[Scpg] 10:30 am tomorrow: FREE keyline plow demo at Orella!!!

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Mon Jan 31 16:16:46 PST 2011

>From Orella Ranch:

Hello land stewards,

Interested in learning more about KEYLINE plows?  Pasture renovation,
increasing soil fertility, increased water retention, sustainable agriculture?

We'll have a representative from YEOMAN's who makes the Keyline Plow.  We
own one at Orella Ranch.

Time: 10:30am, Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Location: Orella Ranch, Gaviota (between El Cap and Refugio
Focus: Pasture renovation

FREE demonstration and explanation about keyline design and the keyline
plow.

_http://www.yeomansplow.com.au/_ (http://www.yeomansplow.com.au/)

If you are interested in coming, please let me know and I will send
directions.

Best

David
Orella Stewardship Institute
805.450.2357

Yeomans’  Plow Company is an Australian family owned and  manufacturing
company of deep tillage plows.   Yeomans have been manufacturing in Australia
since  1954.  The plows we manufacture are designed for  deep tillage and
renovation of soil.  The models  we manufacture range from 6 to 40 foot, with
horsepower requirements from 45 to 400  horsepower.  They are used in a wide
variety of  applications such as vegetable farming, pasture  renovation,
row cropping, vineyards and the broad acre  farmer.
Yeomans has been exporting to the  United States of America, South Africa,
Asia and New  Zealand for many years.

The reasons for  soil renovation or subsoiling, is often seen as a  costly
and time-consuming exercise.

Yet there  are long-term benefits leading to more sustainable  cropping.

The prime and fundamental reasons for  subsoiling is to increase the
fertility and  productivity of soil.

Increasing fertility is  best achieved by converting root matter into
molecular  humus.

Subsoiling mechanically increases the  water-holding capacity of soil and
increases the  oxygen supply to benefit microbiological  activity.

The abundance of water and air  dramatically increases the conversion of
all dead soil  organic matter into humus, no matter from where it  derives.

According to Yeomans’ Plow, with all  forms of soil building it is
especially wise to avoid  wasting money on nitrogen-based fertilisers, as the
ammonia released by these chemicals kills vitrually  all microbiological soil
life.

Even fully  –grown earthworms will die and all soil fertility  enhancement
attempts will go into reverse.

If  hardpans have formed in cropping lands, these have to  be fractured to
allow for the penetration of water and  air, and also to allow for the
spread of new root  fibres into the dead soil material beneath the  pan.

So how deep?

Well, it is always a  good approach to rely on commonsense.

One  depth-determining factor is to subsoil 4 inches  beneath a hardpan
structure but no more.

The  cost effectiveness fo the first subsoiling operation  will decline
with excessive depth.

If no  classic hardpan has formed in the soil, then a second  answer is to
cultivate three or four inches below the  general existing depth of the
pasture root  zone.

Then there is a third depth determining  factor.

When subsoiling with a Yemoans or with  any subsoiling implement based on
the Yeomans design,  the appearance of the cultivation lines at shallow
depths – just a few inches – look like those of a  scarifier or a chisel plow.

But with a  good  subsolier, as cultiviation depth is  increased a point is
reached where the appearance of  the cultivation completely changes.

The earth  suddenly appears to simply rise and then drop back in  place,
all with little apparent  disturbance.

This becomes a good general  minimum depth guide.

And the soil life will  love it.

Deep work to these depths will prevent  rain run-off except from extremely
heavy  downpours.

CONTACT DETAILS

YEOMANS’  PLOW COMPANY
30 Demand Avenue,