[Scpg] A Community Kitchen Simmers in Goleta Independent May 5-12 2011

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri May 6 07:37:14 PDT 2011

A Community Kitchen Simmers in Goleta
Crookston and Gomez Open Goodland Kitchen

http://www.independent.com/news/2011/may/03/community-kitchen-simmers-goleta/

In some ways, it might seem as if the new
Goodland Kitchen and Market has a Tom Sawyer
"come paint my fence" scam going, what with
interns signing up for 10-hour-a-week shifts for
10 weeks and no pay. But when Sawyer's fence was
finished, there is little doubt it failed to
taste as good as the food at Goodland. And
Sawyer's friends probably didn't then go off with
their new wealth of knowledge to better the
world, for as the Goodland's Web site reads,
interns "learn how the food choices they make on
a day-to-day basis affect their local community."

"Really established restaurant people were a
little more skeptical of where we are and what we
were doing," said Julia Crookston, one of the
co-owners, of their Old Town Goleta shop, "but 95
percent of the people say, 'Where have you
been?'" Co-owner Melissa Gomez asserted, "The
quality of the food we've been preparing would be
very different without the people wanting to get
involved on a volunteer basis. But in turn,
they're learning business skills, project
management, and culinary craftsmanship."

Crookston and Gomez believe they might be just
the fifth community-supported kitchen in the
country; perhaps the biggest is San Francisco's
La Cocina-that's the charity Traci Des Jardins is
cooking for on Top Chef Masters. But unlike the
nonprofit La Cocina, Goodland Kitchen is out to
rethink economic models. "We're going to have a
sustainable, profitable business," Crookston
said. "We want to prove it's viable-that you can
go happily to the bank, and happily pay off your
farmers, and that you can have a good life
without having to be corporatized or franchised."

While their grab-and-go (there's just one table
because of little parking and zoning laws) food
is quick, it's far from usual fast-food fare. "If
fast food is the default, you just go because
it's fast, not because it's good," Crookston
explained. "But we want to be able to do that,
too." And they do, largely because they start
with fine regional ingredients, including produce
from the Farmers Markets. That means your
avocados will sing on your sandwich; the carrots
in the carrot salad will taste and not just be
orange. "The menu was written so it can shift
every day," Gomez pointed out. "On the sesame
noodle salad, the vegetables are listed as
'seasonal.' That's all we promise. That way the
core menu can stay the same."

Gomez and Crookston were introduced by Heather
Hartley, one of the organizers of last October's
SOL Festival, and quickly realized they had a
shared dream. That synchronicity even extended to
the menu: "Julia said she wanted to do a mezze
plate," Gomez remembered, "and I told her, 'Wait,
I did, too' Š I didn't even think most people
knew what one was." (Theirs is a delight with
hummus, olives, grilled veggies, and a lovely
feta-sundried tomato mix.)

"When we met, Julia was doing the preserving for
Tom Shepherd, and I was doing it at Fairview
Gardens," Gomez said, and instead of saying more,
she just holds out both her hands and entwines
her fingers. She continued, "It didn't make sense
for me to compete with Julia, so I courted her.
We have very different skills. She has 30 years
of experience as a chef, and I don't. But I have
a master's in management."

The two have both since come to rely on Naomi
Serizawa, who will eventually take over
Crookston's job as lead chef in the kitchen so
Crookston can focus on her preserves. "Can you
imagine where we'd be without her?" Gomez asked
Crookston, but she answers her own question,
"We'd be crying every single day." Crookston
added, "She understands my vision and Melissa's
vision for the food, so we're fine Š plus I'm
here sticking my nose in every day."

Another crucial part of Goodland's mission is
renting out commercial kitchen space. That not
only helps pay their rent, but also helps out
small-batch food producers (like tenants IxCacaco
Brownies and Local Harvest Delivery). "We can
have our vision of fun, sustainable, and
delicious," Crookston said, "but we can't forget
the business end."

If you visit, however, it's not the business end
you'll remember; it'll be a fantastic salad or
sandwich or soup. Or perhaps Crookston's granola,
which they were baking when we did this
interview, and which filled the building with
homey aromas, definitely making me like Goodland
all the more.
4*1*1
Discover all the good at Goodland Kitchen and
Market (231 S. Magnolia Ave., Old Town Goleta.
845-4300, http://www.goodlandkitchen.com.
  Open Mon.-Fri., 7am-2:30pm).