[Scpg] STARHAWK New Book! The Empowerment Manual: A Guide for Collaborative Groups updated Fall Schedule!

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Dec 1 06:22:55 PST 2011

My new book, T/he Empowerment Manual: A Guide for Collaborative Groups
<http://www.starhawk.org/writings/empowerment_manual.html>/ is out in
the bookstores now, as well as online, and I'm very excited to be able
to share it with you all!  Click on the link
http://www.starhawk.org/writings/empowerment_manual.html to get a peek
inside and to download the free supplementary chapter: /The Five-Fold
Path of Productive Meetings. /I'm off on a whirlwind tour, doing
workshops and trainings on the book and support for various Occupy
movements--to see the whole schedule, scroll down below.

When I began writing /The Empowerment Manual: A Guide for Collaborative
Groups/, I wanted to offer some of the benefit of my experience,
including my many mistakes, to groups who were organizing without a
top-down, hierarchical structure.  I’ve been living and working in such
groups for more than forty years, and I felt like the many dreadful
meetings I’ve endured, the in-fights and the painful conflicts, as well
as the glorious moments of collective creativity and spiritual ecstasy,
should all count for something.  I saw so many groups struggling with
the same issues, whether they were spiritual circles, working groups,
communities struggling to organize or activists planning a protest.  And
I had a few insights that I felt might be helpful.

I didn’t know that half the world would decide, right when the book is
coming out, to go sit in the public square and organize leaderless
Occupations governed by consensus-based General Assemblies.  The Occupy
movement springs from many of the same sources that inspired the
book—the horizontally organized global justice movement of the last
decades and its antecedents, the anti-nuclear and anti-intervention
movements of the ‘seventies and ‘eighties.  But now more people than
ever before are suddenly immersed in the joys and challenges of
organizing non-hierarchically.

Groups without formal hierarchy are potentially empowering on a mass
scale. Unfortunately, we come into them from a lifetime of exposure to
hierarchy, with its patterns internalized.  We have few models and fewer
guidebooks to help us learn how to do it a different way.  There are
thousands of books on how to be a manager or a CEO of a corporation,
virtually none about how to walk the delicate line of stepping up to a
leadership role in a leaderless group.

Collaborative groups are a different species from hierarchical groups,
and understanding those differences can help us make them work more
effectively.  As kids, when we get in a fight Mom or Dad can step in and
say, “You two, break it up!”  In a top-down group, the boss or leader
steps in for Dad.  But when we remove that authority, there’s no one to
say, “Okay, time out.  Now apologize to each other, kiss and make up.”
Conflicts can be harder to resolve, unless we realize that the group
itself must find clear agreements on how to handle conflict and how to
support one another in directly and creatively solving our disputes.

Communication is more complex in a collaborative group.  In a hierarchy,
there’s a chain of command.  You know whom to report to, and who reports
to you.  But in a collective, ten of us might make a decision—forgetting
that member number eleven is home sick with stomach flu.  Maybe we also
forget to inform Number Eleven of our decision—and then forget that
we’ve forgotten.  Number Eleven discovers we’ve set a key policy without
her, and feels hurt and slighted.  It’s clear to her that we’ve
deliberately left her out of the loop, as we always do!  Painful
meetings and hours of mediation could all be avoided if we’d simply
thought to ask, at the end of our meeting, “Who else needs to be
informed of this and who is going to tell them?”

The Occupy movement faces some of the greatest challenges I’ve ever
encountered around group dynamics and group process—it’s so huge,grew up
so fast and so spontaneously and found itself smack in the middle of
some of society’s worst unsolved problems.  Former student body
presidents are encamped in the midst of raving drunks, trying to come to
consensus in large groups.  It’s fascinating, often exasperating, and
that’s why I’m spending as much time as I can offering trainings.

I also offer the book as a resource.  I recommend it because it contains
insights and a framework that can help groups function, whether they are
unwieldy Occupations or tight circles of friends engaged in a project.
I know this because it has helped me—although presumably I already knew
what’s in it.  But reading, researching and pulling the lessons together
into a coherent form has helped me become a better group member and a
more effective mediator.

