[Scpg] Beginner's Biogas Workshops...

David david at h4c.org
Tue Nov 22 17:46:32 PST 2011

Dear friends,

        ...If you are not interested in alternative energy, please
        ignore/delete...

This is David House, author of The Complete Biogas Handbook (here
<http://www.completebiogas.com>). As you might know, I also facilitate
Beginner's Biogas Workshops (as described on the workshops page linked
to the book's website, here <http://completebiogas.com/workshops.html>)...

I'm a permaculture novice, or maybe even a dilettante-- of very low
status in any case-- but based on what I've read of Mollison and
Holmgren, Jacke and others, it seems to me that the wealth of
information required to gain a certificate-- and indeed almost any
effort to live ecologically-- would benefit by more complete and
practical information about alternative energy. Direct solar energy is
of course a prime candidate, but for ages and cycles it has been the
/biological collection/ of solar energy that has powered human
systems. And except for food & fodder (and wood burning in a properly
designed stove), biogas is arguably the most efficient, least
expensive, most ecological form of biosolar energy. More so than
biodiesel; more so than ethanol... In fact. (More details? See this
article
<http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2010/03/why-is-biogas-renewable-energys-cinderella>.)

My particular attempt to assist mankind to move in the green
direction, in part, is by the above-mentioned workshops, which I've
been thinking of as "Zero to Biogas In Two Days". These evolving
workshops have been offered at many places in the US, and as far
afield as Australia. For example, in 2011, invitations came from the
prestigious National Center for Alternative Technology, by
permaculturists in CA and PA, by aquaponics practitioners in HI and FL
(among others) to provide workshops teaching people how to think
about, make and use biogas. (In Australia, our host was a farmer,
Steven Hobbs, who has run his tractors on biodiesel and SVO for the
better part of a decade, and who was interested in using the leftover
press-cake-- most often from from mustard seed, in his case-- to
produce biogas.)

And just now, I am in the process of setting up workshops for 2012.

What I am looking for are partners who are well-connected, who can
organize a suitable event, and who can mount an effective campaign to
inform people locally and regionally about the workshop. I provide
everything else, including a 200-gallon (0.75 cu m) biogas digester
kit for anyone who wants one. ($35 ea. to class participants. Treat it
right and it'll give you all the biogas you need for cooking your
meals...) The organizer(s) and I pay expenses out of income and share
the profits generated, as I can further explain to those interested.

So: would /you/ be interested in working with me to set up a workshop?
Please write to me and let's talk. I'll even throw in a couple of
jokes. (Let's not bother the list with our back and forth...)

And meanwhile, if you have a question about biogas, please let me
know, and I will answer as possible...

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.       But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/