contributing not only to the huge increase in SDS, but to
the       outbreak       of numerous other diseases. (See         selected
reading list.)

Sudden Death Syndrome is more severe at       the       ends of rows, where
Roundup dose is strongest.Photo by Amy         Bandy.

Roundup: The perfect storm for         plant         disease

More than 30%         of all herbicides sprayed anywhere contain
glyphosate-the world's bestselling weed killer. It was patented         by
Monsanto for use in their Roundup brand, which became more         popular
when they introduced "Roundup Ready" crops starting in 1996.         These
genetically modified (GM) plants, which now include soy, corn,         cotton,
canola, and sugar beets, have inserted genetic material from         viruses
and bacteria that allows the crops to withstand applications of         normally
deadly Roundup.

(Monsanto requires farmers who buy       Roundup Ready seeds to only use the
company's Roundup brand of       glyphosate. This has extended the company's
grip on the glyphosate       market, even after its patent expired in 2000.)

The herbicide doesn't destroy plants       directly. It rather cooks up a unique
perfect storm of conditions       that       revs up disease-causing organisms
in the soil, and at the same       time       wipes out plant defenses against
those diseases. The mechanisms       are       well-documented but rarely cited.

	* The glyphosate molecule grabs vital nutrients and doesn't           let
them go. This process is called chelation and was actually the
original property for which glyphosate was patented in 1964.           It was
only 10 years later that it was patented as an herbicide. When           applied
to crops, it deprives them of vital minerals necessary for           healthy
plant function-especially for resisting serious           soilborne
diseases. The importance of minerals for protecting against           disease is
well established. In fact, mineral availability was the single           most
important measurement used by several famous plant breeders to
identify disease-resistant varieties.

>	* Glyphosate annihilates beneficial soil organisms, such asPseudomonas
>andBacillus bacteria that live           around the           roots. Since they
>facilitate the uptake of plant nutrients and           suppress disease-causing
>organisms, their untimely deaths           means the           plant gets even
>weaker and the pathogens even stronger.
>
>	* The herbicide can interfere with photosynthesis, reduce           water use
>efficiency, lower lignin , damage and shorten root systems,           cause
>plants to release important sugars, and change soil pH-all of           which
>can negatively affect crop health.
>
>	* Glyphosate itself is slightly toxic to plants. It also           breaks down
>slowly in soil to form another chemical called AMPA
>(aminomethylphosphonic acid) which is also toxic. But even the
>combined toxic effects of glyphosate and AMPA are not           sufficient on
>their own to kill plants. It has been demonstrated numerous           times
>since 1984
>
>	* Glyphosate with sterile           soil (A)           only stunts plant
>growth. In normal soil (B), pathogens kill           the           plant.
>Control (C) shows normal growth.
>that when glyphosate is applied in sterile soil, the         plant         may
>be slightly stunted, but it isn't killed (see photo).

	* Theactual plant assassins, according to Purdue weed           scientists and
others, are severe disease-causing organisms           present in
almost all soils. Glyphosate dramatically promotes these,           which in
turn overrun the weakened crops with deadly infections.
"This is the herbicidal mode of       action       of glyphosate," says Don. "It
increases susceptibility to disease,       suppresses natural disease controls
such as beneficial organisms,       and       promotes virulence of soilborne
pathogens at the same time." In       fact, he points out that "If you apply
certain fungicides to       weeds,       it destroys the herbicidal activity of
glyphosate!"

By weakening plants and promoting       disease, glyphosate opens the door
forlots of problems in       the       field. According to Don, "There are more
than 40 diseases of crop       plants that are reported to increase with the use
of glyphosate,       and       that number keeps growing as people recognize the
association       between       glyphosate and disease."

Roundup promotes human and animal         toxins

Photo by Robert Kremer

Some of the fungi promoted by       glyphosate       produce dangerous toxins
that can end up in food and feed. Sudden       Death Syndrome, for example, is
caused by theFusarium fungus.       USDA scientist Robert Kremer found a 500%
increase inFusarium root infection of Roundup Ready soybeans when glyphosate is
applied       (see photos and chart). Corn, wheat, and many other plants can
also       suffer from seriousFusarium-based diseases.

ButFusarium's wrath is not       limited to plants. According to areport
by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, toxins         fromFusarium on
various types of food crops have been         associated with disease outbreaks
throughout history. They've         "been linked to the plague epidemics" of
medieval Europe,         "large-scale human toxicosis in Eastern Europe,"
oesophageal         cancer         in southern Africa and parts of China, joint
diseases in Asia         and         southern Africa, and a blood disorder in
Russia.Fusarium toxins have also been shown to cause animal diseases and induce
infertility.

