[Scpg] THE SODFATHER: Californian compost wizard TIM DUNDON

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Jun 5 12:07:44 PDT 2011

APR 2, '09 12:44 PM
THE SODFATHER: Californian compost wizard TIM DUNDON
http://www.arthurmag.com/2009/04/02/the-sodfather-californian-compost-wizard-tim-dundon/.

The Sodfather
Californian compost wizard TIM DUNDON talks shit with Daniel Chamberlin.
Photography by Eden Batki
Originally published in Arthur No. 27 (Dec 2007).
Original design by Molly Frances and Mark
Frohman. Find bonus Sodfather photos by
Chamberlin at Into The Green.
Alchemists are often characterized in modern
times as bumbling would-be wizards at best,
greedy charlatans at worst. They're portrayed as
fumbling hopelessly in cluttered laboratories,
unenlightened madmen trying to turn lead into
gold. The reality is more complex, of course.

Alchemists were up to plenty of things, many of
them having to do with relating to the natural
world-and understanding its processes of
transformation and transmutation-in philosophical
and spiritual dimensions that transcended
traditional religious thinking, both Christian
and pagan, and preceded modern scientific
thought. The whole "lead into gold" thing was but
the most lucrative of the alchemical -or
hermetic-practices in the eyes of the monarchs
and rulers. Alchemy's material prima as Peter
Lamborn Wilson writes in the recent collection
Green Hermeticism: Alchemy and Ecology, "can be
found 'on any dung hill.' Hermeticism changes
shit into gold." It's an image memorably realized
in Alejandro Jodorowsky's 1973 film The Holy
Mountain wherein the thief character takes a dump
in a fancy bucket, and Jodorowsky, playing an
alchemist, distills those fresh turds into a
hefty chunk of golden bling.

Such fantastical processes are well known to
dirt-worshipping gardening sage Tim Dundon, the
beneficent caretaker of California's most famous
compost pile and the kindly warden of the
tropical forest that has fruited from its rich
humus. It's here that Dundon, a scientist-poet in
the truest hermetic sense, finds hope and
salvation in the transformation of death into
life-of rotting organic matter into nutrient-rich
soil-that takes place daily in the fecund jungle
he maintains on his one-acre yard.

The botanical odyssey of Dundon, the
self-proclaimed "guru of doo-doo" and the man
whose mammoth compost pile once covered a
football-field-sized lot, begins in 1967 with a
marijuana shortage. Like any good gardening
story, it encompasses Hollywood producers, fires,
suicide, PCP injection, a nude Quaker iconoclast,
standoffs with city officials and a violent pet
coyote.

Dundon, a 65-year-old lifelong resident of the
Los Angeles suburb of Altadena, relays the tale
with the voice of a true bard: his gospel of
compost is told in a pun-filled rhyming style
akin to the braggadocio-laden poesy of Muhammad
Ali. He's been a fixture in the bohemian scene of
Los Angeles for four decades, known among the
circle of outsider intelligentsia that has
gathered for Bacchanalian parties at the Altadena
ranch of Turkish Armenian painter Jirayr Zorthian
since the '60s. He often marches in Pasadena's
farcical Doo-Dah Parade clad in white robes, a
purple turban atop his head-the garb preferred by
his guitar-playing alter-ego, Zeke The Sheik.

