[Scpg] Winter Hands-On Permaculture at Big Bend

Melanie Mindlin sassetta at mind.net
Wed Dec 28 19:30:58 PST 2011

Meadowbrook Hands-On Permaculture Experience

During the winter season of 2012, participants will spend two weeks at Meadowbrook Farm helping to start up food production under the guidance of Charlotte Anthony.  Projects include planting a food forest, hugelkultur, greenhouse construction, plant propagation, grafting, building a methane digester and energy conservation.  While working together, Charlotte will share techniques for making useful farming observations, intuitive plant communication, smart ergonomic work habits and applying permaculture principles.

We are now accepting applications to join Charlotte Anthony for 2 weeks at Big Bend, California.  Flexible dates by appointment, January – March 2012.  Cost: $300 includes simple vegetarian food and shared room accommodations.

Meadowbrook Farm is offering this low-cost two-week hands-on permaculture learning experience to students serious about doing regenerative, self-sufficient farming.   This is the precursor to a long-term residential program at Meadowbrook now being developed. Whether you want to join us for just the two weeks or are interested in checking out our project with an eye to participating in the long term program, we hope you’ll join us in Big Bend this winter.

Hands-on activities will be about 25 hours/week, and the rest of your time may be spent socializing, studying, cooking and exploring the region.   Lots more information is available on our website.   For questions or an application, contact us at: victorygardensforall at gmail.com, 530-337-6395

CHARLOTTE ANTHONY is an experienced orchardist, farmer, community organizer and leader of hands-on work projects.  She began organic and biodynamic gardening in 1967, working in fruit growing and farm management until 1980, when she started a career as a chiropractor.  After many life adventures, she started farming again in 2004.  After Katrina, Charlotte became site coordinator for the New Orleans permaculture gardens where as many as 80 volunteers a day came to learn about permaculture.  In 2007, she moved to Eugene, Oregon and started a volunteer based organization called Victory Gardens which installed 650 gardens in the Eugene area in 4 years.  Seeking a location to prove her concepts for forest gardens and other permaculture food production methodologies, Charlotte has recently moved to Meadowbrook Farm in Big Bend where she is starting up food production for the emerging eco-village.