[Scpg] Tech Detox/Can You Survive a Day Without Technology?/2012 National Day of Unplugging-sundown March 23-sundown March 24.

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Mar 22 20:41:48 PDT 2012

I have been trying this on Sundays...it's very
peaceful.   and it's green! internet usage
represents 9.4% of total US electricity consumption per year. mb

It's hard to imagine that just ten years or so
ago, people were trying to decide if they really
needed a cell phone. now, we have facebook,
ipads, twitter, is it possible to unplug?

take a break from logging-on, updating, or
compulsively checking your status and have a
time-out one day a week.  Turn off, tune in,
reboot.  Learn what it feels like to walk down
the street with nothing in your hands.

A Provisional Guide for Observing a Weekly Day of Rest

What is this?

a creative project designed to slow
down lives in an increasingly
hectic world.

Ready to take the unplug challenge? We have
teamed up with
<http://www.causes.com/causes/648905-national-day-of-unplugging/actions>Causes.com
to create an Unplugging Pledge that asks people
to take a tech detox for the 2012 National Day of
Unplugging, sundown March 23-sundown March 24.
Take the pledge on
<http://www.causes.com/causes/648905-national-day-of-unplugging/actions>Causes.com
and then easily share it with friends and family
through Facebook, Twitter and e-mail.
<http://www.causes.com/causes/648905-national-day-of-unplugging/actions>www.causes.com/unplug

We’ve created 10 core principles completely open
for your unique interpretation. We welcome you to
join us as we carve a weekly timeout into our
lives and to continue the momentum of the
National Day of Unplugging throughout the year.
Reboot also took the unplugging movement to the
most plugged-in place on the planet­the South by
Southwest Interactive festival in Austin, TX! At
a technology-free panel, “Tech Detox: Can You
Survive a Day Without Technology?” on March 11,
SXSW participants heard industry leaders,
entrepreneurs and tech titans share their secrets
(and struggles) of unplugging, and how they’re
given more power in their day-to-day lives by
creating sacred “no connection” time regularly.
More details <http://schedule.sxsw.com/2012/events/event_IAP11664>here.

Then, we set the
<http://recordsetter.com/>RecordSetter.com world
record for the most people to shut off their cell
phones at once with 147 people who are normally
ultra- connected to their devices powering down
simultaneously at SXSWi’s First-Ever Unplugged Party at The Lodge in Austin.

<http://www.sabbathmanifesto.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Panel-Poster_020312_forweb1.pdf>
[]

<http://www.sabbathmanifesto.org/unplug//blog>The
Second Annual National Day of Unplugging was a
huge success. See what CNN, the New York Times,
All Things D and the San Francisco Chronicle are saying about it.

To find out more <http://www.sabbathmanifesto.org/unplug//about>click here
<http://www.sabbathmanifesto.org/unplug//sleeping_bags>
[]

Unplug with your Sabbath Manifesto
<http://www.sabbathmanifesto.org/unplug//sleeping_bags>Cell Phone Sleeping Bag

Powered By

<http://rebooters.net>Reboot

National Day of Unplugging 2012

Join us for the National Day of Unplugging 2012
from sundown Friday, March 23 to sundown, Saturday March 24.

Ready to take the unplug challenge? We have
teamed up with Causes.com to create an Unplugging
Pledge that asks people to take a tech detox for
the 2012 National Day of Unplugging.

Take the pledge on Causes.com and then easily
<http://www.causes.com/unplugpledge>http://www.causes.com/unplugpledge

Reboot also took the unplugging movement to the
most plugged-in place on the planet­the South by
Southwest Interactive festival in Austin, TX!

<http://www.causes.com/causes/648905-national-day-of-unplugging>
[]

At a technology-free panel, “Tech Detox: Can You
Survive a Day Without Technology?” March 11, SXSW
participants heard industry leaders,
entrepreneurs and tech titans share their secrets
(and struggles) of unplugging, and how they’re
given more power in their day-to-day lives by
creating sacred “no connection” time regularly.
More details <http://schedule.sxsw.com/2012/events/event_IAP11664>here.

Then, hundreds of people who are normally ultra
connected to their devices powered down at
SXSWi’s First-Ever Unplugged Party at The Lodge
in Austin and helped to set a
<http://recordsetter.com/>RecordSetter.com world
record for the most people to shut off their cell phones at once.

<http://www.sabbathmanifesto.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/NDU-2012-SXSW-party-group.jpg>
[]

Learn more about this year’s “Unplug and Eat
Together” campaign in partnership with Slow Food
USA and Hazon here:
<http://www.sabbathmanifesto.org/unplug-and-eat-together/>http://www.sabbathmanifesto.org/unplug-and-eat-together/.

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

PlPlease consider the environment before printing this email.