[Scpg] Interview/Audio Joel Salatin: How to Prepare for A Future Increasingly Defined By Localized Food & Energy:

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Sep 4 21:11:01 PDT 2011

Transcript for Joel Salatin: How to Prepare for A Future Increasingly
Defined By Localized Food & Energy
http://www.chrismartenson.com/blog/joel-salatin-how-prepare-future-increasingly-defined-localized-food-energy/61949

Below is the transcript for Joel Salatin: How to Prepare for A Future
Increasingly Defined By Localized Food & Energy:

Chris Martenson: Welcome to another ChrisMartenson.com podcast. I am, of
course, Chris Martenson, and today we are speaking with Joel Salatin,
one of the most visible and influential leaders in the organic food and
sustainable farming movement. His family owns and manages Polyface
Farms, which has been featured prominently in such modern food movement
masterworks as The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan and the
documentary Food, Inc. If you haven’t seen it, it’s an incredible eye
opener; it was for me. Joel’s unconventional but highly innovative
farming practices are inspiring millions to increase their nutritional
and community resiliency by seeking out local sources of chemical-free
food raised using natural process-based farming practices. Joel, I’m a
huge fan of your work and the practices you advocate. I apply a number
of them in the management of my own small homestead in rural Mass. It’s
a real honor to be speaking with you.

Joel Salatin: Thank you; it’s an honor to be with you, Chris.

Chris Martenson: Well, thanks. Could you please give our listeners a
short background on what you see as your mission, what its key tenets
are, and why what you are doing is so important?

Joel Salatin: Sure. Well, our mission statement is to develop
environmentally, emotionally, and economically enhanced food prototypes
and duplicate their production throughout the world. So its all about
these food production prototypes that not only are economically and
environmentally beneficial but also have a social - we say ‘emotional’
just so we can have three E’s - but it’s a triple-bottom-line deal. And
wonderfully, if you get creative enough, you don’t have to sacrifice the
ecology in order to have a profitable business and you don’t have to
sacrifice profit in order to have an ecological business. So the
principles are relatively few; you know it all backs up to biomimicry,
for sure.

In other words, what we want to do is take natural templates and draw a
circle around them like a pattern, cut them out, and put them on our
commercial farming landscape and duplicate those natural patterns. So
what are those natural patterns?

Well, the things that have been regenerated and built soil for centuries
are not tillage and annuals, which of course are both things that our
culture worships. Rather, they are perennials, trees and forages and
herbivores and periodic disturbance, whether by fire, mob grazing, or
other disturbances that are created by predator-type things. And then
rest periods. Rest periods for recuperation and to metabolize the
disturbance factor.

So as soon as you start doing those kinds of things, that means you are
going to move the animals, they are not going to stay in one place, it's
going to be primarily perennially based, so we are always looking at how
can we harvest acorns from the trees into pork, for example. It’s going
to be perennial grasses, not annual grasses or grains. And its going to
be portable infrastructure, not permanent or non-portable
infrastructure, which means all of the facilities, the shelters, the
control things like fences and things like that are all going to be
light-weight, gentle-footprinted, portable type things. The fertility is
not going to depend on things brought in from across the world, but they
are going to depend on recycling solar-created biomass onsite; that’s
the carbon cycle. Sun makes the plants, the plants grow, the plants
either get eaten or decay, and the decay feeds the soil life, which
makes more plants grow, and that carbon cycle moves in a cyclical
pattern onsite, not from offsite. So there is always a heavy component
of animals, perennials, disturbance, rest, portability, and real-time
carbon cycling.

Chris Martenson: And so this, you’ve been doing this for a while, and so
you have measurable results that the soil is being built and that you
can do this profitably. I assume at this point we can say it’s a
success? You can farm this way and it works?

Joel Salatin: [laugh] Oh, unquestionably. Our family came here in 1961,
which is 50 years ago. Bought the most run-down, gullied, depleted,
mined-out farm in the whole area. In fact, we measured the deepest gully
was 16’ deep. And we had so little soil we couldn’t even hold up
electric fence stakes. Dad poured concrete in old used car tires and
then pushed a half inch pipe, one straight up and down and one on a
little bit of an angle, and my brother, who was a little bit older than
I, we’d sit on the platform on the tractor and heave these things off as
Dad drove slowly down the field. He’d come along and put electric fence
stakes in them because we didn’t have enough soil to hold up electric
fence stakes, and it doesn’t take much soil to hold up electric fence
stakes. That’s how we started, and we could barely handle ten cows.
Today we usually handle 100 cows. All of those bare-rock places have
several inches of soil over them, and the gullies, we filled a lot of
the gullies in with silt that we dug out of bottoms to build ponds, so
we have ponds built and the gullies filled in and arguably the most
productive farm in the whole area.