Dundon provides anyone within driving distance of
his home with what is widely considered to be the
finest compost in Southern California. He does
not charge for the actual raw material, but asks
for a delivery fee-$35 and up, depending on where
you live-for a steaming pile that could serve a
small subsistence farm. Many of the recipients of
his fertile mixture of manure and lawn clippings
end up hosting impromptu mulching parties,
inviting their neighbors to come and fill
wheelbarrows and buckets with the organic matter
left spilling from their yards onto sidewalks and
streets. Due to the freshness of the manure
component of his compost, his deliveries
initially reek of ammonia, but the smell fades
within days leaving the pleasant odor of healthy
vegetation in its wake.
The mother pile from whence this compost comes
once filled the multi-acre lot that his
neighbors-the Mountain View Cemetery-granted him
use of. After multiple battles with city
officials and several fires, this sprawling
organic mass has been confined to the lot where
he lives, and where he's been piling compost
since 1973.
Dundon resides at the intersection of Mountain
View Street and Fair Oaks Avenue, the main
thoroughfare connecting Altadena with Pasadena to
the south. Altadena is an unincorporated
community of almost 43,000 residents that falls
under the jurisdiction of the city of Los
Angeles. Its northern border is the Angeles
National Forest and the San Gabriel Mountain
range; it last made the local news in February
2006 when a resident spied a mountain lion
napping in the shade of her backyard shrubbery,
prompting a lockdown of local elementary schools.
It's also known for its population of human
predators, with 10 homicides taking place in the
vicinity over the first half of 2007. Gangs are
one of the first things Dundon talks about to me
when I call to set up the interview, complaining
that some of his neighbors-they're Bloods, he
says-have parked a broken-down pickup truck in
front of his property in order to "make whitey
look bad." This is to be distinguished from the
fully functional pickup truck-complete with
hydraulic lift-that he uses to haul compost far
and wide.

Dundon's place is not easy to find as I cruise
down Mountain View on a sunny Saturday afternoon
in late August. Young black dudes draped in red
clothing pass blunts, chat with their friends in
sparkling Escalades and give me quizzical looks
as I circle the block peering at street numbers.
The houses are one-story ranch affairs, the yards
are dirt interspersed with yellowing patches of
dry grass and weeds.

After driving up and down the street several
times I park my car and decide to investigate on
foot, soon realizing that I can't see the compost
for the trees. Dundon's yard is literally
exploding with plant life: A riot of cacti,
palms, walnut trees and succulents strains
against the sagging chain link fence that marks
his property line.

I find Dundon at the gated entrance to this
chaotic lot. He's stooped over a fresh load:
rotting plant matter and manure from a local
stable falling through the tines of an ancient
pitchfork. Dundon's tall, about 6'4? with broad
shoulders and considerable biceps. An urban
mountain man, his beard explodes from his face,
white whiskers frizzing out from his sideburns
down to the middle of his chest. His moustache is
stained light brown, I'm guessing from drinking
apple cider vinegar as he has a slightly sour,
though not unpleasant, odor. His long hair is
dark gray, pulled back into a ponytail. Blue eyes
sparkle from above rosy cheeks and a
weather-beaten face. Give him a conical red hat
and he is an unmistakable garden gnome.

We exchange greetings and without hesitation he
launches into his pro-compost spiel.

"I'm here to capture the rapture and the
resurrection at the same time," he says, pushing
a wheelbarrow brimming with fresh mulch, leading
me up the inclined path into his shady tropical
reserve. "Isn't life triumphing over death the
resurrection? The body turns back to basics and
then the basics are picked up by the next
generation and the next generation makes use of
it and is happy to live inside this new entity
because it didn't go to the landfill. It went to
the hill with the will."
The ground is spongy and soft, piled into rolling
hills of nutrient-rich soil that rise a good four
or five feet above street level. Black hose-part
of a DIY irrigation system-criss-crosses a
pathway lined with black plastic gardening pots
filled with young ferns and prickly-pear cacti.
Dense foliage spreads out on both sides of the
path: Kaffir and Stargazer Lilies bloom amidst
the psychedelic red, green and yellow leaves of
coleus plants. Myriad other tropical species
compete with jungle cacti for the shafts of
sunlight that splinter down through the banana
and walnut trees. Palms tower 30 feet overhead,
swaying in the slight breeze of what, on the
street, is a hot August afternoon. The
temperature in the shade is a good ten degrees
cooler. The air smells of wet dirt and blossoming
flora.
"When the county came after me one time they said
it was a pile of debris and trash," he says,
dumping the load of mulch; spreading and turning
it between ferns and broad-leafed fan palms with
his pitchfork. "The reporter from the local
newspaper came, and I said, 'Do you realize what
the question is?' I told her I'm sent to be the
modern day Shakespeare/ The sincere seer engineer
that's here to commandeer the sphere/ Because
your atmosphere and the pure have already started
to disappear/ So you better get your rear in gear
my dear because the real enemy is right here/ I'm
like Paul Revere crossed with Shakespeare. And
the question is: Debris or not debris." He stops
for a second.
"See?" he asks. "It really gets 'em when you say it in rhyme."
The Dundon family moved onto this piece of land
in 1933. Tim was born in 1942, and grew up here
with his two brothers and a sister. He tells me
it was a flat lot full of weeds, and that an evil
spirit inhabits the house itself. "My family's
been possessed big time," he says. As we walk
through this fertile microenvironment he tells me
about his nephew's habit of "gunning" PCP, his
sister's "demonic possession" and an attempted
intervention cum exorcism that ended with a
family fistfight and a pile of flaming Bibles.
"Over and over again my life has been full of
weird, weird stuff," he says. "I don't want to
freak you out."

