[Scpg] Kind'ave Makes You Want to Move to Detroit...

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Wed May 18 07:44:05 PDT 2011

<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/>
Opinionator - A Gathering of Opinion From Around the Web

May 17, 2011, 8:30 PM

Imagining Detroit

The New York Times

By <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/author/mark-bittman/>MARK BITTMAN

Mark Bittman
<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/category/mark-bittman/>Mark
Bittmanon food and all things related.

TAGS:

<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/cities/>CITIES,
<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/communities/>COMMUNITIES,<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/detroit/>DETROIT,
<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/farms/>FARMS,<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/gardens/>GARDENS,
<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/urban-renewal/>URBAN RENEWAL

Detroit was once called the Paris of the West,
but at this point it’s more reminiscent of
Venice. Like Venice, its demise has been imminent
for some time, as crucial businesses and huge chunks of the population flee.

And, like Venice, it has a singular look. Not
everyone will find Detroit beautiful, but with
its wide, often empty boulevards, its abandoned,
ghost-like train station and high-rises, its
semi-deserted neighborhoods and its
once-celebrated downtown now jumbled by shuttered
storefronts ­ and the hideous Renaissance Center
­ it creates a sense of disbelief bordering on
fantasy. It’s either a vision of the future or,
like Venice, an impossibly strange anomaly, its best days over.

But after spending some time here, I saw an
alternative view of Detroit: a model for
self-reliance and growth. Because while the
lifeblood of Venice comes from outsiders, Detroit
residents are looking within. They’d welcome
help, but they’re not counting on it. Rather, to
paraphrase George Bernard Shaw, they’re turning
from seeing things as they are and asking, “Why?”
to dreaming how they might be and wondering, “Why not?”

Food is central. Justice, security, a sense of
community, and more intelligent land use have
become integral to the food system. Here, local
food isn’t just hip, it’s a unifying factor not
only among African-Americans and whites but
between them. Food is an issue on which it seems
everyone can agree, and this is a lesson for all of us.

“The idea,” says Malik Yakini, a school principal
who runs the two-acre
<http://detroitblackfoodsecurity.org/>D-Town
Farm, “is to help black people stand up, to
demonstrate that creating reality is not the
exclusive domain of white people ­ without
pointing fingers at white people.” The farm,
located in Rouge Park ­ the city’s biggest ­ will soon double in size.

Yakini, the chairman of the
<http://www.detroitfoodpolicycouncil.net/>Detroit
Food Policy Council, which is holding its first
conference this week, gave me a tour on the eve
of spring planting while a dozen African-American
volunteers steadily raked a sizable plot. “The
farm can empower, drive the economy, reduce our
carbon footprint and give us better food,” he
said. “And we’re influencing young white people
too, because they can see that.”

And how. During the 48 hours I spent in Detroit,
I met enthusiastic black, white and Asian people,
from age 10 to over 60, almost all of whom agreed
that food is the key to the new Detroit.

I was driven around the city by Dan Carmody,
director of the 120-year-old
<http://www.detroiteasternmarket.com/>Eastern
Market, whose huge sheds are crammed with vendors
on Saturdays, when as many as 50,000 shoppers buy
everything from Grown in Detroit vegetables to
Michigan asparagus to flats of flowers to
hydroponic tomatoes. In other words, a typical big-city covered market mash-up.

But if the market is familiar, the rest of
Detroit is anything but. Read the paper, and you
see a wasted landscape; go there, and you see the
sprouts emerging from the soil.

Imagine blocks that once boasted 30 houses, now
with three; imagine hundreds of such blocks.
Imagine the green space created by the city’s
heartbreaking but intelligent policy of
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35767727/ns/us_news-life/t/detroit-wants-save-itself-shrinking/>removing
burnt-out or fallen-down houses. Now look at the
corner of one such street, where a young man who
has used the city’s “adopt-a-lot” program (it
costs nothing) to establish an orchard, a garden
and a would-be community center on three lots,
one with a standing house. (The land, like many
of the gardens, belongs to the city and is
“leased” for a year at a time. But no one seems
especially concerned about the city
repossessing.) A young man who adopts eight lots
and has bought another three has an operation
that grows every year and trains eager young
people. A Capuchin monastery operates gardens
spanning 24 lots, five of which they own; at one
of them, I meet Patrick Crouch, who’s supervising
10 gardeners-in-training and reminds me that
“community gardens are not just about ‘gardens’ but ‘community.’”

The gardens are everywhere, and you almost can’t
drive anywhere without seeing one ­ a corporation
named <http://www.compuware.com/>Compuware is
establishing one downtown ­ but it goes beyond
that. Carmody has plans to expand, modernize and
re-unify the Public Market, which was split in
half by a freeway in the heyday of urban renewal.
Gary Wozniak, whom I meet over breakfast at the
<http://www.russellstreetdeli.com/>Russell Street
Deli and who runs a program for recovering
addicts, has plans to start an indoor tilapia and
shrimp farm near the market, using a combination
of investment money, loans and grants.

Back in the neighborhoods, I talk with Lisa
Johanson, who, with the aid of a church group,
started
<http://www.centraldetroitchristian.org/Peaches_and_Greens_Vision.htm>Peaches
and Greens, a small fruit and vegetable store in
a neighborhood that boasts 23 liquor stores and
one grocery. Daily, Peaches and Greens sends out
a truck that sells to residents in a two-mile
radius, providing produce to a neighborhood in
which only half the households own cars. The
truck also sells wholesale to five of the liquor stores.

And so on. Over good, old-fashioned lasagne at
<http://www.giovannisristorante.com/>Giovanni’s,
Betti Wiggins, who runs the food services
department for the public school system, talks
about using more and more local food; Phil Jones,
a chef who’s on the
<http://www.detroitfoodpolicycouncil.net/>Food
Policy Council, talks about training kids to
cook; Mike Score talks about plans for greening
300 acres, including forests, tree farms, a demonstration center and gardens.

As Jackie Victor, co-owner of the
<http://www.avalonbreads.net/home/>Avalon Bakery,
an unofficial meeting place for the Detroit food
movement, says to me, “Imagine a city, rebuilt
block by block, with a gorgeous riverfront, world
class museums and fantastic local food. Everyone
who wants one has a quarter-acre garden, and
every kid lives within bike distance of a farm.”

Imagine. If the journey is as important as the
destination, Detroit is already succeeding. And
we can all learn from what seems to be the city’s
unofficial slogan: “We can do better than this.”

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

PlPlease consider the environment before printing this email.