Chris Martenson: And so if this is possible, how many people are
following it, and of the people who aren’t adhering to these sorts of
practices, what’s going on there? Why aren’t they?

Joel Salatin: Well, our neighbors think we are bioterrorists. Because
only a bioterrorist would run chickens out in the field where they can
commiserate with red wing blackbirds and indigo buntings and take our
diseases to the science-based types of chicken houses and threaten the
planet’s food supply with disease. So not only are people not clamoring
to do this, but we are being demonized by the mainstream agriculture
community, and it’s pretty serious, including the food police, who don’t
like small scale backyard processing or kitchens or anything like that,
they want everything to go through a multi-million dollar facility with
chlorine and fumigants and a lot of toxic sanitizers to sterilize
everything.

There are major, major differences of opinion about what ‘proper food’
is. There is a big difference between sanitation and sterilization. You
and I don’t have sterile insides; our insides have three trillion beings
to take this food and make it flesh of our flesh and bone of our bone,
and we better be thinking about what that community wants. And that
community is far from sterile. It’s a very active bacterial, biological
community. And so we live in strange days when Coca Cola, Twinkies, and
Coco Puffs are considered safe, but raw milk, compost-grown tomatoes,
and Aunt Matilda’s pickles are considered hazardous substances.

Chris Martenson: There’s a lot to be fighting here. What does the fight
center around; is it just as simple as profits at this point in time, or
is it frankly just easier to farm with the other practices? Where do you
draw the line on that?

Joel Salatin: Well, we can start with the philosophical difference that
we think that food is fundamentally biological and most of the culture
thinks that food is primarily mechanical. And that’s why we can pull DNA
structure and genes from a pig and put some in a pepper plant and some
in a salmon and have a brand new life form; that’s a parts-oriented
thing, like pieces of an engine. But some of us believe that life is
fundamentally biological not mechanical, the difference being that
biological systems can heal, they have resiliency, and they have a
reason to be, a reason to exist that demands respect, I call it the
“pigness of the pig” and the “cowness of the cow.”

And when you disrespect that - for example, when the USDA took farmers
like me to free dinners for 30 years to teach us the new science-based
feeding of cattle with dead cows, we did not do it because we didn’t
like the USDA or because we were Luddites or not progressive or hated
science; we didn’t do it because there was no pattern or template in
nature in which herbivores eat carrion. And so, 30 years later, there is
this big collective “Oops, maybe we shouldn’t oughta done that.” You
know, as this mechanical approach toward life has caught up to us with
bovine spongiform encephalopathy. And in fact, that’s exactly what has
created, you know the E.coli, salmonella, all these things are modern
mutations and toxic proliferations that have become mainstream with a
mechanical view towards life. We’ve even got research now going to try
to isolate the porcine stress gene so we can take that stress gene out
of the pig and abuse him a little more aggressively, but at least he
won’t be stressed about it. A culture that views its life with that kind
of conquistador, mechanical, disrespectful, manipulative mentality will
soon view its citizens the same way and other cultures the same way.

Chris Martenson: So what’s the end of that story if man, woman, humans
set themselves apart from nature? And we do that, when you gaze across
the agricultural landscape, what kind of damage are you seeing being
done? Is it a one-way cul-de-sac that ends in famine at some point or
what is it that you see in these practices that ultimately leads you to
very, very strongly eschew them?

Joel Salatin: Yes, well, what we are seeing is exactly what we are
seeing right now. We are seeing childhood leukemia, we are seeing gluten
intolerance. I mean, how many people did you know 30 years ago that were
intolerant to gluten in wheat?

Chris Martenson: None.

