[Scpg] nice article on agro-permaculture, agro-therapy by Shepherd Bliss

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Sat Jun 18 10:13:15 PDT 2011

_http://energybulletin.net/stories/2011-06-18/learning-community-land_
(http://energybulletin.net/stories/2011-06-18/learning-community-land)

Published Jun 18  2011 by _Energy Bulletin_ () ,  Archived Jun 18 2011
Learning from the community of the land
by Shepherd Bliss

While recently shoveling aged horse manure around the berry vines on my
small  organic farm to fertilize them, which gives me great pleasure, I thought
about  what I have learned about the community of the land by farming over
the last two  decades. For example, I noticed how spreading brown gold--to
which I add the  green manure of decaying plants--utilizes waste to transform
plants and help  them grow. The animal-plant communal connection is
essential to life.
“The Life of the Mind” is the motto of the University of Chicago, where I
studied. It was a good book-based education. But after a couple of decades
teaching college, I realized that something was missing. So I left
full-time  teaching, bought rural land, and established a farm outside Sebastopol in
 Northern California. I want to communicate some of the things I have
learned  from agri-culture--the basis of culture and community. “You are what you
eat,”  as the saying goes...