If you’re working in any sort of collaborative group, you’ll find
valuable insights in /The Empowerment Manual./ I say this not just to
get you to buy the book—although of course I want you to buy it, that
will help a very wonderful small, political publisher stay in business
and will buy me some time to write a sequel to /The Fifth Sacred Thing/,
my next project.  But far more than that, I’m hoping you’ll read the
book, work with it, use it, improve on it, and find your own groups
working more effectively, and our common work to build a better world
will thrive.

"To choose a positive future, we need the imagination, the commitment
and passion that can never be commanded but can only be unleashed in
groups of equals. Those groups need to work and function well. That's
why I've written this book."

The book is out in bookstores now, and available online
http://www.starhawk.org/writings/empowerment_manual.html,
<http://www.starhawk.org/writings/empowerment_manual.html>
New Society , http://www.newsociety.com/Books/E/The-Empowerment-Manual
and of course, on Amazon and elsewhere.  Check out the New Society blog
about it
http://www.newsociety.com/blog/2011/The-Empowerment-Manual-Required-Reading-for-Occupied-Times

Some of my older books have also become newly relevant with the rise of
the Occupy movement, especially for anyone interested in its
antecedents.  In particular, /Dreaming the Dark: Magic, Sex and
Politics/ and /Truth or Dare: Encounters with Power, Authority and
Mystery/ look at the internal wounds we carry from millennia of war,
hierarchy and patriarchy, and reflect some of the horizontal organizing
in the antinuclear and anti-itntervention movements of the ‘seventies
and ‘eighties. /Webs of Power: Notes from the Global Uprising/ tracks
the global justice movement from the Seattle blockade of the WTO in 1999
through September 11, and contains nuanced discussions of nonviolence,
diversity, and spirit.  Find them all
http://www.starhawk.org/writings/writings.html

I doubt I'll have time to blog in the next few weeks, but I'm sure I'll
have lots to ponder from my travels.  Hope to see some of you on the road!

*
*

*Starhawk's Updated Fall/Winter Schedule*

At a Glance

Dec. 1:* "Imagining a Future We Want: Lessons from/ The Fifth Sacred
Thing,"/* Vancouver, Canada

Dec. 3-4:* "The Magic of Co-creation: Building Power in Groups,"* Vancouver

Dec. 4 Training for Occupy Vancouver

Dec. 4:* Book launch,*/ The Empowerment Manual, A Guide for
Collaborative Groups,/ Vancouver

Dec. 5 “*Empowering Tools for Challenging Times,” Minneapolis*

Dec. 6 Training day for Occupy Minnesota

Dec. 7:* "Empowering Tools for Challenging Times,"* Boston

Dec. 8. Training day for Occupy Boston

Dec. 8:* "The Magic of Co-creation: Building Power in Groups,"* Boston

Dec. 9-11:* "The Magic of Co-creation: Building Power in Groups,"* New
York City

(Starhawk will be offering something to Occupy Wall Street, not yet
determined. Check back for details.)

Dec. 17:*/ Empowerment Manual/* workshop and* Winter Solstice,* Los
Angeles, Calif.

Dec. 18: * Winter Solstice,* Sebastopol, Calif.

Jan. 7-21:* Earth Activist Training*, Cazadero, Calif.

Once More, with Details

*
Friday, November 18*

*"The Magic of Co-creation: Building Power in Groups,"* talk and booksigning

        From Cairo to Wall Street, all over the world people are coming
together to create change, organizing without top-down leadership or
hierarchies. In thousands of voluntary groups everywhere, people work
together to create everything from community gardens to media to new
ways of living. Such circles can be enormously creative and empowering,
but they can also be cumbersome and frustrating. Yet when they work
well, they liberate our imagination and change the world.

In her latest book,/ The Empowerment Manual, A Guide for Collaborative
Groups,/ Starhawk draws on four decades of experience in circles and
collectives to show us how to foster connection, clear communication and
positive power in ourselves and our groups.

In this workshop, we will use the tools of magic, meditation, trance,
and ritual to explore issues of personal and social power. We'll look at
ways to create nurturing and healing group structures, to deal with
difficult people and embrace constructive conflict. We'll raise and
focus group energy to celebrate our connectedness and nurture resilient
communities that can be joyful and effective agents of change.

