[Scpg] Propagation by Cuttings & Rain Barrels Workshops in Ojai Valley, Sat. Feb. 12 + 19

Carol Vesecky cvesecky at igc.org
Fri Feb 4 21:38:42 PST 2011

Coming soon at Mulberry Haven:

Workshop #1: Propagation by Cuttings, Sat. Feb. 12 at 10
To be presented by Kody Ryan, our resident Biodynamic orchardist

Join us to learn the art of propagation via cuttings!  Kody will again demonstrate rooting cuttings of our delicious, nutritious mulberry varieties: Oscar, Black Persian/Shah Tut, Pakistan, and Riviera. You may then take cuttings from the mulberries, Black Mission fig, Spanish olive trees, and other fruit trees to take home to root and plant in your own yard or orchard.

There will be time for Kody to answer questions on how he manages the pruning of our various fruit trees, as we stroll around the orchard of 170+ trees of 58 varieties of 25 fruits.

Saturday, Feb. 12, 10-12. $15 for the workshop or 2 hours weed-whacking
(includes three or more cuttings to take home);

In case of showers, the workshop will be held in our carport.
But if weather is severely inclement, it will be postponed to Saturday, Feb. 19 or later.

Workshop #2: Rainwater Harvesting
Sat. Feb. 19, 10-12 a.m.  Donation: $15
Kate Riley of Inner Landscape Design
will discuss rainwater harvesting with rain barrels,
which are being installed at Mulberry Haven.
Cost: $10,  or 1+ hours weed-whacking

12-1   Eurasian lunch by Irina follows both workshops
 (if sufficient signups; write back for menu and price)

Olive-picking following lunch both Saturdays for those interested,
plus discussion of how to cure the olives

Location of both workshops: Mulberry Haven, 913 Oso Rd., Ojai 93023
Directions on request.
RSVP: Carol Vesecky  805 640-1897  cvesecky at igc.org

Note: Rooted Nopal cactus, Aloe, and Jujube are on sale in pots at our Farm Stand!
Two mature Sunshine grapefruit trees are also on offer and we have
plenty of limes, Meyer lemons, carob, and Sunshine grapefruit.
Sungold sapotes and blood oranges may also be very recently picked and available.
Just call or write to discuss the possibilities!

Portion of proceeds to benefit Biointensive for Russia's current program of publishing translations on GROW BIOINTENSIVE Sustainable Mini-Farming (GB) in Russian; see http://biointensiveforrussia.igc.org and www.growbiointensive.org for background info and write back for an update.

*Mulberry Haven is a 100% organic fruit farm established by Gordon and Marie Kennedy in 1978. It is known to some as the oldest mulberry farm in North America. The mulberries in five varieties number 66 mature trees, their berries being marketed each year in late spring and summer. Included among the 100+ other fruit trees are carob, pomegranate, persimmon, avocado, Sunshine grapefruit (grapefruit/pomelo/tangelo cross), blood orange, pomelo, sapote, fig, apricot, and "Sprite" cherry-plum. Carol Vesecky and Irina Kim (who taught GB in Uzbekistan for 12 years) also tend GB gardens in roughly 1000 sq. ft. of the 2-acre property. For more information,contactl  Carol  805 640-1897 /  cvesecky at igc.org .

Carol Vesecky
Director, Biointensive for Russia
913 Oso Rd., Ojai, CA 93023
805 640-1897