Chickens, roosters, ducks and geese patrol the
paths of Dundon's forest, and their work rooting
through the top layer of mulch brings his
attention back to the matter underfoot. "You can
see the chickens have been digging," he says,
kneeling down and plunging his hand into the warm
soil.

"That's the powder that makes you prouder and
prouder," he says, bringing up a handful of rich
humus. He lets it run through his fingers and
sings a verse from Creedence's "Proud Mary:" "Big
wheel keeps on turnin'/ Proud Mary keeps on
burnin'." He smiles. "See, it's burning with the
fire of life. I call it yea-palm instead of
napalm. Rather than burn people to death it
brings 'em more alive. This stuff here, the raw
material?" he comes up with another handful of
the same fine black soil. "I call that
craptonite. Craptonite does to the forces of evil
what kryptonite does to Superman.

"There's so many bacteria," he continues, "so
many worms and living creatures that when I wet
this thing down at night there's this big party
that comes out. They just chew it up and turn it
into the black stuff. So it's crap tonight, soil
tomorrow," he pauses for a beat, to see if I'm
following his joke. "Like when it goes to the
black form there, when it's completely done, it's
called humus."

The process of composting is, to quote the the
Rodale Book of Composting, "the biological
reduction of organic waste to humus." Which more
or less means when plants or animals die and fall
to the earth, they become food for other
organisms. This process is both hindered and
harnessed by humans: The billions of bacteria and
fungi that dwell in a handful of soil are largely
absent from, say, asphalt, concrete or the
compacted mash of garbage in a landfill, but the
process is streamlined and accelerated by
traditional organic composting practices.
The first stage of decomposition in composting is
chemical: microscopic organisms flock to the dead
thing and start to secrete enzymes that break it
down on a cellular level. As bacteria,
saprophytic mushrooms and other fungi eat and
digest, they give off considerable heat, causing
compost piles to steam and occasionally even
catch fire from the trillions of tiny post-dinner
bacterial farts. Such a catastrophe took place at
Dundon's place in 1990, and nearly cost him his
beloved pile. As temperatures fluctuate within
the decomposing matter different communities of
organisms rise and fall according to their
ability to withstand the heat, which can approach
160-degrees Fahrenheit.

As the chemical decomposers make the dead organic
matter a bit more malleable, the physical
decomposers start to show up. Millipedes, sow
bugs, springtails and snails are happy to chomp
up the plants. Flies arrive bringing more
bacteria to the buffet, leaving behind eggs and
maggots for spiders, centipedes, mites and
beetles to eat. Ants replenish the fungi,
transport minerals from within and without of the
pile and eat plants and insects. But the most
accomplished of all the decomposers is without
question the earthworm. In his blockbuster 1881
essay "The Formation of Vegetable Mould through
the Action of Worms with Observations on their
Habits," Charles Darwin writes, "It may be
doubted whether there are many other animals
which have played so important a part in the
history of the world as these lowly organized
creatures." These original slimy alchemists eat
dirt and shit out the organic equivalent of gold:
castings, also known as vermicompost. Castings
enrich the soil with nitrogen, calcium, magnesium
and other minerals, in addition to increasing its
ability to retain water. And they attract more
earthworms, too.

