[Scpg] Permaculture events Nov 15th & 17th - no regular meeting Nov 16

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Thu Oct 27 15:16:46 PDT 2011

We usually have a Permaculture Guild of Santa Barbara meeting on the third
Wednesday evening of the month, but in November we have two other
permaculture  events that week, on Tuesday and Thursday, so we won't be meeting on
Wednesday.

On Tuesday November 15, 7:00 - 9:30pm the  Santa Barbara Permaculture
Network will be presenting a talk and book  signing by Patricia Foreman at 7 pm
at the Santa Barbara Central Library in the  Faulkner Gallery. Foreman is the
author of "City Chicks" which offers tips on how  to keep "micro-flocks" of
chickens as garden helpers, compost creators and for  food.

On Thursday November 17, 7:30-9:00pm the  Santa Barbara Green Co-op
presents Larry Saltzman, co-chair of the Permaculture  Guild of Santa Barbara and
the local chapter of the California Rare Fruit  Growers,  who will be
facilitating a talk and discussion on "How to Create Flourishing Fruit  Trees and
Food Forests While Watching Water Use". Larry and  his wife Linda Buzzell
have an urban food forest with over 100 fruit trees on  their 1/3 acre lot in
the Samarkand area of Santa Barbara. Most of the trees are  dry farmed, which
means they have only been watered during the first three years  to
establish them, and after that maybe once or twice a year. Larry will talk  about
selecting, buying, planting, and maintaining fruit trees that do well in  our
climate and can be dry farmed. He will also discuss why dry farming is such
a good way to care for trees, and what needs to be done to be most
successful in  this method. The event is free and open to the public and will take
place at the Watershed Resource Center at Arroyo Burro Beach in Santa
Barbara.

Hope you can make these great events.

Our next Permaculture Guild of Santa Barbara meeting will probably  be on
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 as the third  Wednesday in December falls on Dec
21, when a lot of us will already be on  holiday.

Linda

Linda  Buzzell-Saltzman
Member, Communications Team
Permaculture Guild of Santa  Barbara
lbuzzell at aol.com (805)  563-2089

"...the greatest change we need to make is from  consumption to production,
even if on a small scale, in our own gardens. If only  10% of us do this,
there is enough for everyone. Hence the futility of  revolutionaries who have
no gardens, who depend on the very system they attack,  and who produce
words and bullets, not food and shelter."
~ Bill Mollison,  co-creator of the Permaculture  concept