Joel Salatin: And part of that’s because we streamlined the harvesting
so fast industrially that the wheat never gets shocked and never gets
any mold in it to break down some of these enzymes that are real hard
for our bodies to break down. And so you are seeing Type II diabetes,
you are seeing obesity, and we are just seeing a proliferation of these
chronic-type things that are a result of bushels of material that is not
nutrient-dense or is not nutritionally-based and its certainly isn’t
food that we have been used to eating.

Our bodies, that three trillion member community in our insides, is not
meant to receive substances that you can’t pronounce or you can’t make
in your kitchen. Or that were grown with artificials. Sir Albert Howard
said in 1943 in his foundational work in agricultural testament that
when we use artificial manure (that’s what he called chemical
fertilizers) artificial manures for the soil, then they grow artificial
plants, which then make artificial animals, which then make artificial
humans, which require artificials in order to keep us alive. And if that
isn’t a commentary on where we are today with the drug trade and the
pharmaceutical industry, I don’t know what is. In the last 35 years, our
culture has exchanged an 18% per capita expenditure on food and 9% on
health care to 18% on health care and 9% on food. And I would suggest
that it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to think there might be a
connection between the inversion of those two numbers.

Chris Martenson: Well, I mean certainly anybody who has seen the obesity
maps that I think the NIH has put out, they are really quite impressive
stretching from the ‘50’s to current and just watching the obesity
epidemic spread across - clearly that has to be due to something, we
might think food. One of the areas I’ve been focused on for a while
because I’m very focused on the energy sphere and wondering how energy
feeds into everything and, of course, it feeds into our food system
enormously and one area is in nutrient cycling. So if we have our
typical NPK - nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium - you know those
things are mined somewhere or manufactured and trucked and put in a
field and then something is grown and harvested and put on a plate and
then it gets flushed out to sea, never to be seen again in usable
quantities. So, this whole idea of nutrient cycling – but those are just
the big ones - there are micronutrients as well that are incredibly
important. How does your approach incorporate and deal with the nutrient
cycling?

Joel Salatin: Well that’s a great question. Well what stimulates the
nutrient cycling is the onsite biomass regeneration cycle. Not the least
of which of course is the earthworm community. You know it’s amazing
that earthworms can eat a pound of stuff in their front end and send it
through their alimentary canal, bring it out their back end, the same
pound of stuff, and its like three times the calcium, seven times the
nitrogen, eleven times the potassium, fourteen times the phosphorous,
plus an elevating of all the whole trace elements, boron, cobalt,
copper, molybdenum - all those things are increased. And what’s amazing
is that nobody knows how that’s done. It’s actually not concentrated,
it’s actually acted on by some sort of activity in the earthworm. Some
bacteria for example, are free living, they are not rhizomes like legume
roots like alfalfa and clover, they are free-living bacteria that will
bring up to 100 lbs. of nitrogen per acre per year out of the atmosphere
and put it in the soil but they only really become active at 4% organic
matter and most of our soils are not anywhere close to 4% organic matter
anymore. They used to be, back when the buffalo were here and perennial
grasses, but they are not now. I think it’s fascinating that we actually
produced more nutrient density in what is now the U.S. 600 years ago,
than we actually do today, even with all of our petroleum and
everything, So the whole secret of the nutrient cycling is to tap into
the green material to capture more solar energy, put it into green
material that can de-compose and go into the soil, and the best way to
do that is with an herbivore - lamb, goat, cow - some sort of herbivore,
that is what I call the bio- mass accumulation re-start button to prune
that forage off and re-start the fast biomass accumulation cycle. If you
don’t have that, what you just have is the bio-mass just goes into
senescence and in senescence simply vaporizes the CO2 off into the
atmosphere and it doesn’t do anything any good. So it’s the animal that
recycles, that starts that whole fast metabolism cycle to metabolize the
solar energy into biomass through photosynthetic activity.

Chris Martenson: I think you are talking about something really radical
here is that our own health is linked to and part and parcel of the
health of the world in which we live, I mean its crazy talk right there
don’t you think?

