[Scpg] TONIGHT! "Animals in Permaculture" Wed Mar 21

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Mar 21 08:13:16 PDT 2012

"Animals in Permaculture" is the topic of our free Permaculture Guild of
Santa Barbara event tonight, Wednesday, March 21st meeting at 7 pm at
the Watershed Resource Center at Arroyo Burro Beach, 2981 Cliff Drive in
Santa Barbara. We'd love to hear your thoughts on this complex issue.
It's a controversial topic, with many different ways of looking at it,
so we look forward to good conversation after we've watched a few videos.
Linda

*ANIMALS IN PERMACULTURE: The Pros and Cons of including animals in our
designs*

Did you guess that our subtitle is pure nonsense? Of course */there is
no way to grow anything, anywhere without the help (or hindrance) of our
fellow sentient beings!/* Even in a purely vegan "fruit and vegetable"
garden, we need the help of the earthworms, the bees, the millions of
tiny creatures in the soil. We also have to respectfully and humanely
deal with large and small animals that sometimes compete with us for our
food - the gophers, rabbits, birds, squirrels and rats - and most of us
struggle with how best to do that.

And what about the pros and cons of including larger animals in our
designs as well - modern or heritage chickens, ducks, miniature or full
size cattle, horses, sheep, pigs and rabbits - to help us work the soil,
provide "horsepower" and give us their eggs and milk, whether or not we
plan to eat them at the end of their lives? And how can we humanely deal
with their lifelong care and if we do eat meat, their ultimate
slaughter, not just "using" our animals, but allowing them to live out
their natural patterns and respecting their place with us in the
mysterious Whole.

We'll watch some videos about animals in permaculture design and then
have a round-table discussion. Please share your thoughts and experience
with us on this important topic.