[Scpg] Interview with Carolyn Raffensperger Precautionary Principles coming to SB Jan 16 7pm Fe Bland Auditorium SBCC

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Dec 27 19:19:32 PST 2011

Interview with Carolyn Raffensperger  Precautionary Principles coming to
SB Jan 16 7pm Fe Bland Auditorium SBCC

Radio Program
http://ar2.podbean.com/pb/fd8f556e208a5732c8715ceacbca5d47/4efa891e/ar2/blogs18/28077/LivingHero12--CarolynRaffensperger.mp3

BLOG with links to Radio Broadcast
http://jari.podbean.com/2009/02/01/interview-with-carolyn-raffensperger/

The Living Hero Podcast proudly presents an interview with environmental
lawyer and public health advocate, Carolyn Raffensperger. Carolyn is
executive director of the Science and Environmental Health Network,
where she has worked since 1994.

In 1982, Ms. Raffensperger left a career as an archaeologist in the
desert Southwest to join the environmental movement. She first worked
for the Sierra Club where she addressed an array of environmental
issues, including forest management, river protection, pesticide
pollutants, and the disposal of radioactive waste. As an environmental
lawyer she specializes in the fundamental changes in law and policy
necessary for the protection and restoration of public health and the
environment.

We talked about:

. faulty assumptions underlying environmental decision making . the
precautionary principle--what is it? . a new report on health, aging and
the environment . reversing the burden of proof on the safety of
industrial chemicals . corporate structure and your inalienable right to
a clean and healthy environment . changing laws: rights of future
generations and the commonwealth . reform: the biggest obstacles and the
greatest opportunities . the essential nature of the arts and how they
function in the process of change . genetically altered seeds, the sex
of plants, and the farmer-scientist breeding project . "turning the
Titanic," ecological medicine and the economics of aging

Carolyn is co-editor of Precautionary Tools for Reshaping Environmental
Policy published by M.I.T. Press (2006) and Protecting Public Health and
the Environment: Implementing the Precautionary Principle, published by
Island Press (1999). Together, these volumes provide the most
comprehensive exploration to date of the history, theory, and
implementation of the precautionary principle.

Carolyn Raffensperger is responsible for coining the term "ecological
medicine" to encompass the broad notions that both health and healing
are entwined with the natural world. She has served on editorial review
boards for several environmental and sustainable agriculture journals,
and on USEPA and National Research Council committees. Her bimonthly
column for the Environmental Law Institute's journal Environmental Forum
appeared from 1999 until 2008.

Our guest has also been featured in Gourmet magazine, the Utne Reader,
Yes! Magazine, the Sun, Whole Earth, and Scientific American. Along with
leading workshops and lecturing frequently on the Precautionary
Principle, Carolyn is at the forefront of developing new models of
government, which will depend on precaution and ecological integrity,
and guardianship for future generations.

For more information, visit the websites of The Science and
Environmental Health Network http://sehn.org/ and of Guardians of the
Future .http://guardiansofthefuture.org/

Enjoy the show and please add your comments! These interviews are
presented in audio format only--sorry no transcripts at this time! You
may download the mp3 file, which will play in iTunes, RealPlayer,
Windows Media Player and other media players or listen to it right here
by double clicking on the purple media player below. (The program is 45
minutes)

/SBCC Center for Sustainability Hosts:
/ Precautionary Principles the Golden Rule for Future Generations
The Precautionary Principle
   the Golden Rule for Future Generations
with Carolyn Raffensperger

and special guest David Eisenberg
Monday, January 16, 7pm-9:30pm, 2012
Santa Barbara City College, West Campus, Fe Bland Auditorium
$10 general/$5 SBCC Students

What does the present owe the future?

>From medicine to agriculture, energy, communication, and transportation,
we have technologies our grandparents could not have imagined.  Some of
these technologies have dark sides and unknown consequences.  Who will
be the guardians for future generations insuring that our present
technologies don't negatively impact our descendants?

Event Sponsors: Oasis Design, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network & the

http://sustainability.sbcc.edu <http://sustainability.sbcc.edu/>