[Scpg] Public Forums/NEW Center for Lifelong Learning~Successor to Adult Ed/Nov 27 29 30/Please Share

Margie Bushman, Coordinator, SBCC Center for Sustainability sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sun Nov 25 16:14:46 PST 2012

Santa Barbara City College Invites Community Members for Input
   for The Center for Lifelong Learning (CLL), the Successor to SB's
Adult Education

~ ANNOUNCING Public Forums November 27, 29, 30, 2012 ~
The Center for Lifelong Learning (CLL) will open September 2013

Emacs!

PLEASE attend and give input for the new Center for Lifelong Learning
(CLL).  We need input from the Environmental and Sustainability
communities with ideas for curriculum.

Community forums will be held on:

    * Tuesday, November 27, 5:30- 7:00 p.m., SBCC Wake Center
Auditorium, 300 North. Turnpike Road, Santa Barbara
    * Thursday, November 29, noon - 1:30 p.m.,  Main School
Auditorium, 5201 8th Street, Carpinteria
    * Friday, November 30, noon - 1:30 p.m., SBCC  Schott Center
Auditorium, 310 West Padre Street, Santa Barbara

Read More:

Community Asked to Give Input for SBCC's Center for LIfelong Learning
Course Offerings

After over a year of analysis and development, Santa Barbara City
College announces it will launch the new Center for Lifelong Learning
(CLL) in September 2013.  The center will offer the community
non-credit, self-supporting classes and seminars primarily in the
personal enrichment and advancement areas.  Classes will meet at
SBCCs Wake Center and Schott Center in Santa Barbara and other
locations throughout the area.

SBCC will offer three community forums in November to share the
vision and progress of the CLL and seek input on the types of course
offerings that the community wants and will support.

"Reduction in state funding presented our Continuing Education
Division with a huge challenge but the center is a viable and
exciting option," said Dr. Jack Friedlander, SBCC Executive Vice
President.  "We really want to thank the community members who served
on our earlier advisory committees and gave us such thoughtful
feedback. " Because of its community service structure, the CLL will
have greater flexibility to offer self-supporting courses in a
variety of formats and time frames that can be more fluid and
responsive to the learning needs and interests of the community".

After an overview, participants will be asked to take part in
breakout sessions and give their feedback on the types of courses
they would like to take or teach in the following categories:
    * Arts/Crafts/Performing Arts
    * Humanities/Psychology/Languages/Current Events
    * Business, Finance, Economics and Entrepreneurship
    * Health and Wellness, Omega (classes for the elderly) and
Fitness/Recreation
    * Science/Technology/Computer Applications/Social
Media/Environment/Sustainability
    * Home and Garden/Cooking; Parenting/Kid's College and
    * Special Events/Lecture Series

"SBCC and the community have long taken great pride in the breadth
and quality of our Continuing Education offerings," said Dr.
Friedlander.  "With the Center for Lifelong Learning, we have the
opportunity again to build an outstanding program that meets the
learning needs and interests of our community.   I invite everyone to
attend one of the forums and give us feedback on what types of
courses and programs they will support through the CLL."

Special note:
There has been an amazing long term history of Environmental &
Sustainability programs in Continuing Education/Adult Ed starting in
1989.  By 1994, the programs began to reflect Santa Barbara's
interest in Sustainability.  A list of all the community groups,
local government, colleges, university and businesses that sponsored
programs for Environment, Sustainability and Science are listed at
the bottom of this email .

Center for Lifelong Learning (CLL): Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

1.      What is the Center for Lifelong Learning?

The Center for Lifelong Learning (CLL) is the successor to SBCC's
fee-based program at Continuing Education (Adult Ed). It provides a
new approach that allows SBCC to deliver self-supporting and
affordable fee-based courses. The CLL will offer the Adult Ed classes
people have enjoyed for years along with exciting new additions.

2.      Why is the CLL being established?

The main reason is due to the cuts in state funding for the college.
SBCC will not continue to offer as state-funded many of the classes
it has historically provided without fee.  The CLL will be the venue
through which the college will continue to offer current classes
appropriate for conversion to fee-based. While the loss of funding to
CE is dismaying, there are benefits to having classes free from the
constraints of state regulation. The ability to offer a broader range
of classes, workshops, conferences, trips and tours, is much greater
without the restrictions of the Chancellor's Office.

3.       How can the CLL expand its curriculum and course formats?

Without state funding for CLL classes, the same rules don't apply.
Changes such as different class lengths (2 day, 5 weeks), formats
(lecture series, travel sessions) and subjects (brain science,
climate change, Chinese glazes) are now possible.

4.       When will the CLL start

Classes are projected to be in full swing in the Fall of 2013.

5.       Who is helping to build the CLL?

The CLL Transitional Workgroup, community volunteers, meets weekly to
lay the groundwork for this program. They meet frequently with Dr.
Jack Friedlander, SBCC Executive Vice President, to work on the
curriculum, financial models and marketing for the Center. The group
will meet regularly with the Executive Director to provide community guidance.