         Also, Starhawk will sign copies of/ The Empowerment Manual/ and
chat with folks informally.

        Presented by Wishing Well Productions and Harmony Events.

Time: 7:30-10:00 p.m.

Location: Subud Center, 234 Hutchins Ave.,* Sebastopol*

Cost: $15 presale tickets at
http://www.wishwellprod.ticketbud.com/starhawk, or $20 at the door

For more information: http://www.wishingwellmultimedia.com
<http://www.wishingwellmultimedia.com/>

*Sunday, November 20*

Starhawk will be at the* American Academy of Religion conference in San
Francisco.* Look for her at a panel discussion on Sunday, 9:30 to 11 a.m.

Location: Moscone Center

For more information: http://www.aarweb.org <http://www.aarweb.org/>

*Wednesday, November 30*

*"The History of the Future," a panel discussion with Starhawk, Megan
Prelinger, and Chris Carlsson.*

        Megan Prelinger's book/ Another Science Fiction/ takes a
whimsical look at how the space race was promoted during its heyday
1957-62, offering a pointed look into a twisted type of corporate
"utopian" thinking that informed a whole generation. Meanwhile,
Starhawk's/ The Fifth Sacred Thing/ and Chris Carlsson's/ After the
Deluge/ both present alternative utopian futures for San Francisco a
century or more in the future. Join the conversation with these three
authors as they ponder utopias and dystopias, imagination and
revolution, and the power of social movements and propaganda to shape
different futures.

        Look for booksigning afterward. Part of the series "Shaping San
Francisco."

Location: CounterPULSE, 1310 Mission at 9th,* San Francisco*

Time: 7:30-9:30 p.m.

Cost: free

For more information: call 415-608-9035

* *

*Thursday, December 1*

*"Imagining a Future We Want: Lessons from/ The Fifth Sacred Thing"/*

        What would it look like if we based our culture on respect for
the elements that sustain life, if earth, air, fire and water were
sacred? Imagine a culture where human creativity and diversity were
cherished. Popular culture abounds with post-apocalyptic disaster
stories, but offers us few images of a positive future here on earth.
Yet if we can't even imagine a just, balanced and flourishing future,
how can we create it? Two visions of the future clash in Starhawk's
novel,/ The Fifth Sacred Thing,/ now in development as a feature film.
What can it teach us about how we avoid disaster and mobilize our
creativity and our courage to create the world we want to live in?

        Presented by Sounds & Furies.

Time: 7:30 p.m.

Location: Unity Church Reception Hall,* Vancouver*, Canada

Cost: $15 - $25 CND sliding scale

For more information: email Pat at <soundsfuries at shaw.ca
<mailto:soundsfuries at shaw.ca>>

* *

*Saturday & Sunday, December 3-4*

*"The Magic of Co-creation: Building Power in Groups,"* weekend workshop

See description, above.

        Presented by Sounds & Furies.

Saturday: 9:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Sunday: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Location: WISE Hall,* Vancouver*, Canada

Cost: $80 - $200 CND, sliding scale

For more information: email Pat at <soundsfuries at shaw.ca
<mailto:soundsfuries at shaw.ca>>

Sunday, December 4

Training for Occupy Vancouver, 2-4 pm. For more information, contact

* *

*Sunday, December 4*

Join Starhawk for the official* launch* of her brand-new, twelfth book:/
The Empowerment Manual, A Guide for Collaborative Groups,/ published by
B.C.'s own New Society Publishers. Starhawk will read excerpts, sign
your copy, and chat informally.

        "To choose a positive future, we need the imagination, the
commitment and passion that can never be commanded but can only be
unleashed in groups of equals. Those groups need to work and function
well. That's why I've written this book."

        Presented by Sounds & Furies.

