[Scpg] TONIGHT!/April 13 7pm/Toby Hemenway @ Faulkner Gallery SB Library/Redesigning Civilization Permaculture's Vision

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Fri Apr 13 06:28:44 PDT 2012

Hey everyone, a rare chance to hear Toby Hemenway!

It's been more than 10 years since Toby Hemenway
has been in Santa Barbara, when Santa Barbara
Permaculture Network organized a book tour for
his then brand new book "Gaia's Garden: A Guide
to Home-Scale Permaculture".  Toby is one of the
only permaculture authors whose book actually
describes and has plants from our own bioregion
(West Coast USA, instead of subtropical Australia
or England).   In the audience will also be
another premier permaculture teacher & designer,
Larry Santoyo.  He, along with others, will be a
guest speakers at Toby's upcoming six week
Permaculture Design Course (PDC) at Fairview
Gardens, starting May 26.  (more info about PDC below)

The Center for Urban Agriculture at FAIRVIEW GARDENS Presents:

Redesigning Civilization:
Permaculture's Vision for a Just and Sustainable World
With Toby Hemenway
Picture

Friday April 13, 2012
7-9:30pm
Santa Barbara Central Library, Faulkner Gallery
$10-$20 suggested donation

~This lecture in memory of long time Fairview
Garden supporter & Board Member Selma Rubin ~

         I t's no secret that our society has
become unsustainable.  Modern agriculture,
industry and finance all extract more than they
give back, and the Earth is starting to show the
strain. How did we get this way, and what can we
do to help our culture get back on track?

Join internationally known author, permaculture
teacher, and designer Toby Hemenway, for an
evening talk on Friday, April 13, 7-9:30pm, that
will give insight into why our culture has become
fundamentally unsustainable, and how the
ecological design approach called permaculture
offers powerful tools for the design of
regenerative systems, with fair ways to provide
food, energy, and human livelihoods, while
sharing the planet with the rest of nature.

Toby Hemenway is a permaculture designer and
teacher who has taught permaculture courses
around the globe. He is the author of Gaia's
Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture, which
for the last eight years has been the worlds best
selling book on the ecological-design approach
known as permaculture. The expanded 2nd edition
of the book was named one of the top ten
gardening books of 2010 by the Washington Post,
and won the 2011 Nautilus Gold Medal
Award.  Hemenway has a degree in biology from
Tufts University, working for many years as a
researcher in genetics and immunology.  Growing
dissatisfied with the direction biotechnology was
taking, he discovered permaculture, and a career
change followed.  He has been on the faculty of
the Portland State University, and was a
scholar-in-residence at Pacific University.  His
writing have appeared in many magazines such as
Whole Earth Review and Natural Home, and he is
the past editor of the Permaculture Activist
(1999 to 2004).  Hemenway lives in Sebastopol,
California, where he is tending a two-acre food
forest amid seven acres of redwoods and bay laurels.

Beginning in May, 2012,  Toby Hemenway will be
teaching a 6 weekend series permaculture design
course at Fairview Gardens, an urban educational
farm in the heartland of Goleta Valley. He will
be joined by guest permaculture teachers
throughout the course, which will focus on
holistic tools for creating food, water, and
energy security, building healthy communities and
economies. Participants can chose to attend the
entire series and earn a Permaculture design
certificate or take part in specific lectures from the series.

The evening talk takes place on Friday, April 13,
7pm-9:30pm, 2012, at the Faulkner Gallery at the
Santa Barbara Central Library, 40 East Anapamu
Street, SB, 93101. $10-$20 suggested donation. No
reservations required. More info: (805)967-7369,
<mailto:Sharon at fairviewgardens.org>Sharon at fairviewgardens.org .

Sponsored by:
The Center for Urban Agriculture at Fairview Gardens
<http://www.fairviewgardens.org/>http://www.fairviewgardens.org/
Event co-sponsors: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network

More Info:

Toby Hemenway website:
<http://www.patternliteracy.com/>http://www.patternliteracy.com/

Six weekend Permaculture design course at
Fairview Gardens: May 26-27, June 23-24, July
28-29, August 25-26, September 22-23, October
27-28. For more info:
<http://www.fairviewgardens.org/2011/11/27/permaculture-design-course-weekends-may-%E2%80%93->http://www.fairviewgardens.org/2011/11/27/permaculture-design-course-weekends-may-–-oct/

Permaculture Teachers teaching with Toby Hemenway:
Brock Dolman, Director of Occidental Arts and
Ecology Center's Water Institute
<http://oaec.org/brockdolmanbio>http://oaec.org/brockdolmanbio;
Warren Brush, Executive Director, Quail Springs
Permaculture
<http://www.quailsprings.org>http://www.quailsprings.org;
John Valenzuela, Cornucopia Food Forest Gardens;
Larry Santoyo, Director of EarthFlow Design,
www.earthflow.com; and Michael Becker,
award-winning educator, Hood River, Oregon.

UPCOMING FAIRVIEW EVENTS:

TOBY HEMENWAY talk – April 13
Introduction to Bee Keeping – April 15
Eating as a Vegetarian  - April 19
Plant Your Spring Garden – April 28
Wild Fermenting – April 29
Spring CSA AND Spring AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM!

The Center for Urban Agriculture at Fairview Gardens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeCSIpnAXwM
The Center for Urban Agriculture at Fairview
Gardens is a California non-profit organization
that was established in 1997 to preserve and
operate Fairview Gardens, the historic farm where
our products are grown. Founded in 1895, Fairview
Gardens is considered by some to be the oldest
organic farm in southern California, and is now
preserved in perpetuity through an agricultural conservation easement.

Fairview Gardens is situated in the midst of a
growing suburban community in coastal southern
California, surrounded on all sides by tract
homes, shopping malls, and suburban
thoroughfares. As a highly visible agricultural
parcel in a dense suburban environment, Fairview
Gardens plays a unique role in the community,
providing its neighbors with food, educational
and cultural events, open space and a connection
to the land. The farm also demonstrates the
economic viability of small farm operations, and
the potential of small, regional farms to feed their communities.

-end-

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

PlPlease consider the environment before printing this email.