[Scpg] report on West Coast Women's Permaculture Gathering May 2011

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Sat Jun 11 10:33:14 PDT 2011

2011 West Coast Women’s Permaculture Gathering: As experienced by Rachel
Dawson
On a beautiful weekend in May, we gathered together in the Cazadero hills
at
a Buddhist retreat center far above the Pacific Ocean on the northern
California coastline. The entire site was embraced by redwoods, cedars and
pines. The sun warmed our bodies and the moon cleansed our spirits as we
bonded through the weekend. Women gathered from all along the West Coast,
including Seattle, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona and the stretch of
California.
The weekend included opening and closing rituals with Starhawk where we
stirred the brew that composted our fears into dreams to become the seeds
of
our future, strengthening and feeding our roots. There was the powerful
panel of nine discussing urban and social permaculture, leadership and
inspiration. There was Open Space, a seed swap and a place to drop in and
deepen in partnership.
During one of the two powerful workshop sessions, Jenny Pell inspired a
group with progress on Portland’s Permaculture Folkschool and community,
and
Joan Stevens buzzed about the laughter and love of bees while Rachel Kaplan

guided a group of us in an Earth Art meditation. The meditation walk took
us
down to the meadow where the fire pit lay awaiting the night’s songs and
blessings. We were guided to stay in silence as we looked upon the earth
around us for inspiration. Sunlight flitted over the flowers as if faeries
danced in the shadows. One woman created a circlet, another a fairy ring,
one a story and another, a song with a bridge to the soul. We left the
space with a peace offering and a bit more knowledge of the edible
medicinals that lay beneath our feet.
Our groups morphed and exchanged as we moved into our next round of
workshops. Jude Hobbs talked about permaculture on a national level and
Carla Maria Perez went in-depth with economic systems and social
injustices.
One in particular that pulled my core was Deborah Eden Tull’s discussion on

radical self care, a subject we can all afford to study in this day and
age.
It was a glimpse inside to recognize that small mind embodied in each of us

that criticizes and judges our own self worth. I realized that if I am to
be truly in my integrity, then I need to care for Self as much as I care
for
this earth.
“Learning the power of standing in my own truth and not being phased by
copping to something I don’t know,” reflected Nina Simons during her talk
with us about her journey to Bioneers. “Know how valuable your gifts are,
value what you bring.” These are but a few of the many inspiring words from

an inspiring woman who heard the call in the midst of a myriad of a million

tomatoes and followed the path that led her to co-create a conference that
weaves a web to connect us all. She sat before us in her power, humbly
offering us her light.
We laughed with the children, danced with the mothers, cried with our
sisters and listened with our hearts. The weekend was a space out of time,
more of an experience to be remembered than an event to be reported.
Connections were made, new friendships were forged and, from my
perspective,  we all left
feeling like a part of the whole. Each being an integral piece  of this
amazing journey we call permaculture.