[Scpg] How your garden can weather climate change...

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Wed Feb 16 06:58:17 PST 2011

How Your Garden and Yard Can Weather Our  Changing Climate
By Carol Deppe, Chelsea Green  Publishing
Posted on February 8, 2011
_http://www.alternet.org/story/149851/_
(http://www.alternet.org/story/149851/)
Editor's Note: The following is an excerpt from Carol  Deppe's _The
Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain  Times_
(http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_resilient_gardener:paperback)  from
Chelsea Green Publishing.
My house has been much hotter in the summer in the last decade than it used
 to be. Global warming? Probably not. The two huge Douglas fir trees south
of the  house died and had to be cut down. The effect of that loss on the
temperature of  the house in summer was immediate and dramatic. Local often
trumps global. When  it comes to our home and yard, two big trees may matter
more than global  warming.
Global warming is happening, however. It's been happening since the glacial
 maximum about 20,000 years ago, so it is nothing new. How fast it is
happening  and how much is caused by people isn't the subject of this article.
Nor will I  address the global aspect of global climate change. I will instead
consider the  small and personal. What effect will climate change have on
your yard and garden  next year and in the next few years and decades? Here's
my synthesis, based upon  information from many sources. (See chapter 3 end
notes and references  in _The  Resilient Gardener_
(http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_resilient_gardener:paperback) .)
That the overall trend for the planet for the last 20,000 years has been
one  of warming is incontrovertible. However, climatic trends are full of
irregularities and hiccups. Any period of a thousand years in which the overall
 trend is in one direction has periods of years, decades, and sometimes
even  centuries in which the climatic trend reverses temporarily. The Little
Ice Age,  from about A.D. 1300 to 1850, is named for the seriously colder
weather in North  Atlantic Europe and America. It was a period of several
hundred years that was  part of the overall global warming trend that has been
occurring since the last  ice age.
Even if the globe is warmer on average in years to come, that doesn't mean
your yard will be any warmer, even on average. Climate change causes
changes and  irregularities in the patterns of ocean currents and winds. The local
effects of  those changes are huge compared with the few degrees cited as
likely increases  in average global climate in the next few decades. A change
in wind patterns  that brings Arctic inland air masses to you instead of
mild ocean air will  matter much more than a few degrees higher average global
temperature.
Even major trends are region specific, not globally uniform. And water may
matter more than temperature. The Medieval Warm Period was lovely for
Europe.  Famines and diseases were rare. Populations swelled. Civilization and
cities  expanded and flourished. The same period was devastating for Mexico
and the  American Southwest, which experienced horrific droughts--droughts
that probably  contributed to the collapse of civilizations and the vanishing
of entire  populations. In the Sahara, the Medieval "Warm" Period was cooler,
not warmer,  and marked by more prolonged droughts. In many other parts of
the world, the  main impact of the global warming of the Medieval Warm
Period also seemed to be  droughts. Says Brian Fagan in The Great Warming, "with
respect to  California, it's sobering to remember that the past seven
hundred years were the  wettest since the Ice Age." Pointing to prolonged droughts
that lasted decades  and even generations, Fagan says that, viewing the
overall global situation, not  just that of Europe, "it is tempting to rename
the Medieval Warm Period the  Medieval Drought Period." The American
Northwest, California, the Southwest, the  inter-mountain West, and the lower Hudson
River Valley are all vulnerable to  increased aridity and droughts.
Finally, for agriculture, the regularity of weather patterns may matter
much  more than averages or overall climate change trends. In spring of 1350,
it  started raining in northern Europe and rained for the next several
months. That  spring marked the beginning of five years of colder, wetter,
stormier, more  erratic weather that was the obvious beginning of the Little Ice
Age, which  lasted another 550 years. Most of the famines in northern Europe
during the  Little ice Age were as much or more associated with erratic,
rainier, stormier  weather than with temperatures. In the Year without a Summer
in New England  (1816), the freezes were unremarkable, as New England
freezes go. What mattered  was that they happened right through the entire summer.
Long term tree-ring chronologies and other data indicate that the weather
patterns of the last hundred years have been unusually stable. There has
also  been an unusually low level of volcanic activity; volcanoes also affect
weather  and climate. Our current gardening and farming patterns depend upon
