[Scpg] Sheet Mulching: If, When, and How It Works @ SBCC Sat April 7 details and directions

Barbara Wishingrad seaandmts2 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 09:47:10 PDT 2012

The Santa Barbara Green Living
Co-op
And
The Environmental Horticulture
Department at SBCC
Present

Sheet Mulching: If, When, and How It
Works
Creating Best Practices for Sheet
Mulching in the Santa Barbaraarea

A panel, discussion, and tour of sheet mulched beds in the LifescapeGarden

Saturday, April 7, 2012
1:30-3:30 pm
Room A162, in the AdministrationBuildingon East
Campus, Santa BarbaraCityCollege,

721 Cliff Dr, Santa Barbara93109

Our panelists include:
Pam Berstler, Exterior Designer, G3 Green Gardens Group
Meg West, Arcadia Studios, host of the “Gardenwise” TV show
Cathie Pare, City of Santa BarbaraSmart Landscape Rebate Program
Julia Pfeifer

Many people have experience challenges as they have attempted to
convert turf to natives or veggies and this event hopes to address those issues and, as a group, come up with best practices for sheet mulching in our area. We may talk about materials, when to sheet mulch, for how long, how practices might differ depending on the turf
involved, what kind of maintenance to expect, and how we can make it
easiest, most successful. We will also look at the controversy about
using sheet mulching to get rid of perennial grasses. Please join us and share your own experience, questions, and ideas.

This
event is free and open to the public.
Parking
at CityCollegeis free on the weekend

We will have a donation basket
for the Environmental Horticulture Dept to help defray the cost of hosting this
event on campus
Please give generously so that we
may continue to use this facility

For more information please contact Barbara Wishingrad, Program Manager,
Santa Barbara Green Living Co-op
bwishingrad at watershedmg.org or 805-403-4566
Directions:  You can come onto
campus at the East Campus main entrance off of Cliff Dr. A162 is in the
Administration building which is just to the south and to the east of
the security kiosk a short distance from that entrance.  Here is the
link for a campus map that shows the buildings. http://www.sbcc.edu/about/ files/sbcc_campusmap.pdf
Thanks to those who are able to carpool, bike, walk, or take public transportation to this event.

See you there!