[Scpg] April 13/Evening Talk/Redesigning Civilization:Permaculture's Vision for a Just and Sustainable World with Author Toby Hemenway/Santa Barbara

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Mar 28 23:13:46 PDT 2012

/*Contact: Sharon Tollefson
Coordinator; The Center for Urban Agriculture at Fairview Gardens
(805) 967-7369, **Sharon at fairviewgardens.org

<mailto:Sharon at fairviewgardens.org>*/
/*The Center for Urban Agriculture at FAIRVIEW GARDENS Presents:

*/Redesigning Civilization:
Permaculture's Vision for a Just and Sustainable World
With Toby Hemenway

Friday April 13, 2012
7-9:30pm
Santa Barbara Central Library, Faulkner Gallery
$10-$20 suggested donation

/~This lecture in memory of long time Fairview Garden supporter & Board
Member Selma Rubin ~

/
/ I/ t's no secret that our society has become unsustainable.  Modern
agriculture, industry and finance all extract more than they give back,
and the Earth is starting to show the strain. How did we get this way,
and what can we do to help our culture get back on track?

Join internationally known author, permaculture teacher, and designer
*Toby Hemenway, *for an evening talk on *Friday, April 13, 7-9:30pm,*
that will give insight into why our culture has become fundamentally
unsustainable, and how the ecological design approach called
permaculture offers powerful tools for the design of regenerative
systems, with fair ways to provide food, energy, and human livelihoods,
while sharing the planet with the rest of nature.

Toby Hemenway is a permaculture designer and teacher who has taught
permaculture courses around the globe. He is the author of /Gaia's
Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture/, which for the last eight
years has been the worlds best selling book on the ecological-design
approach known as permaculture. The expanded 2nd edition of the book was
named one of the top ten gardening books of 2010 by the Washington Post,
and won the 2011 Nautilus Gold Medal Award.  Hemenway has been on the
faculty of the Portland State University, and was a scholar-in-residence
at Pacific University.  He has presented at conferences and universities
across the continent. Hemenway lives in Sebastopol, California, where he
is tending a two-acre food forest amid seven acres of redwoods and bay
laurels.

Beginning in May, 2012,  Toby Hemenway will be teaching a 6 weekend
series permaculture design course at Fairview Gardens, an urban
educational farm in the heartland of Goleta Valley. He will be joined by
other guest permaculture teachers throughout the course, which will
focus on holistic tools for creating food, water, and energy security,
building healthy communities and economies. Participants can chose to
attend the entire series and earn a Permaculture design certificate or
take part in specific lectures from the series.

The evening talk takes place on *Friday, April 13, 7pm-9:30pm, 2012, at
the Faulkner Gallery* at the Santa Barbara Central Library, 40 East
Anapamu Street, SB, 93101. $10-$20 suggested donation. No reservations
required. More info: (805)967-7369, Sharon at fairviewgardens.org
<mailto:Sharon at fairviewgardens.org> .

Sponsored by:
*The Center for Urban Agriculture at Fairview Gardens
** http://www.fairviewgardens.org/
*Event co-sponsors: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network

More Info:

Toby Hemenway website:
http://www.patternliteracy.com/

Six weekend Permaculture design course: May 26-27, June 23-24, July
28-29, August 25-26, September 22-23, October 27-28. For more info:
http://www.fairviewgardens.org/2011/11/27/permaculture-design-course-weekends-may----
<http://www.fairviewgardens.org/2011/11/27/permaculture-design-course-weekends-may-%E2%80%93->
oct/

Permaculture Teachers teaching with Toby Hemenway:
Brock Dolman, Director of Occidental Arts and Ecology Center's Water
Institute http://oaec.org/brockdolmanbio, Warren Brush, Executive
Director, Quail Springs Permaculture http://www.quailsprings.org, John
Valenzuela, principal, Cornucopia Food Forest Gardens, and Larry
Santoyo, Director, www.EarthflowDesignWorks.com
<http://www.EarthflowDesignWorks.com>,and Michael Becker, award-winning
educator, Hood River, Oregon

The Center for Urban Agriculture at Fairview Gardens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeCSIpnAXwM

    The Center for Urban Agriculture at Fairview Gardens is a California
    non-profit organization that was established in 1997 to preserve and
    operate Fairview Gardens, the historic farm where our products are
    grown. Founded in 1895, Fairview Gardens is considered by some to be
    the oldest organic farm in southern California, and is now preserved
    in perpetuity through an agricultural conservation easement.

    Fairview Gardens is situated in the midst of a growing suburban
    community in coastal southern California, surrounded on all sides by
    tract homes, shopping malls, and suburban thoroughfares. As a highly
    visible agricultural parcel in a dense suburban environment,
    Fairview Gardens plays a unique role in the community, providing its
    neighbors with food, educational and cultural events, open space and
    a connection to the land. The farm also demonstrates the economic
    viability of small farm operations, and the potential of small,
    regional farms to feed their communities.

-end-