If the aspiring organic gardener's compost is
comprised of the proper materials-check out a
good composting book like the aforementioned
Rodale guide, but no meat, cat, dog or human poop
for starters-it shouldn't smell bad or attract
rodents. The primary odor that emanates from
Dundon's pile is the deep funk of healthy soil.
Which is actually the smell of the spores
produced by actinomycetes bacteria, a chemical
decomposer that thrives in the latter stages of
the composting process.

This is how the majority of humans grew their
gardens for most of recorded history, taking cues
from the world around them. The original
practitioner of this composting process would be
the forest floor itself, where a mulch of dead
leaves, needles, bark and branches covers over
and protects the networks of roots, mycelium,
bacteria, insects and worms that take part in
soil genesis activities. The first people known
to have written about composting were the
Akkadians, an empire that thrived in Mesopotamia
between the 22nd and 24th centuries B.C.

There are irregularities in this history, of
course: Rodale cites a 10th century Arab
agriculturalist as endorsing human blood as a
potent addition to compost. Colonial-era American
composting seems to be predicated on "fish to
muck" ratios. In the '50s gardeners were going
bonkers over mulching with wet straw. Dundon
credits his pile's success to cemetery grass
clippings and never fails to point out that
there's a lot of manure involved.

This cycle was interrupted in 1840 when German
scientist Justus von Liebig discovered just what
it was that plants liked about humus. Prior to
Liebig's research it was commonly accepted that
plant roots were chowing down, literally eating,
humus. Liebig's research showed that plants were
benefiting from the absorption of chemicals,
specifically nitrogen, present in humus but also
easily isolated and applied to roots directly. In
short, Liebig's discovery enabled the synthesis
of fertilizer. As is often the case when
industrial scientists decode a natural process,
he proclaimed his methodology to be superior and
actively dismissed the process of composting,
forever changing agriculture.

The widespread use of synthetic fertilizer
instead of humus was quite a coup in that a
naturally occurring-often free-recycled substance
that enriched the soil was replaced by an
industrial product requiring nonrenewable
resources that was often not only detrimental to
long-term soil health, but also expensive for the
farmer. Further refinements to the production of
fertilizer-most notably the Haber-Bosch process
of synthesizing ammonia to be used to boost crop
production, developed in 1909-are often credited
as enabling the population boom that has
contributed so drastically to the environmental
degradation of the planet.