Time: doors open 5:00 p.m. for food, drinks, and socializing with the
author; reading starts 6:00

Location: Rhizome Cafe,* Vancouver*, Canada

Cost: free, purchase own refreshments

For more information: email Pat at <soundsfuries at shaw.ca
<mailto:soundsfuries at shaw.ca>>

*Monday, December 5
"Empowering Tools for Challenging Times," *evening
talk
Presented in conjunction with Occupy Minnesota.
Time: 5:00 - 7:00
p.m.
Location: Mayday Books, 301 Cedar Ave S., *Minneapolis*
For more
information contact Sue Ann seasnun at gmail.com <mailto:seasnun at gmail.com>

*Tuesday, December 6*

*Empowerment Training Day with Starhawk & OccupyMpls: Tuesday Dec 6,
2011.  8am-5pm.***

*This day will be focused on trainings and discussion about core issues
facing OccupyMpls, to build a respectful and empowering collaborative
group throughout the winter.*

*7am*: Prep for Breakfast-Fundraiser.  Table hosts arrive and help set up.

*8-9am:* *Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser.*  30 minutes eat & chat.  30
minute presentation, with a short slideshow about OccupyMpls & Occupy
around the world, a story or two from Starhawk, and a few testimonies
from people involved with OccupyMpls.  Attendees will be asked to
contribute what they can to help cover the cost of Starhawk's
plane-fare, and to OccupyMpls's general fund. All are invited!  Please RSVP.

*9:30-12pm: Facilitation Training:* (All interested in becoming a
facilitator for General Assemblies invited!) What is the Art of
Facilitation? How do we improve our skills?  What are some current
issues with General Assemblies and how can they be addressed?

*Also 9:30 - 12pm: (Possible Discussion on Non-Violent Direct Action
Strategy)*

*12-1pm: *Lunch

*1-2pm and 2-3pm: Teach-ins:** *On various topics, including
"Mainstream/Margin -- Anti-Oppression Awareness"; "Economics Unmasked";
"Art and Community Activism"; "Cross-Cultural Conversations"; and more.

*3-5pm: Open Space Discussion: *Addressing various core issues facing
OccupyMpls, including:

What is the relationship of General Assemblies to Direct Actions? / How
are we using Direct Actions as a movement? / Is there a framework for
input or feedback pre- & post- actions?

Visioning: What is our goal?  Do we have different goals? Are there
Affinity-groups?

Structure of General Assemblies: What is Consensus & how does it work?
What is modified consensus & when is that a better option?  What are
blocks & how do address inappropriate use of blocking?

Guidelines & Shaping of "New Norms"... how to build a culture at
OccupyMpls that is empowering and respectful?  How do we address
conflicts, violence and intimidation?

Bring your own Topic, announce & host it!

*Dinner* (location TBA)**

*7-9pm: General Assembly* (location TBA)

*Questions: Contact Malia at kochikaralove at gmail.com
<mailto:kochikaralove at gmail.com>*

*Wednesday, December 7*

*"Empowering Tools for Challenging Times*" evening talk

 From Cairo to Wall Street, all over the world people are coming
together to create change, organizing without top-down leadership or
hierarchies. In thousands of voluntary groups everywhere, people work
together to create everything from community gardens to media to new
ways of living. Such circles can be enormously creative and empowering,
but they can also be cumbersome and frustrating. Yet when they work
well, they liberate our imagination and change the world.

        In her latest book,/ The Empowerment Manual, A Guide for
Collaborative Groups,/ Starhawk draws on four decades of experience in
circles and collectives to show us how to foster connection, clear
communication and positive power in ourselves and our groups. Join us
for this evening introduction to the basics of group empowerment, with a
booksigning of The Empowerment Manual and and live music by Incus.

        Presented by HeARTbeat Collective.

Location: The First Church UU, Hall 6 Elliot St., Jamaica Plain,* Boston*

Time: 7:00 - 10:30 p.m.

Cost: $15-$20 sliding scale

For more information and to register online:
http://www.heARTbeatCollective.org/Starhawk

*Thursday December 8*

*10 AM-4pm *Nonviolent direct action training as part of a series of
trainings offered by New England Trainers Network, Alliance of Community
Trainers and the Health Justice Working Group of Occupy Boston. The aim
is to build the skill sets and confidence of community groups and
activists in doing NVDA.

Sign up:

Email: bostonactiontrainings at riseup.net
<mailto:bostonactiontrainings at riseup.net>

Phone: (617) 971-8753

Locations of trainings will be confirmed when you sign up!

