[Scpg] Social Forestry, Advanced Permaculture Course with Tom Ward

Melanie Mindlin sassetta at mind.net
Mon Sep 12 22:03:14 PDT 2011

Friends,
This would be a good time to register for the Social Forestry course
as early registration closes on Sept. 25th.  We hope you will be able
to join us.  You can visit us on the web at
siskiyoupermaculture.com.  Sorry if you got this twice (I forgot to
put in the subject line the first time.)
Melanie
-------------

Social Forestry, Advanced Permaculture Course
October 21-23 and November 11-13, 2011
This is a six day course over two extended weekends at Wolf Gulch
Farm in Southern Oregon with instructor Tom Ward.

Course Description: In the Social Forestry course students are
introduced to this field of ecosociology that connects villages and
communities to their forested water catchment basin.  Here in a
developed industrial empire, we have lost our sense of living with
forests as friends.  This course will explore reconnecting with
forests through ecological knowledge, the use of hand tools and
woodcrafts, seasonal festivals and work cycles, children's stories,
pilgrimages and stewardship covenants.  We will learn ecological
assessment, carbon sequestration methods, restoration forestry and
the crafts and products that can be enjoyed while we are re-
establishing our heart space and wonder in the woods.

Tom Ward has degrees in Forestry and Botany from Syracuse University
and has been managing a Social Forestry experimental station in the
Applegate for the last 10 years where he is demonstrating natural
building, fuel hazard materials utilization, multiple products woods-
crafting, wildlife enhancement and desert forest water management.
He is currently working on a book on the subject of Social Forestry.
Regarded by many as one of permaculture's most inspirational
teachers, Tom is looking forward to sharing his work in this area
with participants at the course.

Students who have taken their Permaculture Design Course will
received an Advance Permaculture Certificate for this course.  The
Social Forestry course is open to all who have a working knowledge of
permaculture.

The course fee is $420 if paid by September 25th, and $500 if paid
after that date.  See our website for an extended course description,
policies and logistics.  Contact Melanie by phone or e-mail to register.
sassetta at mind.net
541-482-7909