So when Tim Dundon talks about how his pile is
the answer to "all of mankind's problems," he's
not kidding around. And there's no question that
the pile has saved Tim Dundon.
Dundon spent his early 20s as a plasterer,
shooting fireproofing on the structural steel of
the skyscrapers going up across Los Angeles in
the '60s. When a doctor told him that the
asbestos that was getting in his eyes would
eventually leave him blind, he switched jobs and
became an ironworker.
"I was being a tough young fella," he says,
sitting on a lawn chair in a salon-like clearing
framed by the winding, sometimes horizontal trunk
of a decades-old pepper tree. "I got really super
powerful," he says. "My barber was the third
contender to the bantamweight championship."
Dundon boxed too, both in and out of the ring. He
and his hard-knock friends would get into bar
fights and street fights, "dusting off Mexicans"
and getting dusted off by Mexicans, high on acid
and pills. They'd take "racks and racks" of
Benzedrine, Seconal and Percodan and spend the
weekend hunting in Arizona or in the rugged
forests north of Altadena, "beating the hills and
catching rattlesnakes." After these strenuous and
sleepless weekends he'd return to the work of
building bridges and buildings. "I was breaking
my back," he says. One of his friends, the
bantamweight barber, was eventually murdered when
"a guy he'd worked over a few times in street
fights caught him coming out of bar with a twelve
gauge shotgun. Right in the face. He wasn't quite
tough e.nough to take that punch. That's a good
way for somebody like that to go out though.
"This is the kind of people that used to be in
Pasadena," he says. "You talk about heavy duty,
these people were way above and beyond the call
of duty."
By the late '60s Dundon was living with his
second wife in Altadena, raising snakes and
trying to keep his pet coyote from killing his
neighbor's dogs, or his wife. "One night me and
my wife did acid," he says, "and he wanted to
kill her so bad you could see the hate vibrations
coming off of him. If I'd a let him go she'd a
been in pieces."
It was around this time that he first smoked
marijuana, coming up on his first batch of
cannabis by way of a "mailman guy" he was hanging
out with. "I took a couple hits on some really
good stuff," he says. "Then I had a big steak,
and then went home and played with mama and it
was like whoa!" He bugs his eyes out and smiles.
"This is good."
The following year Dundon started on the path
that would eventually lead to the lush garden
where he and I are now talking. "It was one of
those summers when you couldn't score any of the
stuff," he says. "I decided to plant some stuff
behind the garage. Put in a couple tomato plants
and some corn to camouflage. I saw the miracle of
growth happen there. That was '67." His expanded
his garden of legal and illegal plants when he
and his wife bought a house in 1970. Three years
after that they split up and he returned home to
take care of his aging parents: Frank, who worked
in the aerospace industry, and Edna, a concert
violinist.
"It was my calling," he says. "My father is the
gardener, I am the vine. This is one of the heavy
Bible statements. My middle name is Francis.
Francis is Frank. Remember the Catholic saint,
St. Frances of Assisi? I'm St. Francis of Afece.
Is that funny shit or what? It goes on and on and
on."
The genesis of the modern organic gardening and
permaculture movement of which Dundon is an icon
occurred in 1940, two years before his birth.
Almost 100 years following von Liebig's discovery
of fertilizer, Sir Albert Howard, a British
botanist and the Director of the Institute of
Plant Industry at Indore, India, published An
Agricultural Testament. The landmark book was a
result of Howard's years of study of the
indigenous agricultural practices of India, and
it lays out a vision of symbiosis between animals
and plants and a scientifically validated
methodology of composting that have become the
core tenets of the organic farming movement. And
the dude talks a lot like Tim Dundon, if Dundon
were a British knight. "How long will the
supremacy of the West endure?" Howard asks in the
introduction to Agricultural Testament. "The
answer depends on the wisdom and courage of the
population in dealing with the things that
matter. Can mankind regulate its affairs so that
its chief possession-the fertility of the soil-is
preserved? On the answer to this question the
future of civilization depends."

Howard's work flew in the face of an agricultural
fertilizer industry that was already entrenched
across the planet. And he inspired a generation
of organic farmers, among them American gardener
J.I. Rodale. Rodale started publishing magazines
and gardening guides-including the composting
book quoted above-in 1942, based around his
enthusiasm and belief in organic farming. Among
the many authors that he published was one Ruth
Stout, a rebellious woman raised as a Quaker in
Girard, Kansas. Though her work is often
overshadowed by that of her brother-Rex Stout,
the author of a series of mysteries featuring an
obese detective-Stout published her first book in
1955.

How to Have a Green Thumb Without an Aching Back
outlined her philosophy of permanent mulch,
summed up with the maxim "no dig, no work." Like
Howard she recognized nature as a gardener that
didn't need to be improved upon, and was reputed
to tend to her bountiful, chaotic roadside
gardens in the nude.

After Dundon moved back to his parents' place in
1973, he continued to garden, but it was Stout's
writing that gave him the inspiration to start
his now legendary compost heap and the jungle
that has sprouted from it. "I read her book about
mulching," he says, "and how it had turned her
place into a virtual paradise. She had all this
stuff growing, really wild, just by spreading hay
and organic material on the ground. I took Ms.
Stout to a new level.

"I had a vision in early '73-I was right over
there," he points through the trees to a spot a
hundred yards or so from where we're sitting.
"All of a sudden it dawned on me that that this
was something that could change the whole world.
People could create their own well-being, their
own good health, happiness, have peace on earth,
just by using organic material, turning it into a
game or a competition or whatever to get everyone
excited and involved. Something that could really
work."
Dundon soon began collecting the yard waste that
his neighbors at the cemetery were incinerating.
His pile grew to cover over the lot on which he
lived, and soon the cemetery let him expand onto
the land that connected their two properties. He
claims the eruption of foliage occurred
naturally. "I used to get the grass cuttings with
the tree seeds and the shrub seeds," says Dundon.
"Instant forest." He's obviously done lots of
planting though, as it's likely the banana trees
didn't come from graveyard grass clippings.
Likewise the massive dioon-a member of the
ancient cycad family and a native of Central
America-that spreads its palm-like fronds over a
dilapidated shed. Or the exotic epiphytic cacti
that bloom from the trunks of host trees reaching
up toward the sky. Amateur botanists who travel
to Dundon's forest with a field guide in hand
will be richly rewarded.
Dundon picks up a walnut from the ground
underneath our chairs. "Just throw a little mulch
on top and before you know it there's stuff
everywhere," he says.

