[Scpg] request for articles on permaculture

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Sat Jun 25 15:17:19 PDT 2011

From:  Communities Magazine  <_editor at ic.org_ (mailto:editor at ic.org) >

Date:  June 24,  2011 6:40:02 PM PDT

To:  undisclosed-recipients:;

Subject:  article proposal  deadline extended: Communities #153:
Permaculture

Hello  again,

Though we've received many promising proposals, we've  decided to extend
our article proposal deadline three extra days, to  accommodate any ideas
still waiting to be sent to  us...
Communities  magazine is now seeking articles for issue #153,  “
Permaculture.” The issue will be out in  December 2011.

Please send your article idea to  _editor at ic.org_ (mailto:editor at ic.org)
by Monday, June  27, 2011.

Your final  article must reach us by Friday, August 19,  2011.
1. Theme articles: Permaculture

possible questions to address (feel free to  pick and choose or innovate):
    *   Permaculture is a design  system that seeks the harmonious,
sustainable integration of people with  the natural world. Its principles and
practical  applications encompass not only the development of enduring
agricultural  systems but all aspects of “permanent culture,” from shelter, energy,
and  water systems to economic and social institutions to human and
ecological  well-being. Does your group aspire to incorporate permaculture in your
lives? If so, in what areas? And how?
    *   Are you involved in permaculture education, or in teaching people
about practices that are aligned with permaculture (even if you don’t use
that specific term)? How does a community setting lend itself (or not) to
teaching people about permaculture?
    *   Does your community or group embody and demonstrate aspects of
permaculture, even if you don’t offer formal courses?
    *   What practical applications of permaculture have you or your group
been able to enact?
    *   Has “permaculture”  proven problematic or challenging for you or
your group? Do you find other  systems more useful? What are the pitfalls of
a permacultural  approach?
    *   In land management,  food growing, or other areas, have
permaculturalists in your community  clashed with advocates of other approaches? For
example, have you debated  the merits of introduced nonnative plants in the
landscape, forest  gardening vs. production agriculture, sheet mulching vs.
tractor  tillage?
    *   What social aspects of permaculture does your group embody?
    *   Does your group have a high rate of turnover? If so, what are the
implications for your permacultural aspirations? Can a shifting population
achieve social or ecological sustainability?
    *   Does permaculture align or conflict with your contemporary local
culture? With indigenous traditions in your area? With “settler”  traditions
in your area? With your country’s broader culture? With global  culture?
    *   What are the challenges and reasons for hope in enacting
permaculture  in our own lives, in our communities, and in the wider world?

Please  remember that we are looking for stories, personal experiences, and
concrete  examples in your answers—these are what will make your ideas and
observations  most “real” and relevant to readers.

[Please forward  this email to anyone you think has a good story on this
theme for  Communities.]

2. We are also seeking articles  about:
    *   Creating  community in your neighborhood;
    *   Starting a new  community;
    *   Process and  communication issues in community; and
    *   Seeking  community to join.
Suggested submission length is from 300 to 2500 words. We invite
submissions ranging from short vignettes to extensively-developed articles,  and also
invite suggestions of recommended resources and article leads. We’re
seeking articles written in a reader-friendly, popular-magazine style, rather
than in an academic style. We ask contributors to share  stories and
experiences, not just ideas; write about challenges, not just  successes; and
describe specific situations that will help your story come  alive for the reader.
Before you start writing, please check
_http://communities.ic.org/submit.php_ (http://communities.ic.org/submit.php)   or contact us for our full
Writers’ Guidelines—and let us know your article idea  so that we can give
feedback on how it may fit into Communities. Contact Chris Roth at
_editor at ic.org_ (mailto:editor at ic.org) .

If you don’t want to write an  article but want to submit photos, please
check _http://communities.ic.org/submit.php_
(http://communities.ic.org/submit.php)  or contact Yulia Zarubina at  _layout at ic.org_ (mailto:layout at ic.org)
for our Photo  Guidelines.

I. What  “Submitting an  Article” Means. We will promise  to read your
article, but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it,  or save it and
publish it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to  edit, shorten,
or revise your article. Most of the time we contact authors  about this
ahead of time and get their comments, corrections,  etc.

II. Getting Permission Ahead of Time. Please send the article only when
you have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow community
members. We endeavor to present a diversity of views on  community, including
controversial or critical views, in a respectful and  cooperative manner. If
your article may generate controversy or strong  reactions, or if the
group(s) would want the chance to review it, please share  your draft with group
members to get their input before sending it to  us. (Please see our Writers’
 Guidelines for additional details.)

III. Publication  Rights. Once your  article appears in Communities, we own
first North American  Publishing Rights. This means your article appears in
 Communities  the first time it appears in North America. In addition to
appearing in  Communities, your article may also appear on  our website or in
future compilations. You retain all other rights to it.  If you’d like to
use it elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate your using  an attribution
line saying, “This article first appeared in  Communities: Life in
Cooperative  Culture, (date); for further information  on Communities:
_communities.ic.org_ (http://www.ic.org/) .”

IV.  Photos. If we publish your article, we want  to accompany it with
compelling images that illustrate your subject. You know  your subject best, so
we are appealing to you for images. If others in your  community or group
like taking pictures, they might already have great images  to go with your
article. If you would like to submit an  article but cannot supply photos, that
’s fine; however, please give us plenty  of advance notice so that if we
use your article we can get an illustrator.  Please check
_http://communities.ic.org/submit.php_ (http://communities.ic.org/submit.php)  or email us for
our full Photo  Guidelines. We also appreciate an author photo to accompany
your short  (several-line) author bio.

Thanks for your contributions!

Chris  Roth
Editor,  Communities