[Scpg] Tonight/MAR 29/SoulBrasil Film Night/Leaves of the Sacred Grass

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Mar 29 07:48:57 PDT 2012

Leaves of the Sacred Garden:
[]
Thurs March 29, 7:30pm at Faulkner Gallery, SB
Central Public Library (all ages/ $5 suggested donation)

Film Screening: Leaves of the Sacred Garden a
film about racial prejudice, religious
intolerance, environmental issues, and conflicts
of urban daily life. The film offers a discussion
of ethnic prejudices, the degradation of green
areas in cities victimized by real estate
speculation, while exposing nuances of Candomblé
an Afro-Brazilian religion. The cast includes
renowned actors from Bahia (the state in Brazil
with the strongest African influences), with a
special participation of singer Virginia
Rodrigues. Directed by Brazilian filmmaker Pola Ribeira.

Lecture: just after the film screening is “Global
Crisis: We Will Survive?” by William Robison,
will have a special chapter regarding the
important role of Brazil as the richest country
in Latin American with the 5th largest economy in
the world. *William Robison is professor of
Sociology, Global & International Studies, and
Latin American Studies at the UCSB, author of
several books on global capitalism, Latin
America, U.S. foreign policy, and contemporary
world affairs.  His latest book is Global Capitalism and Latin America.

<<<>>>
We went to Brazil in 2007 for IPC8, the
International Permaculture Convergence.  We fell
in love with the Brazilian people & their culture
and saw amazing permaculture centers &
projects.  Soon after we returned we met the
organizers for the Santa Barbara Brazilian
Carnaval, the publishers of Soul Brasil magazine.
We collaborated!  We helped sponsor Soul Brasil's
Carnaval film night for three years, where we
began the evening with updates on permaculture in
Brazil.  Soul Brasil magazine published articles
we wrote about IPC8 and other permaculture
stories, introducing their readership in Brazil
and Southern California to PERMACULTURE.  SB Permaculture Network
[]

  9th Santa Barbara
   B R A Z i L i A N
                 C A R N A V A L
                                                           March
29-April 1 2012
 From Soul Brasil Magazine organizers:

The Annual Santa Barbara Carnaval & Brazil Fest
Brings Two Free Events this Year Including the
Film & Lecture to Entertain as well as to Educate
the Santa Barbara and Ventura County about Brazil.  March 29- April 1

The 9th Annual Santa Barbara Brazilian Carnaval &
Cultural Fest 2012 will bring 3 days of Brazilian
culture through different art forms – dance,
music and cinema, including free events for the whole family.

The first and third event, “Cinema & Lecture” and
“Brasil Expo & Family Carnaval” respectively, are
free and offer entertainment as well as education
about the biggest country south of the border (More info Below).

The second event, “Legends of Brasil” Show” at
the SoHo will showcase a choreographed ninety
minute show featuring L.A’s based “Raiz Brazil
Dance Company” following the Carnaval “Queen Contest”.

  The 9th Annual Santa Barbara Carnaval & Brazil
Fest is sponsored in part by Contemporanea
Instruments of Brazil, Univision 38 Central
Coast, Magali Travel Services and Soul Brasil
magazine. Among the community sponsors and
supporters are KCSB Radio, Butler Event Center,
Fernandos Fashion HD, Capoeira Batuque SB, Santa
Barbara Permaculture Network and The B Boutique.
More info: and up dates:
<file:///H:\Carnaval%20SB_Geral\www.sbbraziliancarnaval.com>www.sbbraziliancarnaval.com.
Contact by phone: (805)245-5615.

Full Schedule 2012

Cinema & Lecture:

Thurs March 29, 7:30pm at Faulkner Gallery, SB
Central Public Library (all ages/ $5 suggested donation)
  Film Screening & Talk
Film Screening: Leaves of the Sacred Garden a
film about racial prejudice, religious
intolerance, environmental issues, and conflicts
of urban daily life. The film offers a discussion
on bisexuality and ethnic prejudices, the
[...]

Legends of Brasil & Carnaval Queen Contest:

Sat March 31, 9 pm at SOHO - 21 and over/ $25
show and only $5 for the Carnaval Eletronica *11:30pm.

The gravity-defying dancers and soul-stirring
guest musicians bring their power and passion to
SoHo! Enter the worlds of the ocean goodness
Yemanja, the legend Carmem Miranda, the famous
Tom Jobim and the soccer star Romario and
discover the vibrancies of Brazilian music and
dance. With Fabio Assis, former Olodum singer, guest vocalist.

Just after the show, its time to check the
Carnaval Queen Contest. The registration to the
contest is free and the winner will got over
$1500 in prizes including $150 in CASH! The
winner also will be the official representative
for the 2013 SB Carnaval Project "10 Years
Promoting the Best of Brazil" and leader us in
the "Carnaval" Bloco” of Percussionist and
Capoeirista Mariano Silva at 2012 SB Summer
Solstice Parade. To register check the news room
at www.sbbraziliancarnaval.com or call (805)245-5615 for more info.

Among the confirmed judges to the contest are
Gabriel Quiroz (General Manager of Univision TV38
Central Coast), Michelle Schmitd (Miss Brazil-Los
Angeles 2004 and Miss Pan-American 2005), Paul
Berenson (KDB-93 and KCSB-91.9 radio), Preity
Uupala (Miss Earth Australia 2009 and Miss India
2010), Irene Velia (Host Star/La Preciosa Radio),
Salud Carbajal (SB County 1st District
Supervisor) and Marty Blum (former SB Mayor).

Brasil Little Expo & Family Carnaval:

Sun April 1st, 2pm at the Butler Events Center -
All ages, Free for the Public ($10 suggested
donation for adults and over 13). Bring the kids
and learn about the biggest country south of the
border while having fun with the whole family!
Featuring Capoeira and  Free Style
Soccer  demonstrations, Live Bossa Nova show and
Batucada, Brazilian appetizers, products and
services, travel tips & tourism information.

Location: Butler Event Center, 3744 State Street
- Corner of Hitchcock and State Street - Santa Barbara, CA

More info, reviews, videos and articles:
<file:///H:\Carnaval%20SB_Geral\www.sbbraziliancarnaval.com>www.sbbraziliancarnaval.com
(*Click in News Room)

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

PlPlease consider the environment before printing this email.