Joel Salatin: [laugh] Yes. But that is the only way to only have a
regenerative, sustainable system. Our culture is a kind of product of
the Greco, Roman, Western, linear, reductionist, compartmentalized,
fragmented system that ties parts oriented thinking, in which nothing
relates to anything else. And so we study things by tearing them apart
and not seeing how they fit into a whole. And of course life isn’t like
that. And you can’t extract your living from the hydrology cycle, from
the energy cycle, from the biomass generation cycle, ultimately – what I
always tell people is to realize, it’s a profound thought - that
everything that we see is completely and utterly dependant on an unseen
world of beings in the soil that never make it to the page of a business
plan or a bank statement. Nobody asks about this trillion, multiply
trillions and trillions of organisms that live in the soil and yet,
everyone of us is utterly and completely dependent on that world. And
yet we don’t even put it in the business plan as an important part of
what we are doing. We don’t think about it in the shower in the morning
when we are getting ready to go to work “Let’s see, how are my
activities today going to impact this soil web, this miraculous,
mystical, awesome, unseen world that runs all the plants, all the
animals, all the water cycle, all the nutrient cycling? What are my
activities today going to do to that?” We don’t even think about that in
the shower in the morning.

Chris Martenson: Right, we’ve got the U.N. projecting through their
population studies – they have a branch that has projected that by 2050
we are going to have to basically double food output across the globe.
You know, obviously our oceans are pretty well tapped out and it turns
out that a lot of the gains, the productivity gains that we experienced
in the so-called “green revolution” - yes there were some neat variety
tinkering in genetics and stuff in there, but mostly that was irrigation
and the application of the artificial fertilizers and all of that. In
your mind, can the type of farming practices that you are talking about,
can those be the gateway that will allow us to actually increase our
food production to levels that are being talked about or is even that
just silly talk at this point in time – we are going to have to fine
some other way to adjust here?

Joel Salatin: Oh, there is no question, absolutely no question, that
these systems are far more productive. Just to give you an example. On
our farm, in our county, one of the measures for pasture production is
in cow days per acre. In other words a ‘cow day’ is what one cow will
eat in a single day – that’s one cow day. And so in our county, the
average cow days per acre is currently 80 cow days per acre. That’s what
an acre of pasture does. On our farm, and I already told you at the top
of the program what our farm looked like 50 years ago without a single
chemical fertilizer and without planting a seed, we own no plow and no
disc, and in 50 years, we have moved this farm to average 400 cow days
per acre – that’s five times the county average. And so, the fact is, if
Monsanto figured out a way to get 1% increase in yields in something it
would make the front page of the New York Times. I’m telling you ways to
double and triple production without chemical fertilizer, without even
planting anything and it doesn’t make the obitituary page.

So yes, these systems work. And the way they work is to go back to
historically – well the way nature built soils in the first place; which
was with primarily herbivores. So if you really want to eat on a low
energy system, quit eating chicken and quit eating so much pork and eat
grass-finished beef because grass-finished herbivore is the most
nutrient dense substance that doesn’t require any tillage. It fertilizes
itself, and doesn’t require any tillage. As soon as you take that
herbivore and put it in a feedlot, on an irrigated grain-based system,
then it all breaks down from an energy standpoint and, of course, that’s
where a lot of the studies that impugn livestock come from. But
throughout the world, the great prairies and the great soil building
regions of the world, from the Serengetti in Africa to the plains of
America with buffalo to the Australian continent 200 years ago that had
10 marsupial species to do the disturbance, all of those were built with
herbivores, disturbances, and rest and perennials. Those are the four
cornerstones of a system that works. The reason all civilizations
throughout history have been built around the herbivore, lamb, goat or
cow is because the herbivore is the only domestic animal that can
harvest non-tilled, non-planted material. Omnivores like chickens and
pigs require some sort of a grain component which then requires tillage.
And until cheap energy and cheap machinery, tillage was extremely
expensive. You know if you had to go out and walk all day with a sharp
stick behind an ox or a yak or a mule, you couldn’t stir very much soil,
you had to plant by throwing it out with your hand, then you had to hand
weed and you had to hand scythe, shock it up and bring it in to a hard
floor where you could beat it to separate the grain from the husk then
you had to take a crude wooden pitchfork and fling it up in the air in a
breeze to -I’m sorry flailing was the first one – this is winnowing. To
winnow out the chaff and at the end of the day you look on the ground
and “Oh we’ve got some grain here and now we are going to try and store
it in something away from the mice and the rats for a year.” .. before
the time of sheet metal and mesh wire. Historically, grain was extremely
expensive and hard come by which is why poultry was only eaten by kings
and poultry and pigs were only grown enough to salvage the waste stream
from the homestead. The main thing was lamb, goat and cow which was the
herbivore. That was the main thing - or deer or bison or whatever - but
the point is, that those herbivorous creatures can do or are made to do
very well without any tillage whatsoever. And tillage has only actually
been doable on a large, grand scale just in the last century.

