[Scpg] exciting new book: "Navigating the Coming Chaos" by Carolyn Baker

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Tue Mar 8 08:46:37 PST 2011

I've just discovered a new book - "Navigating the Coming Chaos: A Handbook
for Inner Transition" by therapist/historian Carolyn Baker, with a foreword
by  Andrew Harvey.  It's recommended by Caroline Myss and includes insights
 from people like Richard Heinberg, John O'Donohue, Bill McKibben, John
Michael  Greer, Thomas Berry, Brian Swimme, Malidoma Some, Michael Meade, Pema
Chodron, Eckhart Tolle, Carl Gustav Jung, Joanna Macy, Bill Plotkin and
many others who have or are exploring the outer limits of successful living
in radically changing times.

I'm wondering if for some of us this book might be a good way to get a
"Heart and Soul of Transition" group going? It has useful chapters and
exercises  to kick off discussion and action.

Here's the description of the book: "The collapse of industrial
civilization, well underway since at least 2007, presents humankind with
unprecedented and daunting challenges in the area of energy, environment and  economics.
Just as The Transition Handbook of 2008 provided specific  strategies for
addressing these changes logistically, Navigating the Coming  Chaos provides
a toolkit of emotional and spiritual preparation for an  uncertain future.
It offers us an opportunity to step across an  evolutionary threshold in
order to become a new kind of human being living in  conscious self-awareness
of our intimate connection with all life in the  universe."

In addition to a clear, unblinking presentation of the facts of our current
 collective situation, Baker offers wise counsel as to how we can cope
emotionally and spiritually with the spiraling traumatic changes we're
experiencing. She grounds us in nature, community,  beauty and Spirit as we each
strive to find our calling and purpose in  helping ourselves and our fellow
beings to survive and thrive as we move  together into an uncharted future. In
this endeavor she discusses not only  practical survival but also the
necessity for the arts,  beauty, dreamwork,  meditation, ritual and depth
psychology.