[Scpg] Chicken Hearing Wednesday

Rachel Morris rachel at vccool.org
Fri Jul 13 01:45:23 PDT 2012

 <http://www.vccool.org/>
http://www.vccool.org/images/logo/logo_vccool_blue.jpg

VCCool Newsletter
July 12, 2012

  _____

Dear Local Food Friends,

If you have, or plan to have backyard chickens in Ventura, CA - Read on!
It's time to let your voice be heard!

Ten cheers for sustainable cities!
>From the folks at VCCool

Hearing on Proposed Chicken Ordinance Wednesday
- VCCool Strategy Meeting This Sunday!

joe_photo_chicken_tny_crp.jpgVCCool Chicken Meeting
Sunday, July 15
1:00 - 3:00pm
VCCool Office
505 Poli St., 4th floor (at the back of Ventura City Hall)

Yesterday the staff at the Planning Department let us know that a new
ordinance will be reviewed by the Planning Commission
<http://www.cityofventura.net/files/file/meetings/planning_commission/2012/0
7-18-12/07-18-12%20item%2008.pdf>  in one week. We are concerned!

The Planning Commission Hearing is:
Wednesday, July 18
6:00pm till late
Ventura City Hall - Council Chambers
501 Poli Street
<https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&q=501+P
oli+Street,+ventura&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x80e9acf101e8a617:0x799088eb8d927337
,501+Poli+St,+Ventura,+CA+93001&gl=us&ei=b9P_T7vZBKal2AXLr8n-Aw&ved=0CAgQ8gE
wAA> , Ventura

Calling All People Who Care About Chickens!!
VCCool is hosting a strategy meeting this Sunday, to support reasonable
legislation for this up-and-coming new way to provide healthy food from your
own back yard. And you are invited!!

We will prepare well-researched materials for the Commission, and mobilize
as many people as possible on such short notice, to come to the hearing. We
find numerous key problematic issues with the proposal. Because there has
been no chance for public dialog on this important issue, save staff
bringing it to the community councils within a long list of other code
issues, and because the item is slated to be heard late in the evening past
when most families can stay, VCCool has  requested an extension to allow for
public involvement. We may not get the extension - and we won't know till
Monday because the City is closed this Friday.

VCCool has been having informal discussions with the City of Ventura for the
past four years. We have researched chicken laws near and far, held
educational events, and proposed ordinance language. It is disappointing to
see that our extensive work and broad citizen input is not reflected in
staff notes about what the "public concerns" are, nor in the new ordinance.
For example, this new ordinance prevents anyone living in duplexes,
collective housing, condos, or anything other than single housing, from
having chickens. This unusual restriction ignores the success of such
arrangements nation-wide and is a social justice infringement.

Whether you have lots of experience with the little clucks, or are just
excited about raising food in town - PLEASE come help us make this a
friendly city to raise birds and get fresh eggs.

chick_cupcakes_text.jpg

VC Star article land photos "Group helps Ventura bicycle owners get their
fix
<http://www.vcstar.com/photos/galleries/2012/mar/22/group-helps-ventura-bicy
cle-owners-get-their-fix/> ."

Ventura Bike HUB - Has New Hours
Fix Your Own Bicycle!

http://www.vccool.org/newsletter/59_may_2012/bike_hub_logo_tiny.jpg1st and
3rd Saturdays - 505 Ventura Avenue, Senior Center
11am to 3pm
$7 per hour - no one turned away

2nd Saturday - 204 E. Thompson Blvd. Sandbox Coffeehouse
<http://sandboxcoffeehouse.com/>
11am to 3pm
$7 per hour - no one turned away

4th Saturday - Wildcard!
Invite us to YOUR neighborhood.

Come learn how to work on your bike! Use our tools and stands, and get
one-on-one coaching from the HUB mechanics. It's way fun! 25% of our
participants are female, so sisters - don't be shy!!