Dundon also kept up his marijuana cultivation.
After his parents died, they left the property to
him and selling pot augmented his income from
doing odd jobs and gardening work. By the early
'80s he claims that he was the "kingpin grower
and dealer" of Altadena. "The people I was
dealing with, they weren't into cocaine and all
the other stuff," he says. "They were just into
doing the herb. I had a bunch of women that were
coming around and I could of said 'Drop your
drawers and I'll give you a half pound!' Never
any of that. I knew the growers; I got the super
price, to where the people felt they got the best
deal on the best stuff. This is the way it should
be."

He was busted in 1985, charged with cultivation,
sales to a narcotics officer and possession of
magic mushrooms with intent to distribute, all
felonies. He was busted again while out on bail
and charged with possession of more marijuana and
psilocybin. He represented himself in Pasadena
Superior Court as his alter ego Zeke the Sheik,
dressed in a white caftan and making his case in
rhyme. "I was obviously guilty," he says "but I
was claiming that I had dominion over the plants,
because I was a true Christian believer and that
my father in heaven according to the Bible gave
me dominion."

He was convicted following a famously comical
trial, but the judge let him off easy: 60 days
for each set of felonies, but to be served
concurrently at Camp Snoopy, a minimum security
prison camp. He only served 18 days, and had a
pretty easy time inside: "One day I was
pretending like I was asleep on the ground and
these black guys were talking about me, sayin',
'Hey man we were in Altadena and this guy was
selling this weed that was so bad that we didn't
need no cocaine or none of this other stuff.
That's him right there!' If you're a child
molester they're gonna kill ya, but if you're a
weed dealer they're gonna say 'This guy's cool,
man. He's all right.'"

Dundon's next encounter with the authorities came
in 1990, when his compost heap caught fire. "It
was like hell on earth," he says. "It was like
Puff the Magic Dragon and Dante's Inferno right
in the back yard." He was oblivious to the fire
until two police officers notified him of the
smoke that was rising from his pile and lying so
heavily on the street that it was stopping
traffic.

Dundon was in a massively depressed state at the
time: His 26-year-old son had committed suicide
two weeks earlier, following the death of his
mother, Dundon's second ex-wife. "He broke up
with his girlfriend. He was having trouble with
the man," he says. "He was gonna have to go to
jail for 10 months or something like that. He got
involved in some kind of drug deal. It was just
too much for him to handle so he did the big
one." Dundon points two fingers at his head and
pulls an invisible trigger. "So right at that
time the pile was starting to catch on fire I was
so bummed out, so blown out."

He managed to contain the fire, but it broke out
again the following day. The fire department was
sympathetic to Dundon, but warned him that he'd
be facing massive fines if they had to intervene.
With a combination of water and silt he finally
contained the blaze, and with the assistance of
scientist friends he was able to verify to county
authorities that his pile was no longer a hazard:
the compost had mostly burned up, and what
remained was non-combustible humus.
But the assault on the heap was only delayed, the
issue handed over to county planners who claimed
that Dundon's pile was in violation of Los
Angeles County zoning regulations. In 1999 senior
county planner John Gutwein told the LA Times
that "Mr. Dundon is a very nice man, conducting a
large-scale composting operation. Frankly, he is
doing very positive things Š But Mr. Dundon is
going to have to move the pile somewhere else."

It came as no surprise that Dundon was unable to
transport his pile-which had grown to be at least
40-feet high, and was reportedly the length of
"five school busses"-to an appropriately zoned
industrial area. Shortly thereafter the owners of
the land-the Mountain View Cemetery board-were
threatened with jail time and a $1,000-a-day fine
if the pile remained. It was soon bulldozed.
After the compost was removed, the ground was
sprayed with herbicide and is now a barren dirt
field dotted with tufts of crispy, sun-baked
weeds.