As Roundup use rises, plant         disease         skyrockets

When Roundup Ready crops were       introduced       in 1996, Monsanto boldly
claimed that herbicide use would drop as       a       result. It
did-slightly-for three years. But over the next 10       years, it grew
considerably. Total herbicide use in the US jumped       by a       whopping 383
million pounds in the 13 years after GMOs came on the       scene. The greatest
contributor is Roundup.

Over time, many types of weeds that       would       once keel over with just a
tiny dose of Roundup now require       heavier       and heavier applications.
Some are nearly invincible. In reality,       these super-weeds are resistant
not to the glyphosate itself, but       to       the soilborne pathogens that
normally do the killing in Roundup       sprayed fields.

Having hundreds of thousands of       acres       infested with weeds that
resist plant disease and weed killer has       been       devastating to many US
farmers, whose first response is to pour on       more and more Roundup. Its use
is now accelerating. Nearly half of       the       huge 13-year increase in
herbicide use took place in just the last       2       years. This hasserious
implications.

As US farmers drench more than 135       million acres of Roundup Ready crops
with Roundup, plant diseases       are       enjoying an unprecedented explosion
across America's most       productive       crop lands. Don rattles off a
lengthy list of diseases that were       once       under effective management
and control, but are now creating       severe       hardship. (The list
includes SDS and Corynespora root rot of       soybeans,       citrus variegated
chlorosis (CVC), Fusarium wilt of cotton,       Verticillium wilt of potato,
take-all root, crown, and stem blight       of       cereals, Fusarium root and
crown rot, Fusarium head blight,       Pythium       root rot and damping off,
Goss' wilt of corn, and many more.)

In Brazil, the new "Mad Soy Disease"       is ravaging huge tracts of soybean
acreage. Although scientists       have       not yet determined its cause, Don
points out that various symptoms       resemble a rice disease (bakanae) which
is caused byFusarium.

Corn dies young

In recent years, corn plants and       entire       fields in the Midwest have
been dying earlier and earlier due to       various diseases. Seasoned and
observant farmers say they're never       seen anything like it.

"A decade ago, corn plants remained       green and healthy well into
September," says Bob Streit, an       agronomist in Iowa. "But over the last
three years, diseases have       turned the plants yellow, then brown, about 8
to 10 days earlier       each       season. In 2010, yellowing started around
July 7th and yield       losses       were devastating for many growers."

Bob and other crop experts believe       that       the increased use of
glyphosate is the primary contributor to this       disease trend. It has
already reduced corn yields significantly.       "If       the corn dies much
earlier," says Bob, "it might collapse the corn       harvest in the US, and
threaten the food chain that it       supports."

A question of bugs

In addition to promoting plant       diseases,       which is well-established,
spraying Roundup might also promote       insects. That's because many bugs seek
sick plants. Scientists       point       out that healthy plants produce
nutrients in a form that many       insects       cannot assimilate. Thus,
farmers around the world report less       insect       problems among high
quality, nutrient-dense crops. Weaker plants,       on       the other hand,
create insect smorgasbords. This suggests that       plants       ravaged with
diseases promoted by glyphosate may also attract more       insects, which in
turn will increase the use of toxic pesticides.       More       study is needed
to confirm this.

Roundup persists in the         environment

Monsanto used to boast that Roundup       is       biodegradable, claiming that
it breaks down quickly in the soil.       But       courts in the US and Europe
disagreed and found them guilty of       false       advertising. In fact,
Monsanto's own test data revealed that only       2%       of the product broke
down after 28 days.

Whether glyphosate degrades in       weeks,       months, or years varies widely
due to factors in the soil,       including       pH, clay , types of minerals,
residues from Roundup Ready crops,       and       the presence of the
specialized enzymes needed to break down the       herbicide molecule. In some
conditions, glyphosate can grab hold       of       soil nutrients and remain
stable for long periods. One study       showed       that it took up to 22
years for glyphosate to degrade only half       its       volume! So much for
trusting Monsanto's product claims.

>Glyphosate can attack from above and below. It can drift over from       a
>neighbors farm and wreak havoc. And it can even be released from       dying
>weeds, travel through the soil, and then be taken up by healthy       crops.

