[Scpg] Santa Barbara/Thur Oct 20/Harvest the Rain Book-signing/Talk with Nate Downey

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Tue Oct 18 12:49:32 PDT 2011

Santa Barbara Evening Talk: Thursday, Oct 20, 7-9:30pm 2011
Emacs!
  ]

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network Presents:

Harvest the Rain, Book-signing & Talk with Nate Downey
Evening Talk, Thursday, Oct 20, 7-9:30pm 2011
Santa Barbara Central Library, Faulkner Gallery, Donation $5 (no
reservations required)
www.sbpermaculture.org

More Info:

If we want thriving landscapes, abundant food, strong communities,
and sustainable economies, we can start by treasuring the rain.

Join Nate Downey, author of the newly published book Harvest the Rain
on October 20, 7-9:30pm for a talk and book-signing event at the
Santa Barbara Public Library, Faulkner Gallery, as he shares thoughts
and strategies for taking advantage of rain, a precious resource that
falls free from the sky.

For millennia, people relied on rainwater harvesting to supply water
for households, landscape, livestock, and agricultural uses. Today,
our planet's water shortage is a reality for people worldwide, but
actually enough precipitation falls annually to provide ample water
for everybody.  We simply have to collect, store, distribute, and
reuse just a small percentage of that which falls from the sky.

Fortunately this way of saving the world comes with perks such as
increasing your property's value, lowering your utility bills, or
simply creating a comfortable oasis outside your door.

Nate Downey shows you the way with his practical book that anyone can
use to begin implementing rainwater harvesting designs today.
Harvest the Rain is low tech, designed for everyone, everywhere, even
for those with limited time and money.  In addition to cisterns, gray
water, and earthworks, the book shares important ways to help protect
your local watershed.

Nate Downey has been a successful permaculture landscape designer and
installer for eighteen years with his company Santa Fe Permaculture;
a columnist for the last twelve years for the Santa Fe New Mexican
Real Estate Guide, and a past President of the Permaculture Credit
Union.  He published Roof Reliant Landscaping in 2008.

The event takes place on Thursday, October 20, 7- 9:30pm, at the
Santa Barbara Central Library, Faulkner Gallery, 40 E. Anapamu St,
93101, in downtown Santa Barbara.  Donation $5, no reservations required.

Event sponsors: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network & the Permaculture
Credit Union

More info, www.sbpermaculture.org,
<mailto:margie at sbpermaculture.org>margie at sbpermaculture.org, (805) 962-2571

***Nate Downey Booktour: Sept 27-Oct 30 Portland Oregon to San Diego.
Official tour sponsor, Permaculture Credit Union www.pcuonline.org

Additional Resources:
    * Website Harvest the Rain Book  http://harvesttherain.com
    * Roof Reliant Landscaping ebook New Mexico Office of
Engineer  http://www.ose.state.nm.us/wucp_RoofReliantLandscaping.html
    * Santa Fe Permaculture www.santafepermaculture.com
    * American Rainwater Catchment Systems Association Annual meeting
Sept 27-29 Portland Oregon  <http://www.arcsa.org>http://www.arcsa.org
    * Nate Downey on You Tube:
    * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WW9-6CDwD8

-end-

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

PlPlease consider the environment before printing this email.