that  relatively stable climate and predictable weather. We have,
effectively, been  growing "good-time" gardens and farms. We now need to expand our
perspectives  and learn, or relearn, how to garden and farm in wilder times.
Agricultural  humanity has adjusted to global climate change before, however,
as, for example,  during the Little Ice Age. We can review and rejuvenate
patterns that worked in  such periods in the past as well as extend them with
modern information.
In summary, we gardeners may or may not experience an increase in average
temperature in our yards and gardens. What we are almost  certain to
experience, however, is wilder, less predictable weather with many  more unusual
seasons, unusual weather events, and more severe weather  extremes.
Furthermore, we need to be as ready for cold as for heat, and  for droughts as well as
deluges.
Every act of planting is a gamble. In times of erratic weather, every act
of  planting is a bigger gamble. I discuss how to minimize the gambles and
hedge the  bets with respect to annual, biennial as well as perennial plants
in detail  in _The  Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in
Uncertain  Times_
(http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_resilient_gardener:paperback) . In this article I will limit my discussion to
perennials,  specifically trees (and bushes). These are the plants where we lose the
most if  we lose a gamble with the weather.
What I have seen written about the implications of global warming for
gardeners all suggests that we can now plant varieties that  are associated with
climatic zones somewhat warmer than our own. These  writers assume that
global warming of the planet by a fraction of a degree per  year actually means
that our yards will be warmer. As I have explained, however,  global
warming of the planet does not translate into greater warmth in your  yard. It is
instead more likely to translate into more erratic weather with  greater
extremes. But go ahead and experiment with annual plants, though. It's  always
a good time to experiment with annual garden plants, I say, climate  change
or not.
When it comes to planting trees and bushes, however, I  suggest doing
exactly the opposite from what is suggested by the words "global  warming." If
you are zone 8, for example, plant trees suitable for zone 7  or less instead
of expanding in the warmer direction and taking on plants  typical of zone
9. Even if the average of the winter low temperatures is going  up in your
back yard (which it might or might not be), that doesn't help if you  now
experience more extreme lows occasionally. In order to avoid freezing out  your
trees, you need every single year to have a lowest temperature that is
permissive, not just some years. The average lowest temperature isn't really
what matters.
Nursery catalogs often list the specific degree of freeze tolerance for
tree  varieties. Knowing that, in my own experience here in maritime Oregon,
for  example, there have been at least a couple of winters in which the winter
low  was about 0ºF, these days I would refrain from planting any tree with
a freeze  tolerance of less than -10ºF. And I would prefer -20ºF.
On the other hand, winter lows are not always the characteristic that
limits  a perennial to a zone warmer than our own. Sometimes we plant or don't
plant a  fruit tree variety based upon characteristics such as whether we
usually have  enough summer heat for the fruit to ripen. In that case, we can
better afford to  experiment. The gamble over whether there is enough heat to
ripen the fruit any  particular summer risks only one crop, not the lives of
the trees  themselves.
So to make appropriate gambles with perennials, it's a good idea to know
exactly why that more southerly variety you have been coveting isn't usually
grown in your region. For varieties released in recent years or varieties
commonly grown commercially, there is often excellent information on the
Internet provided by the breeder or by your local land-grant university. You
can  often find the exact degree of freeze-hardiness, the exact amount of
summer heat  (degree days) needed, the length of growing season required, and
many other  advantages and limitations, including diseases that may be the
factor that  limits the geographic appropriateness for any particular variety.
My own approach in the coming years will be to gamble  more with annuals
but less with perennials than I did in the era of more regular  weather. There
are some fruit tree varieties that have been favorites and  dependable
producers in maritime Oregon for decades. I'm figuring these are the  place to
start for main crop plantings, with the gambles limited in number, or
limited to branches grafted onto varieties that are established dependable
favorites.
Altered weather patterns can translate into changes in  disease or pest
patterns. Now would not be a great time to plant a  thousand-foot-long hedge of
just one kind of bush or tree to be the visual  highlight of your driveway.
I say this as someone who once lived in St. Paul  Minnesota on a street