The amount of glyphosate that can       cause       damage is tiny. European
scientists demonstrated that less than       half       an ounce per acre
inhibits the ability of plants to take up and       transport essential
micronutrients (see chart).

As a result, more and more farmers       are       finding that crops planted in
yearsafter Roundup is       applied       suffer from weakened defenses and
increased soilborne diseases.       The       situation is getting worse for
many reasons.

	* The glyphosate concentration in the soil builds up season           after
season with each subsequent application.

>	*
>
>	* Glyphosate can also accumulate for 6-8 years inside           perennial
>plants like alfalfa, which get sprayed over and over.
>
>	*
>
>	* Wheat           affected after 10 years of glyphosate field applications.
>	* Glyphosate residues in the soil that become bound and           immobilized
>can be reactivated by the application of phosphate fertilizers           or
>through other methods. Potato growers in the West and Midwest,           for
>example, have experienced severe losses from glyphosate that           has been
>reactivated.
>
>	*
>
>	* Glyphosate can find its way onto farmland accidentally,           through
>drifting spray, in contaminated             water, and even through chicken
>manure!
Imagine the shock of farmers who       spread       chicken manure in their
fields to add nutrients, but instead found       that the glyphosate in the
manure tied up nutrients in the soil,       promoted plant disease, and killed
off weeds or crops. Test       results of       the manure showed
glyphosate/AMPA concentrations at a whopping       0.36-0.75 parts per million
(ppm). Thenormal herbicidal       rate       of glyphosate is about 0.5
ppm/acre.

Manure from other animals may also       be       spreading the herbicide, since
US livestock consume copious       amounts of       glyphosate-which accumulates
in corn kernels and soybeans. If itisn't found in livestock manure (or urine),
that may be even       worse. If glyphosate is not exiting the animal, it must
be       accumulating with every meal, ending up in our meat and possibly
milk.

Add this threat to the already high       glyphosate residues inside our own
diets due to corn and soybeans,       and       we have yet another serious
problem threatening our health.       Glyphosate       has been linked to
sterility, hormone disruption, abnormal and       lower       sperm counts,
miscarriages, placental cell death, birth defects,       and       cancer, to
name a few. (See         resource list on glyphosate health effects.)

Nutrient loss in humans and         animals

The same nutrients that glyphosate       chelates and deprives plants are also
vital for human and animal       health. These include iron, zinc, copper,
manganese, magnesium,       calcium, boron, and others. Deficiencies of these
elements in our       diets, alone or in combination, are known to interfere
with vital       enzyme systems and cause a long list of disorders and diseases.

Alzheimer's, for example, is linked       with reduced copper and magnesium. Don
Huber points out that this       disease has jumped 9000% since 1990.

Manganese, zinc, and copper are also       vital for proper functioning of the
SOD (superoxide dismustase)       cycle.       This is key for stemming
inflammation and is an important       component in       detoxifying unwanted
chemical compounds in humans and       animals.

Glyphosate-induced mineral       deficiencies       can easily go unidentified
and untreated. Even when laboratory       tests       are done, they can
sometimesdetect adequate mineral       levels,       but miss the fact that
glyphosate has already rendered them       unusable.

Glyphosate can tie up minerals for       years       and years, essentially
removing them from the pool of nutrients       available for plants, animals,
and humans. If we combine the more       than       135 million pounds of
glyphosate-based herbicides applied in the       US in       2010 with total
applications over the past 30 years, we may havealready eliminated millions of
pounds of nutrients from our       food       supply.

This loss is something we simply       can't       afford. We're already
suffering from progressive nutrient       deprivation even without Roundup. In a
UK study, for example, they       found between 16-76% less nutrients in 1991,
compared to levels in       the       same foods in 1940.

Livestock disease and mineral         deficiency

>Roundup Ready crops dominate US livestock feed. Soy and corn are       most
>prevalent-93% of US soy and nearly 70% of corn are Roundup Ready.       Animals
>are also fed derivatives of the other three Roundup Ready       crops: canola,
>sugar beets, and cottonseed. Nutrient loss from       glyphosate can therefore
>be severe.

This is especially true for       manganese       (Mn), which is not only
chelated by glyphosate, but also reduced       in       Roundup Ready plants
(see photo). One veterinarian finds low       manganese       inevery livestock
liver he measures. Another vet sent the       liver of a stillborn calf out for
testing. The lab report stated:No Detectible Levels of Manganese-in spite of the
fact that       the       mineral was in adequate concentrations in his region.
When that       vet       started adding manganese to the feed of a herd,
disease rates       dropped       from a staggering 20% to less than 1Ž2%.