Chris Martenson: I’m glad you mentioned the energy portion of the cycle.
At ChrisMartenson.com we spend a lot of time on energy, we look at the
food supply as being critically vulnerable to the impact of peak oil’s
arrival. You know after all fossil fuel energy inputs vastly exceed the
caloric output of most so-called modern farms. So our view is you we
cannot really increasingly use a limited resource forever. Our view is
that most people alive today will experience a decline of oil firsthand,
not meaning it runs out but we have slightly less and less. And it’s a
huge, huge implication behind that. And we also focus on helping people
develop personal resiliency, starting with food: storing food, finding
local suppliers, even growing at least a small percentage of their
calories so they can be connected to the food supply more personally.
What guidance are you offering to people, to our listeners in terms of
how they should be or might begin to think about interacting with their
food supply?

Joel Salatin: Oh – such a great question. It’s a broad span, I would say
number one – find your kitchen. I mean, a processed food is heavily
packaged, packaging is extremely expensive: it’s essentially stored for
a long time and it has a long distribution cycle. I mean fifteen hundred
miles per morsel is kind of the average. And so my first advice to
anybody, is buy unprocessed, raw, and fix it in your kitchen. That will
drop the energy footprint way, way, way down and as soon as we do that,
then of course, the next step is to either grow some or buy it locally.
There are thousands of high quality, nutrient-dense
ecologically-encouraging farms that are selling - from farmer’s markets
to community supported agriculture to on-arm stands to metropolitan
buying clubs to retail boutiques, whatever but there are plenty of these
kinds of things. Buying organic from a thousand miles away doesn’t get
the job done. It’s just as energy intensive as anything else and so we
want.. that’s part of this whole local food awareness.

Now, can a locality feed itself? Absolutely, think about the amount of
food, the kinds of food that can be grown within 100 miles of you. And
just think about going down to the supermarket, walk through the isles
and say, how much of this could be grown with 100 miles? And in northern
climes if we take off citrus and coffee and tea and sugar, it can almost
all be grown there. And so, its arguable, I think this is a fascinating
thing, its really arguable right now, whether a culture which has
incarcerated twice as many people in prisons as it has farmers growing
its food – whether a culture is that disconnected from its ecological
umbilical can even survive? So, I think here again, we have to approach
this from an integrated holistic standpoint. If the common temptation is
for you and I to say, “Well you gotta do something, you gotta do
something different, you need to do this and that and the other.” And we
fail to realize that we are part of the issue. And none of the situation
that we’ve gotten ourselves into is a result of any one person’s doing –
it’s a collective accumulation of a new societal protocol, which I would
suggest is very historically abnormal. So first of all, find your
kitchen, then source your food locally, and then grow some yourself. For
example, to just show how disintegrated our thinking is, we’ve got now
for example, in New England we’ve got confinement dairies who 20 years
ago got environmental awards for taking taxpayer money to put in manure
lagoons as a manure management program; now they are getting taxpayer
sponsored money to cover those lagoons with rubber bladders to capture
the methane so they are getting little green environmental awards for
being green and capturing methane so they can run all of the expensive
fans and machinery and buildings and equipment that’s necessary in a
confinement dairy operation. What we need to be doing is shutting down
the confinement dairy operation, turning the herbivores back out on the
perennials, like they were meant to be, letting them self-harvest,
self-fertilize and shut down the entire concentrated animal feeding
operations, with all of its intendant energy requirements. Same thing
goes for example, for restaurants or let’s take a college that figures
out “let’s take all of our kitchen scraps and send them up the road ten
miles to the composing outfit” and then the dining services coordinator
gets a nice plaque and a little award for being green because now they
are composing their kitchen scraps. What we need to be doing is building
a little chicken house adjoining the back door of the kitchen so all the
kitchen scraps can go right out into the chickens, the chickens then can
eat that and produce eggs, now we don’t have to grow any grain, till the
grain - chickens resume their historically normal cycle which was the
homestead salvage operation to take all the kitchen scraps and whey
scraps and cheese scraps and all that and convert it into eggs. Now we
don’t even have to have concentrated animal feeding operations for
chickens anymore and the Humane Society can rejoice that we don’t have
any battery egg production. You don’t have to truck those eggs into the
city, into the college, and eggs go right to the dining services and the
kitchen scraps go out and it’s a beautiful, beautiful circle. That is
the kind of integration - you know we talk about windmills, and getting
energy and stuff, my goodness - if we would take, if we would take on
every southern exposure of every house and office building and school
whatever, if we would just take wire mesh or cattle panels and just tip
up a frame and cover it with plastic to make a simple solarium, 8’ out
from the southern side of every building we could virtually heat all the
buildings without any energy and grow our mesculen mix and shut down all
the trucks bringing California produce to New England over the
wintertime. If all the diesel fuel being put through refrigerated trucks
to bring unseasonable produce to New England and Virginia – I’ll call it
the northern tier – if all that diesel fuel was converted into plastic
to make coop houses, season extensions and solariums on the south side
of buildings, we wouldn’t have to run any of those trucks, we wouldn’t
have to build any of those roads, we wouldn’t have to use any of that
energy to do that. And that becomes, see, that’s an integrated holistic
approach rather than some sort of “I’m going to continue to eat my
California-introduced mesculen mix in February in New York City. Hang
the system and let’s figure out how to make more cheap fuel.”

