[Scpg] Breaking news: Bill McKibben arrested at White House

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Wed Aug 24 11:48:25 PDT 2011

Looks like the climate issue is heating up, just as the planet is...

"largest collective act of civil disobedience in the history of the
climate movement"

Climate activist Bill McKibben, founder of 350.org (who  contributed an
essay to our book Ecotherapy: Healing with Nature in  Mind (Sierra Club Books)
has been arrested at the White  House.

Below is the report we received... The climate change movement seems to be
transitioning into a more politically active phase with an increased sense
of  urgency.

Linda

Bill is just getting out of prison after spending 48 hours in a tiny cell
-- and here in DC spirits are high and resolve is strengthening with each
passing hour. For the past three days, large groups of Americans have  joined
a non-violent civil disobedience action at the White House. The goal is  to
send President Obama a simple message: “Stop the Keystone  XL Tar Sands
Pipeline.” These protests will continue over the next two  weeks -- and what
the activists in DC need more than anything is the  knowledge that there is a
massive global movement backing them up.
 (http://act.350.org/go/127?akid=1200.221605.o2HNn4&t=1)
 (http://act.350.org/go/127?akid=1200.221605.o2HNn4&t=2)
There are three ways that you can stand in solidarity from wherever  you
are:
_1. Sign the  petition to President Obama to reject the Keystone XL
Pipeline_ (http://act.350.org/go/127?akid=1200.221605.o2HNn4&t=3)  --  we’ve
already rocketed past our initial goal of 35,000 signatures and are hoping  to add
as many names as possible before we deliver it to White House officials  on
September 3rd.
_2. Send in a  solidarity message_
(http://act.350.org/go/248?akid=1200.221605.o2HNn4&t=4)  or photo to the people taking action at the  White House.
_3. Take part in  Moving Planet_
(http://act.350.org/go/77?akid=1200.221605.o2HNn4&t=5)  -- a worldwide climate rally on September 24 -- and  move
beyond all fossil fuels in the loudest, most  beautiful way possible.
You probably know that building the Keystone XL pipeline is a  terrible
idea. The oil it will carry from Canada’s tar sands will  travel all the way
from northern Alberta to the Gulf of Mexico. Think: oil  spilling all over
America's heartland. Think: way more  CO2 all over the atmosphere, since the
tar sands are  among the most carbon-intensive of all the fossil fuels. With
so  many strikes against the Keystone pipeline, it’s understandable that
folks are  so fired up and willing to put their bodies on the line to stop it.
_350.org_ (http://act.350.org/go/19?akid=1200.221605.o2HNn4&t=6)   isn’t
organizing the action in DC, but there’s _a separate  website to find out more
about the two weeks of daily sit-ins at the White  House_
(http://act.350.org/go/250?akid=1200.221605.o2HNn4&t=7)  (today was just day #3).
When nominated for President in 2008, Barack Obama promised that his
administration would ensure “the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet
began to heal.” It’s not a protest I feel like I’ve been watching unfold
here in  DC -- but a big and beautiful reminder of that vision.
With rising hope from DC,
Will Bates for the _350.org_
(http://act.350.org/go/19?akid=1200.221605.o2HNn4&t=8)   Team
P.S. Our  friends in DC just made an beautiful video about Day 1 of the
action in DC -- _click here to  watch it_
(http://act.350.org/go/251?akid=1200.221605.o2HNn4&t=9)  and be sure to share it with your friends on _Twitter_
(http://act.350.org/go/252?akid=1200.221605.o2HNn4&t=10)   and _Facebook_
(http://act.350.org/go/253?akid=1200.221605.o2HNn4&t=11) .
P.P.S. For an extra dose of inspiration, check out a few of my favorite
photos from the protest:

Standing Strong on Day 3! (Photo Credit:  Josh Lopez)

Youth Keep Spirits High as Arrests Begin  (Photo Credit: Shadia Fayne Wood)

Bill Mckibben Speaks to Tar Sands Action  Participants (Photo Credit:
Shadia Fayne Wood)

Media Take Opportunity To Capture A Piece of  The Action at the White House
Protest of Keystone XL (Photo Credit: Josh  Lopez)

____________________________________

350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate
crisis. Our online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions
are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers in over 188
countries. You can join 350.org on Facebook by becoming a fan of our page at
_facebook.com/350org _ (http://facebook.com/350org) and follow us on
twitter by visiting _twitter.com/350_ (http://twitter.com/350) . To join our list
(maybe a  friend forwarded you this e-mail) visit _www.350.org/signup_
(http://www.350.org/signup) . To support our work,  donate securely online at
_350.org/donate_ (http://350.org/donate) .

What is 350? 350  is the number that leading scientists say is the safe
upper limit for carbon  dioxide in our atmosphere. Scientists measure carbon
dioxide in "parts per  million" (ppm), so 350ppm is the number humanity needs
to get below as soon as  possible to avoid runaway climate change. To get
there, we need a different kind  of PPM–a "people powered movement" that is
made of people like you in every  corner of the planet.