Veterinarians who started their       practice       after GMOs were introduced
in 1996 might assume that many chronic       or       acute animal disorders are
common and to be expected. But several       older vets have stated flat out
that animals have gotten much       sicker       since GMOs came on the scene.
And when they switch livestock from       GMO       to non-GMO feed, the
improvement in health is dramatic.       Unfortunately,       no one is tracking
this, nor is anyone looking at the impacts of       consuming milk and meat from
GM-fed animals.

Alfalfa madness, brought to you         by         Monsanto and the USDA

As we continue to drench our fields       with       Roundup, the perfect storm
gets bigger and bigger. Don asks the       sobering question: "How much of the
hundreds of millions of pounds       of glyphosate that have been applied to our
most productive farm       soils       over the past 30 years is still available
to damage subsequent       crops       through its effects on nutrient
availability, increased disease,       or       reduced nutrient of our food and
feed?"

Instead of taking urgent steps to       protect       our land and food, the
USDA just made plans to make things worse.       In       December they released
their Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)       on       Roundup Ready alfalfa,
which Monsanto hopes to reintroduce to the       market.

Alfalfa is the fourth largest crop       in the       US, grown on 22 million
acres. It is used primarily as a high       protein       source to feed dairy
cattle and other ruminant animals. At       present,       weeds are not a big
deal for alfalfa. Only 7% of alfalfa acreage       is       ever sprayed with an
herbicide of any kind. If Roundup Ready       alfalfa       is approved,
however, herbicide use would jump to unprecedented       levels, and the weed
killer of choice would of       course be Roundup.

Even without the application of       glyphosate, the nutritional quality of
Roundup Ready alfalfa will       be       less, since Roundup Ready crops, by
their nature, have reduced       mineral       . When glyphosate is applied,
nutrient quality suffers even more       (see       chart).

The chance that Roundup would       increase       soilborne diseases in alfalfa
fields is a near certainty. In fact,       Alfalfa may suffermore than other
Roundup Ready crops. As       a       perennial, it can accumulate Roundup year
after year. It is a       deep-rooted plant, and glyphosate leaches into sub
soils. And       "Fusarium is a very serious pathogen of alfalfa," says Don.
"So too arePhytophthora andPythium," both of which       are promoted by
glyphosate. "Why would you even consider       jeopardizing the productivity and
nutrient quality of the third       most       valuable crop in the US?" he asks
in frustration, "especially       since we have no way of removing the gene once
it is spread       throughout       the alfalfa gene pool."

It's already spreading. Monsanto had       marketed Roundup Ready alfalfa for a
year, until a federal court       declared its approval to be illegal in 2007.
They demanded that       the       USDA produce an EIS in order to account for
possible environmental       damage. But even with the seeds taken off the
market, the RR       alfalfa       that had already been planted has been
contaminating non-GMO       varieties. Cal/West Seeds, for example, discovered
that more than       12%       of their seed lots tested positive for
contamination in 2009, up       from       3% in 2008.

In their EIS, the USDAdoes acknowledge that genetically modified alfalfa can
contaminate       organic       and non-GMO alfalfa, and that this could create
economic hardship.       They are even considering the unprecedented step of
placing       restrictions on RR alfalfa seed fields, requiring isolation
distances.       Experience suggests that this will slow down, but not eliminate
GMO       contamination. Furthermore, studies confirm that genesdo transfer from
GM crops into soil and soil organisms, and can jump       into       fungus
through cuts on the surface of GM plants. But the EIS does       not
adequately address these threats and their implications.

Instead, the USDA largely marches       lock-step with the biotech industry and
turns a blind eye to the       widespread harm that Roundup isalready
inflicting. If they       decide to approve Monsanto's alfalfa, the USDA may
ultimately be       blamed for a catastrophe of epic proportions.

Please         send a letter to USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack, urging him
not to approve Roundup Ready alfalfa, and to fully investigate         the
damage that Roundup and GMOs are already inflicting.

International bestselling author         and         filmmaker Jeffrey M. Smith
is the executive director of the Institute           for Responsible Technology.
His first book, Seeds           of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government
Lies           About the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're
Eating, is           the world's bestselling and #1 rated book on GMOs. His
second, Genetic           Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of Genetically
Engineered Foods, documents 65 health risks of the GM foods           Americans
eat everyday. To help you choose healthier, non-GMO brands,           use
the Non-GMO           Shopping Guide.