[Scpg] Urban Homesteading: The Permaculture Way/NEW BOOK

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Mar 16 11:53:44 PDT 2011

Dear Permaculture Allies,

We are writing to let you know about the upcoming
release of our book, Urban Homesteading: Heirloom
Skills for Sustainable Living. This richly
illustrated how-to and why-to for the urban
homesteading movement is the first book of its
kind with a specific permaculture focus. With a
central chapter outlining the principles, and
different ways to apply them highlighted
throughout, this book will be an excellent manual
for individuals, families and communities seeking
to apply permaculture practices throughout all
aspects of their lives.
We are hoping you will make your network aware of
this book, and direct them to our website:
www.Urban-Homesteading.org, to get more
information and to order a copy. This book could
be useful for permaculture design certification
courses, especially those that have an urban
focus or which include the urban permaculture
experience.

Authors Rachel Kaplan and K. Ruby Blume are
certified permaculture designers who trained
under Penny Livingston-Stark, James Stark, Brock
Dolman, Erik Ohlson, and others. They homestead
in the San Francisco Bay Area and teach heirloom
skills, personal ecology, and applied
permaculture to individuals and groups. We are
available to support your permaculture networks
via our website's question and answer forum, our
class offerings, and our availability as teachers
and presenters in your community.

We are grateful to you for spreading the word
throughout your network. Please contact us should
you need more information, or to discuss ways we
might be able to serve your community.

Mostly water,

Rachel Kaplan
K. Ruby Blume
Authors, Urban Homesteading
rachel kaplan <rachelkap at fullcup.info>

ORDER BOOK  http://urban-homesteading.org/

RADIO PROGRAM  ON RENEGADE FARMER
http://therenegadefarmer.com/TRF-031311.mp3

Šnurture all that is authentic by acknowledging
three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is
finished, and nothing is perfect.  To accept
these realities is to accept contentment as the
maturation of happiness, and to acknowledge that
clarity and grace can be found in genuine
unvarnished existence.  Filled with subtlety and
depth, this way is a river flowing toward and
away from you, and always within you.   --Richard
Powell

Urban Homesteading
The Permaculture Way

Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living

  In cities and towns throughout the country, a
growing movement of urban homesteaders is turning
their homes, businesses and neighborhoods into
mini-farms complete with chickens, rabbits and
goats; water, energy and waste-saving oases of
abundance that enhance neighborhoods and
communities; and working models for a positive
and inspiring way to live. "It's well past time
for us to redesign our homes and our lives in a
genuinely sustainable way. Homesteading in the
city is a land-based action-oriented YES! to the
possibility of remaking culture with people and
place in mind," said Urban Homesteading author
and homesteader Rachel Kaplan.

The connected issues of global change,
non-renewable resource depletion, decaying
municipal infrastructure, and economic
instability has given rise to this movement of
people who are ready to be the change, right
now.  Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for
Sustainable Living is not only about the skills
you need to successfully homestead in the city,
but about the movement itself. This is the first
book of its kind to privilege the practices of
permaculture as the best design tools for homes
and cities of the 21st century, as well as bring
forward the voices of homesteaders who are
already living the dream.

Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for
Sustainable Living is a richly written and
illustrated how-to and why-to for this growing
movement of urban localism, including interviews
with homesteaders who share their successes,
failures, and inspirations for eco-friendly
lifestyles. Authors and urban homesteaders Rachel
Kaplan and K. Ruby Blume focus on do-it-yourself
projects ranging from caring for ducks and
building a worm bin to implementing a rainwater
storage system and generating resilient homegrown
economies in our neighborhoods. The power of
permaculture principles and practices are
underscored in the beginning of the book, and
throughout each section.

Urban Homesteading shares pertinent information on:

* Creating a personal sustainability plan based
on your time, space, and energy needs
* Starting a community garden
* Implementing the essential principles of
permaculture in your garden, your home and your
community
* Turning any small urban space into a lavish food-growing zone
* Nurturing an interactive relationship with
food-canning, fermenting, freezing and
cheese-making
* Using homegrown herbs to make your own medicine chest
* Building mutually beneficial relationships with
animals such as ducks, chickens, and goats
* Powering down your home-make changes in energy
and water use in all climate types
* Finding time for healing rituals and self-care
tips for sound body, mind, and spirit

Long-time community activists, artists, and
healers, the authors bring a unique perspective
to the homesteading movement and the application
of permaculture principles to the daily tasks of
repairing the world. Sections of the book focus
not only on organic gardening, food preservation
and small animal husbandry, but also on the
essential work of self-care and people-care that
are needed if homesteaders are to be successful
over time.
The authors are available to educate the public
on these and other issues covered in the book. To
schedule an interview or to set up a workshop,
please contact Rachel Kaplan at 415-269-2721, or
rachelkap at fullcup.info.

www.urban-homesteading.org
Buying from this website, rather than the host of
other discounted online sites, will more deeply
support the work the authors are doing in the
world.

About the Authors
Rachel Kaplan has been gardening in and around
urban environments for over fifteen years and
belongs to a bicoastal family of farmers and
gardeners. She consults with individuals and
groups on the application of permaculture
principles to all aspects of living.  She is a
somatic psychotherapist, educator and certified
permaculture designer. She has written and edited
numerous books, including The Probable Garden of
Eden. Rachel lives in Petaluma, California with
her partner and their daughter on a little
homestead, Tiny Town Farm.

K. Ruby Blume is an educator, gardener,
beekeeper, artist, and activist, with more than
twenty years of experience gardening in urban
settings. She has worked extensively in the arts
and is the co-founder and artistic director of
Wise Fool Puppet Intervention, an environmental
justice project. In 2008 she founded the
Institute of Urban Homesteading, a project
dedicated to promoting localism, self-reliance,
and urban sustainability through low-cost adult
education. Ruby lives and works in Oakland,
California.

Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
By Rachel Kaplan with K. Ruby Blume
Skyhorse Publishing Paperback
Release Date: April 1, 2011
ISBN: 978-1-61608-054-9