lined with stumps of elm trees. Dutch Elm disease had  destroyed them all. The
city did not have the funds to replace all the street  trees at once. In the
coming years, rejoice in biodiversity.
Don't fertilize too much. It's better if your woody  plants don't grow as
fast as possible. Overly fertilized plants make  bigger cells that make
softer weaker wood than the wood of plants that grow more  slowly. This makes the
plants into "good-time" plants that will be more  sensitive to freeze
damage as well as more likely to break in wind and  storms.
For many of us, more and longer droughts are likely to be  typical of the
coming years. One of my basic rules is, "Don't water what  you can't eat."
Let the grass be types that don't require watering in your  region. And if
this means it goes brown in August, but then revives, let it. If  grass doesn't
grow without irrigation in your region, grow something else that  does.
Water needs are a matter of spacing. Pioneers grew fruit and nut trees  t
hroughout most of the East, Midwest, and maritime West, and they usually grew
them without irrigation. Here in maritime Oregon, I know several people who
have  "old-time" orchards, and they never irrigate except for newly planted
 replacement saplings. This is in spite of our usually completely rainless
summers. These trees have generous spacing, usually at least twice as much
space  as modern recommendations for commercial irrigated orchards. I
strongly  recommend planting trees with generous, traditional, pioneer-style
spacing. Such  plantings will better withstand drought, loss of
electricity/irrigation, or loss  of your labor (which is required to do the irrigating).
Wider spaced trees are  more resilient trees. (You can water a newly planted
tree the first couple of  years by just placing three or four 5-gallon buckets
with pinholes in their  bottoms in the root zone of the plant and filling
the buckets with water as  needed.) [Note: permaculture might disagree with
this prescription if proper  swaling and water harvesting earthworks are in
place.]
If there are ornamental plantings that require irrigation that you simply
cannot do without, consolidate them so that they can be watered with just
one  swath of drip lines or one setting of a sprinkler. And remember that less
 frequent deep watering promotes deeper stronger root systems than frequent
 shallow watering for grass as well as other plants.
Don't fertilize trees during a drought.  Fertilizing promotes branch
growth, which increases the water needs. Likewise,  light pruning during a drought
can be counterproductive. It, too, promotes  water-demanding growth. In a
major drought when you are in danger of losing  trees, you might be able to
rescue them by cutting them back dramatically,  however. Remove a third to a
half of the biomass. This both removes lots of the  transpiring leaf surface
as well as sets the trees back so dramatically that  their water needs go
down.
Among the various types of fruits, figs, apples, and  grapes need the least
water. Apricots, plums, and pears need somewhat more  water. Then come
cherries, peaches, and nectarines. Raspberries, strawberries,  blueberries, and
domestic blackberries all need a lot of water. I have  never seen these
latter four fruits grown successfully here in the maritime  Northwest without
irrigation. On good, adequately deep soil, traditionally  spaced orchards with
all the rest of these fruits can thrive here in the  maritime Northwest
without irrigation.
It is often said that standard trees are more able to scrounge their own
water than dwarfs. However, I haven't seen any actual data on that, and
suspect  that people are just guessing. Furthermore, I have seen many an
unirrigated  dwarf that was doing just fine. Even a dwarf fruit tree has a bigger
root system  than most perennial weeds and grasses, which can do fine
unirrigated.  Furthermore, the dwarf also has a smaller mass of transpiring leaves,
so less  water needs than a bigger tree. The balance between roots and
leaves may be what  most matters. I suspect that the specific variety of the
fruit tree probably  also matters, but have seen no data on that either. Plant
what you want, I say.  But just plant a joyous diversity of types of trees
and varieties, and give them  way more space than is currently usually
recommended.
Corvallis, Oregon plant breeder Carol Deppe has a Ph.D. in Biology from
Harvard University and specializes in developing public domain crops for
organic  growing conditions, sustainable agriculture, and human survival. She is
author  of The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in
Uncertain Times  and Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener's and
Farmer's Guide to  Plant Breeding and Seed Saving. Visit her website
_www.caroldeppe.com_ (http://www.caroldeppe.com/) .

Thanks to George Vye for sharing this with us
_gmvye at me.com_ (mailto:gmvye at me.com)

_http://dieoff.org/_ (http://dieoff.org/)
_http://www.vhemt.org/_ (http://www.vhemt.org/)

"Asking where we will find enough food to feed this growing population is
like asking where we will we find enough fuel to feed this growing fire."
   ~ Source  unknown

=