[Scpg] A Greater Mission /veterans are not transitioning well/Surprisingly, organic farming is offering a way to recovery like nothing else.

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun May 29 09:16:02 PDT 2011

Trailer

http://vimeo.com/14863526

A Greater Mission - 13 Min. Preview
http://vimeo.com/14348137

  Our veterans are not transitioning well... from
war to civilian life. The reasons are many, the
solutions are few.

Surprisingly, organic farming is offering a way
to recovery like nothing else. Vets are helping
each other, outside of any government program,
with an "each one teach one" attitude. Their
passion is shining a light in the darkness.

There's more to this story  http://www.walkyourtalk.tv/home.php.

If you'd like to be a part of the feature, please
contact dulanie at walkyourtalk.tv or
ray at cuttothestory.com.

Director's Notes
I first became aware of this story at the
Eco-Farm Conference a couple of years ago.  This
annual event draws the flannel-shirt, organic
crowd of farm-related folks. I had a booth to
sell my films. The Farmer-Veteran Coalition was
having a get-together that night, where Michael
O'Gorman explained their program of networking
vets with mentor farmers/ranchers/educators. I
met two young men, military veterans, who had
also served doing agriculture in the Peace Corps
together.  That really got my interest going.

Since that night I have been driven to tell this
story of veterans transitioning back, recovering
from the trauma of war, by turning to the gifts
of the land through farming.  I think the thing
that has surprised me most are the veterans
themselves. I don't know who I really thought
they would be, but I've met a group of deep
thinking, innovative, fiercely independent young
men and women who are committed to a life of
service to their community. And they've chosen
organic agriculture as their new mission.

Given what I know about how unsustainable our
petrol-chemical-driven food system is, how
precarious our food security has become, and the
fact that the majority of our farmers are
retiring, I realized that we couldn't have a
better blessing than these veterans stepping up
to take charge. As Michael O'Gorman says, "we
need them as much as they need us."

Luckily, I live in California, where a lot of
diverse agriculture goes on. So it's been
relatively easy to get enough interviews to put
together this preview reel to use for
fundraising; because this is a much larger,
national story that is unfolding rapidly.  I'm
hoping that anyone who watches it will feel moved
to donate something to the film*, so I can get
out across America to capture more stories and
continue producing this feature documentary that
can't get made soon enough. We have many
thousands of veterans returning from war.  They
need jobs and a new missionŠa greater missionŠ
when they get here.

*(Anyone who sponsors at $30 or more will get a
copy of the film when completed.)

Testimonials
"We all want to be safe, and we all want to eat
well, but few of us are willing to get our hands
bloody or dirty.  "A Greater Mission" movingly
demonstrates the profound connection of the
battlefield to the farm and illuminates the
redemptive power of the latter to help heal the
wounded heroes who have suffered so dearly for
us."
J.B. White
Screenwriter
"This is fantastic and it's positive. People can
learn, feel and I say, "Wow!" It's moving and in
the long term, can save all our lives from big
corporations killing us with chemicals."
Rita Taggart
Actress, Wife of Haskell Wexler
"I watched the five-minute version, and it's
great. I'd like to write a magazine article about
the vets' farming project and your documentary."
Jerry Dunn
Columnist and Travel Writer
"Please keep me posted on this. It's such an important film."
Connie Zalk
Princeton Review
"It's an inspirational piece. I'm a vet from a
past war and I know what it means."
Arnold Solowa
Talent Manager, Producer
"This program is so obviously a GREAT IDEA and
the time has most definitely come."
Albert Ihde, Producer
Santa Barbara Theater Company
"Wow! That's a really powerful reel - both in
message and content. The visuals were just
incredible!"
Ken Eros
Musician, Music Producer
"This is wonderful! Very exciting! We need to help our returning veterans."
Constance Greenfield
Connecticut Democratic Party Chair
"I got goosebumps, and then the tears welled up."
Kate Martin
Pacifica University
"You've taken what might seem like a not-so-sexy
topic of organic agriculture and infused it with
passionate stories of the heart."
Nancy Giuliani
Therapist
"What a unique and powerful story.  These
veterans paid dearly for our energy policy, now
they are taking on our food system. Bravo!"
John Willis
Marketing Consultant
"At first I thought, military goes organic? How
odd.  But as the preview of the film progressed,
it absolutely made all the sense in the world to
me that these veterans want to give something
healthy back to the world. That is their
redemption."
Jim Rockwell
Retired Engineer
JOIN THE MISSION:
All donations will receive a copy of the
completed film. Contact us about SCREEN CREDITS
for larger donations & corporate sponsorships.