*Thursday, December 8*

*"The Magic of Co-creation: Building Power in Groups"* evening workshop

It happens over and over again-a group of people come together, fired up
with passion to create change. They begin with huge inspiration and
enthusiasm-and a year later, it's all foundered in the mire of conflict.
We could have changed the world ten times over-if we didn't have to do
it together with other people, those irritating, self-righteous,
controlling, fluff-brained clueless idiots who are our friends and allies.

        We can do better. In her latest book,/ The Empowerment Manual, A
Guide for Collaborative Groups,/ Starhawk draws on four decades of
experience in circles and collectives to show us how to foster
connection, clear communication and positive power in ourselves and our
groups. In this in-depth evening workshop, we will use the tools of
magic and ritual to explore issues of personal and social power. We'll
look at ways to create nurturing and healing group structures, deal with
difficult people, and embrace constructive conflict. We'll raise and
focus group energy to celebrate our connectedness and nurture resilient
communities that can be joyful and effective agents of change.

        Presented by HeARTbeat Collective. Please note, space is limited
to 40 people, register early.

Location: The HeARTbeat Collective, 35 Wyman St., Jamaica Plain,* Boston*

Time: 7:00 - 10:30 p.m.

Cost: $25-$100 sliding scale

For more information and to register online:
http://www.heARTbeatCollective.org/Starhawk

*Friday - Sunday, December 9-11*

*"The Magic of Co-creation: Building Power in Groups,"* weekend workshop

see description, above

        Presented by NYC Evolver.

Friday (single event or as part of weekend)

Location: The Meta Center, 214 W 29th St # 16,* New York City*

Time: 7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Cost: $20/pre purchase or $25 at the door

Saturday & Sunday

Location : The Commons Brooklyn, 388 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn

Time: 10:00 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Cost: $225, includes Friday evening event

For more information: contact <CamiArrow at gmail.com
<mailto:CamiArrow at gmail.com>> 808-281-5605

*Saturday, December 17*

Starhawk will be in Los Angeles, presenting a workshop for her new
book,/ The Empowerment Manual./ Following will be a Winter Solstice
ritual, presented with Reclaiming LA.

Location: Fais Do Do Ballroom, 5257 W. Adams Blvd.,* Los Angeles*

Times: workshop: 12:00-3:00, ritual 4:00-6:00

For more information: http://www.reclaimingla.org
<http://www.reclaimingla.org/>

*Sunday, December 18*

Starhawk and friends hold the 24th Annual* Winter Solstice celebration*.
Join us on this dark night of midwinter, to sing and dance back our
connection to the Earth and Sun. Ritual indoors and warm. Presented by
North Bay Reclaiming.

Location:* Sebastopol* Community Center, 390 Morris St. Wheelchair
accessible.

Time: 7:00 p.m.

Cost: $15 -75, sliding scale. Funds support Earth Activist Training and
North Bay Reclaiming

For more information: http://www.northbayreclaiming.com
<http://www.northbayreclaiming.com/>

(Trainings or other offerings for Occupy Wall Street are under
discussion, check back for more information.)

* **January 7-21, 2012*

*Earth Activist Training*

        A two-week permaculture design certificate course with a focus
on organizing and activism, and a grounding in earth based spirituality.
Learn how to heal soil and cleanse water, how to design human systems
that mimic natural systems, using a minimum of energy and resources and
creating real abundance and social justice.  Explore the strategies and
organizing tools we need to make our visions real, and the daily
practice, magic and rituals that can sustain our spirits. Participatory,
hands-on teaching with lots of ritual, games, projects, songs, and
laughs along with an intensive curriculum in ecological design.

Taught by Starhawk and Erik Ohlsen.

Location: Black Mountain Preserve,* Cazadero*, California

Cost: $1600- $1900 sliding scale, includes food and lodging. Some
worktrade available-apply early!

For more information: http://www.earthactivisttraining.org/jan12.html

Contact EAT at: <earthactivisttraining at gmail.com
<mailto:earthactivisttraining at gmail.com>> or phone 1-800-381-7941