[Scpg] Radiation levels for Hawaii, Alaska, & West Coast U.S.

John Calvert jcalvert at crystal3.com
Fri Mar 18 06:58:24 PDT 2011

Greetings,

I am using the EPA's RadNet network of real-time radiation monitors to check radiation levels
coming from the Japan nuclear disaster after the earthquake of 03/11, and to make charts of
notable increases in radiation.

I will be checking levels for Hawaii, Alaska, and West Coast cities in the coming days.

I will report my findings here. Please feel free to share this link with others:
http://crystal3.com/radnet

My first set of charts is for March 18 and are found in the folder charts_0318.

The naming convention for the chart files is shown in this example for Anchorage, AK:

radnet_anchorage_0311-0318.pdf --> all radiation readings, Mar. 11 thru Mar. 18
radnet_anchorage_B_0314-0318.pdf --> beta readings, Mar. 14 thru Mar. 18
radnet_anchorage_G3_0301-0318.pdf --> gamma energy range 3, Mar. 1 thru Mar. 18

Please read the introduction document for how to interpret the readings in CPM, conversion
to millisieverts, health effects of radiation, and examples.

Each chart folder will contain an analysis document to accompany the charts. The analysis is
my own and based on my understanding of the readings. I am taking into account readings for
the weeks prior to the quake, for comparison sake, to see if radiation spikes also occurred
before the quake.

The first set of charts, in charts_0318, show a possible indication of slightly elevated
radiation in Alaska and Seattle, however it is not conclusive due to similar isolated spikes
seen in February. This does not mean that the new spikes are not due to the Japan nuclear
disaster - that is still a possibility.

Please send questions and comments to: radnet at crystal3.com

Donations can be made here: http://calvertdesign.com/donations.html

thanks,