[Scpg] Looking for large scale aquaponics expert

Dan Hemenway permacltur at aol.com
Fri Jul 15 14:09:24 PDT 2011

I strongly recommend that you contact John Todd at Ocean Arks International.  He also does Center for the Restoration of Waters.  The last address we have for him was at 10 Shanks Pond Rd., Falmouth MA 02540 USA.  We have not verified that address since Sept. 2002, however.  On the other hand, he had been there just about forever.  If John doesn't want to do it (he is even older than I am), you might ask for leads.  The other person, who has actual experience in tropical aquaculture, is Bill MacLarney, author of The Freshwater Aquaculture Book.  (If you do a search, try fresh water as two words also.)  John may know where Bill is currently.  Last I knew he was at 1120 Meadows Rd. Franklin NC 28734 USA.  We last verified that address in Nov. 2001.  Bill was the central figure in founding ANAI in Costa Rica, and may also know someone there with relevant experience.  This may be a better lead than John, as I think about it, since ANAI worked in depressed tropical conditions. (I'm assuming that this is for your Haiti project).  I don't know if they worked at the scale you want, though.  I'm not sure that large scale is the way to go, in any case, vs. small scale family-operated businesses than use a readily replicated model.  I guess this depends on the goals of your clients.

Dan Hemenway
Yankee Permaculture (publications)
Info from TRIP (The Resources of International Permaculture) database