6.       Will the classes be affordable?

The CLL will have to charge a fee as it needs to be
self-supporting.  However, every effort is being made to keep costs
down - scholarships and sponsorships are anticipated.

7.        Is the CLL part of SBCC?

While the CLL will be placed in SBCC's Educational Programs division,
it will have its own Executive Director and function with input from
a volunteer community consultation council.

8.       Can I participate in the planning of this new program?

Yes, provide us with your e-mail address and we will keep you updated
on what is happening as well as send you information on a variety of
ways you too can participate.

9.      Will I be able to register on-line and what if I don't have a computer?

There will be on-line as well as in-office registration at the Schott
and Wake Centers.

10.    How do I find out more about the CLL?

Contact the Wake (Andy Harper,
<mailto:agharper at sbcc.edu>agharper at sbcc.edu) and Schott (Kendall
Harris,<mailto:KEHarris1 at sbcc.edu>KEHarris1 at sbcc.edu) Centers for
more information.

List of Adult ED Program co-sponsors offering
Environment,Sustainability & Science Programs from 1989-2010:

Air Pollution Control District
All Around Irrigation and Supply
All Around Landscape Supply
Allen Associates
American Institute of Architects
Antioch University of Santa Barbara
Aqua-Flo Supply
Architectural Foundation
Audubon Society
Biodynamic Farming & Gardening Association
Build Green Program
Built Green in Santa Barbara
California Association for Coordinated Transportation
California Certified Organic Farmers
California Department of Transportation
California Integrated Waste Management Board
Carpinteria Valley Water District
Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary
Channel Islands National Park
Citizen's Planning Association
City of Santa Barbara
City of Santa Barbara Fire Department
City of Santa Barbara Water Conservation
Clipper Wind Technologies
Coalition for Sustainable Transportation
Community Environmental Council
County of Santa Barbara
County of Santa Barbara (Solid Waste and Utilities Division & Water Agency)
Earth Island Institute
El Capitan Canyon Campground
Environmental Defense Center
Ewing Irrigation
Fairview Gardens Farm
For the Future
Foundation for Mythological Studies
Goleta Water District
Green Building Alliance
Green Drinks Santa Barbara
Green Homes of Santa Barbara
Guadalupe Dunes Center
Habitat for Humanity
Hayward Lumber Company
Heal the Ocean
Holehouse Construction Company
Horticulture Consortium of Santa Barbara
Institute of World Cultures
Interior Design Association
International Society for Ecology and Culture
La Casa de la Raza
La Casa de Maria
La Cumbre Mutual Water Company
Land Trust for Santa Barbara County
Living Green
Los Padres Interpretive Association
MarBorg Associates
Montecito Water District
NARI
Nuclear Age Peace Foundation
Occidental Art and Ecology
Ocean Futures Society
Pacifica Graduate Institute
Peikert Group Architects
Phillips Metsch Sweeney Moore Achitects
Renewable Energy Concepts Solar
Santa Barbara Bank & Trust
Santa Barbara Bike Coalition
Santa Barbara Botanic Garden
Santa Barbara Certified Farmers' Market
Santa Barbara Chapter of the Architecture Institute of America (AIA)
Santa Barbara Contractors' Association
Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District
Santa Barbara Farmer's Market
Santa Barbara Food Co-op
Santa Barbara Maritime Museum
Santa Barbara Metropolitan Transit District
Santa Barbara Museum of Art
Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
Santa Barbara News-Press
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network Non Profit
Santa Barbara Public Library
SBCC Business Services Department
SBCC Center for Sustainability
SBCC Culinary Arts Department
SBCC Environmental Studies Program
SBCC Student Sustainability Coalition
Slow Food Santa Barbara
South Coast Livable Communities
South Coast Permaculture Guild
Specified Lighting and Warm Floors
The Clarence E. Heller Charitable Foundation
The Institute of Reverential Ecology
The Peikert Group
The Regenerative Design Institute & Permaculture Institute of
Northern California
The Sustainability Project
UC Natural Reserve System
UCSB Affiliates
UCSB Arts & Lectures
UCSB Bookstore
UCSB College of Letters and Science
UCSB Donald Bren School of Environmental Science and Management
UCSB Education for Sustainable Living Program
UCSB Environmental Studies Program
UCSB Extension
UCSB Geography Department
UCSB Interdisciplinary Humanities Center
UCSB Office of Sustainability
University of California Education for Sustainable Living Program
US Green Building Council Central Coast Chapter
Walter H. Capps Center for the Study of Religion, Ethics and Public Life
Walter H. Capps Foundation
Weldesign
Westmont College
Wildling Art Museum
Zaca Charitable Foundation

Margie Bushman
Coordinator, SBCC Center for Sustainability
http://sustainability.sbcc.edu/
PPlease consider the environment before printing this email.