Still, this major setback, disheartening as it
is, can't detract from Dundon's progress: Not
just on his own land, but through the work of the
compost disciples that swear by his humus, a
congregation whose members range from prim rose
hobbyists to crunchy urban farmers, bohemian
permaculturalists to straight-laced landscapers.
He shows me a calendar that features images from
his customers' gardens:

Sprawling groves of tropical plants, flowerbeds
and vegetable plots bursting with life, even a
few images of gardeners who've followed his model
and added chickens and ducks to their backyard
biospheres.
Where would you be without your compost? I ask
him as we wander around his house. It's one of
two on the property, though the foliage is so
thick that I never manage to discern where the
second structure is. (I later learn that he has
another garden growing on top of one of these
buildings, a green roof that serves as a refuge
for a pride of feral cats.) He stops to look down
on a cage with two baby rabbits inside. It's
stacked up next to more cages holding chicks,
chirping in alarm at a black and white cat that
has emerged from the undergrowth. He looks back
at me and raises two fingers to his head and
pulls the trigger. "Probably," he says. "The ups
and downs got so bad. Suicide was close many
times. When the pile got destroyed and the whole
thing got so weird.
"Death, and bad relationships with women and
having to be alone," he continues, noting that
his last girlfriend left 20 years ago. "If I
could've had some breaks Š" Dundon has
aspirations to Hollywood stardom, brushes with
television producers and media attention that
have fueled obsessions with becoming a celebrity
through the transformative power of compost.
Which makes sense considering how much it's
enriched his life. "It would be neat to go back
and write a novel about what would've happened if
I'd gotten in contact with all these people. How
much different the world could've been if that
had happened. It could be Ecotopia already."
It's one of the only moments in the hours that
we've been talking that he seems to be at a loss
for words. It passes though, and as we continue
to walk through his garden he tells stories about
his brother Pat's singing abilities, and then
freestyles humus rhymes: "That's the royal soil
wrapped in foil/ So it'll never spoil for those
who are loyal/ and put in the toil/ and create
the thing that will not only end the turmoil/ but
replace oil."

Dundon's enthusiasm for compost goes beyond the
sterling scientific theses of Sir Howard, and
nearly eclipses Ruth Stout's candid mulching
genius. While compost guides stress that humus
springs from all organic matter-plants, kitchen
waste, cardboard, et cetera-Dundon mostly focuses
on the manure component. He loves the Paul
McCartney album Flaming Pie and never fails to
make a reference to the fact that a lot of his
yard-all dirt on earth, in fact-is in part made
out of poop. I could find only one other
accounting of compost in all its degraded glory,
and this from an inverted perspective; one of
repulsion at the death, disease and decay that
makes up this nourishing part of the cycle of
life. Walt Whitman's "This Compost" is a
selection from his 1855 masterwork Leaves of
Grass wherein the bearded poet shudders at the
thought of "every continent work'd over and over
with sour dead." He closes the selection with the
following lines:
Now I am terrified at the Earth, it is that calm and patient,
It grows such sweet things out of such corruptions,
It turns harmless and stainless on its axis, with
such endless successions of diseas'd corpses,
It distills such exquisite winds out of such infused fetor,
It renews with such unwitting looks its prodigal, annual, sumptuous crops,
It gives such divine materials to men, and
accepts such leavings from them at last.

Dundon expresses similar sentiments, only true to
his style, and to the holistic tenets common to
both alchemy and permaculture, he embraces the
corruption as much as the sweet things that grow
from it:
"There's three parts to life, right: The father
is the male. Spirit, or space. The second is the
mother. The female, the matter, the material.
Third is 'it.' Like these chairs," he gestures to
the lawn chairs we're sitting in again. "All
these inanimate things are it. So the pile is
what I call she-it. So that way they can't bleep
it because it's a bunch of shit." He smiles.

"No shit?" he asks.
I nod and reply, "No shit."
He shakes his head. "Nope. All shit."