[Scpg] Backyard Fruit Tree Culture - Free meeting May 19th/California Rare Fruit Growers Santa Barbara Chapter

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Apr 30 06:27:12 PDT 2012

California Rare Fruit Growers Santa Barbara Chapter presents:
*Backyard fruit tree culture*
Join us* May 19th from 10 AM until 12:00 pm* for our next chapter event.
Hear *Tom Spellman* of Dave Wilson Nursery speak on home orchard
practices. Dave Wilson Nursery is a large wholesale nursery that grows
one of the best selections of fruit trees for retail nurseries and
commercial orchards.  Tom Spellman is their resident expert on growing
fruit in the Southwest, including coastal Southern California.  This
should be one of our best events of the year.
There will also be a special ceremony honoring the retired chair of our
chapter Norm Beard for his decades of service to our chapter.
The event will be held at Norm's nursery:
*Beard Tropics
200 Ellwood Ridge Road
Goleta, CA 93117*
*Directions:*
101 North Bound from Santa Barbara, right off freeway on Winchester
Canyon Road, go right on Cathedral Oaks Road, take first left on Ellwood
Canyon Road, then right uphill on Ellwood Ridge Road to first place on
right.

101 South Bound from Buelton, take Hollister Ave, off ramp, go left back
over freeway, make a right on Calle Real, take first left on Cathedral
Oaks Road, then follow directions above from Winchester Canyon Road.
Coming soon:
June: How to grow blueberries.  We will visit a local blueberry farm
near the Gaviota coast and learn how to grow acid loving blueberries in
our alkaline soil. You will also be able to pick your own blueberries at
a very reasonable price.
July: Citrus Greening Disease. A Santa Barbara County entemologist will
speak on this destructive disease which has now shown up for the first
time in Santa Barbara.
Larry Saltzman