[Scpg] Going to seed in Ojai By Lisa McKinnon Ventura Star/ Feb 25 Seed Swap 1pm Ojai

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Feb 19 12:11:33 PST 2012

Going to seed in Ojai
By Lisa McKinnon
Posted February 18, 2012 at 3 p.m.
http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/feb/18/going-to-seed-in-ojai/

PHOTO BY TROY HARVEY, VENTURA COUNTY STAR // BUY THIS PHOTO

Katie Osediacz (left) and Laura Mailander work to thin a row of kale and
collard seedlings at Mano Farm in Ojai Valley recently. The farm grows
organic herbs and vegetables for a community supported agriculture
program in addition to producing seeds for All Good Things Organic Seeds.
If you go
A seed swap organized by the Ojai Valley Green Coalition and All Good
Things Organic Seeds will start at 1 p.m. Saturday in the Chaparral
Auditorium, 414 E. Ojai Ave., Ojai.

Members of the public who have seeds to share are asked to arrive by
12:45 p.m. to claim table space.

The event will start with a discussion by Justin Huhn of AGTOS on the
how-tos of basic seed saving.

For information, call 758-3184, send email to agtoseeds at gmail.com or
visit the website at http://www.agtoseeds.com.

Going to seed in Ojai

A seed swap organized by the Ojai Valley Green Coalition and All Good
Things Organic Seeds will start at 1 p.m. Saturday in the Chaparral
Auditorium, 414 E. Ojai Ave., Ojai.

Members of the public who have seeds to share are asked to arrive by
12:45 p.m. to claim table space.

The event will start with a discussion by Justin Huhn of AGTOS on the
how-tos of basic seed saving.

For information, call 758-3184, send email to agtoseeds at gmail.com or
visit the website at http://www.agtoseeds.com.

For Ojai Valley farmers Justin Huhn and Quin Shakra, the triumph of
organic over genetically modified crops can be told in the story of a
zucchini named Dark Star.

Plantings of the squash, which was bred via open-pollination trials in
California and Baja California were well under way in February 2011,
when a hard freeze hit Mexico. The tomato crop in Sinaloa was decimated.
Buds were nipped on more than 3 million metric tons of corn.

"And it killed all of the zucchini, except for Dark Star," said Huhn.

"It took seven years to develop Dark Star, and nearly 20 years to make
one genetically modified corn variety. One produces an organic food that
is safe and sustainable. The corn I'm not so sure about," said Shakra.

Bred for market-quality fruit on open, drought-tolerant plants with few
spines to prick the fingers of harvesters, the squash continues to
deliver those qualities in subsequent plantings. That's "because it had
intentional stewardship" by seedsman Bill Reynolds in collaboration with
the Organic Seed Alliance, said Huhn.

The stewarding continues under Huhn and Shakra at Mano Farm, their
1.3-acre property near Meiners Oaks.

Using seed obtained from Seeds of Change, they have grown and harvested
Dark Star for members of the Mano Farm CSA, or community supported
agriculture, program.

Seeds from the healthiest, most productive plants, meanwhile, were saved
for sowing in another season — and to be sold via All Good Things
Organic Seeds, the company Huhn and Shakra started last fall.

"Our focus is on producing organic seeds for open-pollinated varieties
that have adapted to this bioregion — to the soils, the climate, the
pests that may or may not be present," said Huhn.

"When gardeners or farmers use seed that was produced in this climate,
they will see drastic improvements in the vigor of the plants and in the
flavor of the food," he added.

The idea of region-specific seeds will be emphasized on Saturday, when
All Good Things Organic Seeds teams with the Ojai Valley Green Coalition
to present a community seed swap at the Chaparral Auditorium in Ojai.

Huhn will offer basic tips for saving seeds and discuss why doing so is
important, he said.

The act of saving and sharing seeds is as old as agriculture itself, but
has taken on increasingly political overtones in recent years, Huhn added.

