[Scpg] FIRST SANTA BARBARA GREEN LIVING CO-OP WORKSHOP SATURDAY JULY 23 9AM-1PM

Barbara Wishingrad seaandmts2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 23:06:16 PDT 2011

FIRST SANTA BARBARA GREEN LIVING CO-OP WORKSHOP SATURDAY JULY 23 9AM-1PM

We are
excited to announce that we have scheduled our first Co-op
workshop which will be doing earthworks at a residence in Ellwood. It
will be held on Saturday, July 23, 2011 from 9AM-1PM. The workshop is
free and open to the public; pre-registration is required.  Only 6-8 participants can be accepted. Co-op
membership is also free although not required to participate n the
workshop. Refreshments and beverages will be provided as is the case
with all Co-op workshops.

 This home is a
fairly recent purchase and the owner is redoing the yard creating a
Permaculture design.  The soil is heavy clay but it has been amended and
 will be soaked the
day before we begin to work to make it easier to dig (it won't be wet).
This is an
incredible opportunity for learning both hands on and considering the
design.  This particular workshop will focus on one side of the backyard
 but the front and rest of the back are also in the process of being
redesigned.

 There are water
management challenges, and opportunities to see the selection of
appropriate water wise, native and edible plants that will go onto the
property.  There is also a degree of slope that needs to be considered.
 All in all this will be a wonderful opportunity to see the mission of
the Co-op in action, meet and work with other members and others from
the greater Santa Barbara community, and to start to lay
down sustainable development in our community.  Because the Green Living
 Co-op is still getting started, we would appreciate if you can bring
digging tools with you--please let me know ahead of time what you can
bring. This is not required but would be helpful if possible. Remember,
sign up in advance is
required and you do need to sign a liability form when you arrive.
Catlow Shipek, Senior Program Manager of WMG, will be in Santa Barbara
to lead the workshop with Barbara Wishingrad.

 For more information or
to sign up for this event, please contact Barbara Wishingrad at bwishingrad at watershedmg.org or 805-403-4566.

"Magical kinship should be encouraged at all times, for it is what makes life bearable."
Caroline Casey