Chris Martenson: Just thinking about the issues before us and maybe
trying to find clever ways around it, I’m personally shocked and
sometimes dismayed at how far we still seem to need to go. For instance
in my local area, in Greenfield, Mass they are proposing a bio-mass
plant, it sounds all green and everything right? But its going to
require five or six hundred thousand tons of forest to be cut down,
trucked to the central location. And they are building it with the
intent that they need to do something with the waste heat so there is
all this piping that they are going to have to put in. Anybody who
treats heat as a ‘waste stream’ at this point in time, I don’t think
really deserves any green plaques, hasn’t really thought it through and
doesn’t understand much about what they are trying to solve.

Joel Salatin: Yes, I couldn’t agree with you more. Now, to be sure, I am
certainly a friend of biomass and I’m not interested in cutting down all
the forest, but it is a very, very renewable resource. In fact in
Austria, I’m told that virtually all of the urban homes are heated by
wood pellets. So like here in the U.S. where we have the propane or fuel
oil truck that goes along and fuels people’s fuel oil tanks and propane
tanks. There the same kind of truck goes along with a little auger in it
and stops at your basement window and augers your bin full of wood
pellets and you know goes on down the street to the next house. So you
know, I absolutely think that biomass certainly has a role to play and I
think that we have created some real problems by not cutting crooked and
diseased trees and things like that. Our national forests are in
deplorable shape. The Yellowstone fires were caused because of a no-cut
policy. Well instead of having a no-cut policy, let’s strategically cut
but apply good sylvacultural practices and there’s enough wood out there
to supply everything. Anytime a Scandinavian comes here for a visit –
they just go into epileptic seizures about how terribly inefficient
Americans are with their forests. And I couldn’t agree more. We’ve got a
build-up of waste, of junk wood oxidizing on the forest floor and that
certainly needs to be used and we need to cull and we need to weed our
forests just like anything else. But yes, unfortunately many of these
things are, again, they are so industrial scaled and so sized that they
are not community appropriate. When I think of energy, I think of
community-scaled. The thing is, in a given community, there might be a
creek with a lot of fall in it. Well whoever is on that creek can put in
a little Pelton wheel to run a hydro project. Maybe somebody else – like
us for example – we have hundreds of acres of really high-quality
well-growing trees on our farm, our forest. They need to be culled and
thinned and that sort of thing, maybe we could have a little steam
engine. And another neighbor with real good bottom land, maybe he wants
to grow some corn and run a little alcohol electric generation thing.
Maybe somebody else sits on a hilltop and has wind so he puts up a wind
generator. The point I’m making, is that when all of us plug into the
grid, with what we can offer, suddenly the community has power but its
completely decentralized, its autonomous to the community, and its and
all the facilities are at a scale that nests into the ecological womb of
the village. And that I think makes sense.

Chris Martenson: It does, it makes a lot of sense. I think we’ll get
there, is my view. But I think it’s going to require a bit of a crisis
first for some reason. We seem to be unable to get there on our own
terms. So we will get there by some other terms at some point.