Spearheading the change, he said, are efforts by companies like Monsanto
to create patented seeds for crops that have been genetically modified
to offer new characteristics and/or to resist certain herbicides —
making it easier to use said herbicides in their presence.

Detractors have given one such crop the nickname Agent Orange Corn,
because it was genetically engineered by Dow, Inc. to be resistant to
the herbicide 2,4-D, an ingredient found in the defoliant used by the
U.S. military during the Vietnam War.

Proponents counter that such crops help feed a hungry world by
increasing yields and benefiting farmers.

Members of the public, meanwhile, have until Feb. 27 to comment on USDA
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service plans to approve non
regulated status for both the herbicide 2,4-D-resistant corn and a
soybean genetically engineered by Monsanto Co. to produce an omega-3
fatty acid.

Trying to stem the tide of these and other GM seed crops from flowing
into the food chain is a major issue for organic food producers, said
Shakra.

In part, that's because the increased use of GM seeds for crops such as
corn and soybeans makes it difficult if not impossible for neighboring
organic farms to avoid contamination via airborne pollen and other
factors. And organic crops that have somehow become crossed with GM
varieties can no longer be labeled or sold as "organic," Shakra said.

"At the moment that threat doesn't exist here. We are able to simply
grow our organic varieties," Shakra added as he turned to survey the
farm, which is flanked by citrus orchards and the Los Padres National
Forest.

"But anyone who eats food, period, is going to be affected one day, if
they haven't been already," said Huhn.

WANNA SWAP?

The popularity of seed swaps is on the rise, said Margie Bushman of
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, a nonprofit educational organization
devoted to ecological issues.

When the network presented its fourth annual Santa Barbara community
seed swap last month, more than 400 people showed up. An estimated 300
attended in 2011.

"We're all of us trying to grow our own gardens, but that can get
expensive," said Bushman.

"When you learn how to save seeds and share them, you're not only
cutting down on the expense. By saving seed from the most vibrantly
alive plants in your garden, the ones that are doing the best, you are
helping them naturalize to the site," Bushman said.

The organization's members hope to start a local seed library, similar
to programs created by Native Seeds/SEARCH in Tucson, Ariz., and the
Richmond Grows Seed Lending Library in Richmond, Calif., she added.

Until then, community seed swaps and the efforts of producers like All
Good Things Organic Seeds and the Kusa Seed Research Foundation — also
located in the Ojai Valley and focused on ancient grains — are crucial
to maintaining heirloom and site-specific varieties, said Bushman.

Huhn and Shakra started Mano Farm on leased land nearly three years ago.
The farm earned its organic certification from Oregon Tilth in
September, the same month they launched the seed company.

Their first seed crop was Fizz, a jagged-leafed kale that produced dark
round seeds that Huhn described as surprisingly heavy for their size.

They now count 50 varieties of vegetables, herbs and flowers that range
from amaranth to winter squash. Lettuces and tomatoes are included; all
are open-pollinated, which means that any saved seeds will produce
plants similar to the parent plants.

With careful timing to avoid cross-pollination, many of the for-seed
plants are tested and grown alongside those intended for consumption by
the 25 members of the farm's CSA. In some cases, they are one and the same.

"We might pick for the CSA and then allow the plant to bolt," Shakra
said, pointing to a 6-foot-tall stalk of Dinosaur kale with a cluster of
yellow flowers on top.

The resulting seeds will be available via the seed company's website,
http://www.agtoseeds.com. Packets of existing seeds, $3.50 each, also
can be found in Ojai at Flora Gardens and Rainbow Bridge Natural Foods.

Shakra is working to address another gardening tradition that is almost
as old as sharing seeds: paging through seed catalogs and circling all
the things you want to order.

"We already design and print our own seed packets, and I'm designing an
in-print catalog in time for the seed swap," he said. "We have a lot of
information on our website, but what we're learning about gardeners is
that they like to hold something in their hands."

© 2012 Ventura County Star. All rights reserved. This material may not
be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read more:
http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/feb/18/going-to-seed-in-ojai/#ixzz1mrOrTEHu
- vcstar.com