Joel Salatin: Well, disturbance is always a precursor to innovation. You
never really have innovation until you have a level of disturbance. And
certainly expensive fuel is becoming a societal disturbance right now.
And you know if we would quit trying to build empires around the world
that would love us enough to continue our flow of oil and keep all that
money at home and let the fuel go to wherever it needs to be, it would
create a little more disturbance and we’d maybe become a lot more clever
about what we are doing. My mechanic - and I’m sure you have heard this
and I’ve collected these kinds of clippings for my lifetime - says that
even in the late 1960’s there was plenty of technology to build 100 mile
per gallon carburetors but the auto companies kept buying up these
backyard entrepreneur innovators, their patents and their products and
these things never saw the market. And I think it’s just absolutely
unspeakable, unconscionable, that we would have buried technology that
would have allowed us to quadruple our miles per gallon for that long. I
think it’s obscene.

Chris Martenson: Well there is a lot to be said for these disruptions
you are talking about, it’s our view that perhaps some are coming up.
Joel, I understand you have a book coming out this fall. Is that right?

Joel Salatin: Yes that’s correct. The title is Folks, This Ain’t Normal.
And it actually contains some of the things I’ve just been talking
about. When we talk about historical normalcy, high fuel prices and the
herbivore, the biomass cycle, all these kinds of things. This whole
century of cheap fuel, indiscriminate antibiotic use, the mechanics that
went along with it, unpronounceable food, and you know no chores for
children [laughs]. These are amazing times, including the whole food
police thing where you and I can’t just decide to eat what we want to
eat. These are all unprecedented trials in the history of civilization
and I think anybody under 50 today just can’t even fathom a time where
there were no TV dinners, no supermarkets, when we actually ate
seasonally, when 50% of all the vegetables were produced in backyard
gardens, when homes actually still had functioning larders - we don’t
even use the term larder today.

What we view today as normal I argue is simply not normal. Just think
about if you wanted to go to town 100 or 120 years ago, if you wanted to
go to town you actually had to go out and hook up a horse. That horse
had to eat something, which means you had to have a patch of grass
somewhere to feed that horse which meant you had to take care of some
perennial in order to feed that horse in order to go to town. And so you
had, throughout history, you had these kinds of what I call ‘inherent
boundaries’ or brakes on how much a single human could abuse the
ecology. And today, during this period of cheap energy, we’ve been able
to extricate ourselves from that entire umbilical, if you will, and just
run willy-nilly as if there is no constraint or restraint. And now we
are starting to see some of the outcome of that boundless, untied
progression. And so the chances are, the way to bet, is that in the
future we are going to see more food localization, we are going to see
more energy localization, we are going to see more personal
responsibility in ecological lifestyle decisions because its going to be
forced on us to survive economically we are going to have to start
taking some accounting of these ecological principles. And so those are
the kind of themes and the arguments I’ve put in the book. There is a
lot of satire, lot of humor and the title is Folks, This Ain’t Normal.

Chris Martenson: Great title, I get a lot from the title alone. So if we
were to summarize here: we have basically a lot of unsustainable
practices that just energetically don’t make sense, maybe ecologically
don’t make sense from a sustainability standpoint. Obviously we’d love
to be sustainable in this world because I’d like to think in a thousand
years, there will still be people here doing wonderful things. And at
the same time we note that disruptions are the way things change and so
anything that is unsustainable, the definition is it will someday stop.
Certainly there are warning signs abundantly strewn about the landscape
for anybody who cares to look. A lot of people are, that’s the good news.

And the other good news that I get from your message is that integrated
approaches and integrated understandings of how these pieces fit
together are well within our grasp. In fact there are working practices
out there, your farm being an example, or set of nested examples. So
this is all something that is not beyond us. We can do this but we are
just going to have to start with the understanding of where we are
living today is: “folks, it ain’t normal.”

Joel Salatin: Well said, well said, I couldn’t agree more.

Chris Martenson: Well, Joel it’s been a real pleasure talking to you and
I want to think you for this opportunity and wish you all the best.

Joel Salatin: Thank you Chris, it’s been an honor to be with you. Thank
you.

Chris Martenson: Goodbye.

Joel Salatin: Bye.