[Scpg] LAST CHANCE!/6 Day Seed School at Fairview Gardens - February 17 - 22, 2013

Margie Bushman, Coordinator, SBCC Center for Sustainability sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Jan 31 15:31:23 PST 2013

The Seed School needs more sign ups or they will
have to cancel.  So if you are wanting to attend,
but were waiting until the last minute to sign
up, don't wait any longer!  email them now, they
make a decision tomorrow whether to cancel.

Seed School - Fairview Gardens February 17 - 22, 2013 Goleta CA
http://shop.nativeseeds.org/products/ssfg13

[]

Join NS/S Executive Director Bill McDorman, Joy
Hought MSc and special guests for a 6-day Seed
School session at Fairview Gardens in Goleta,
California. Seed School is for gardeners,
farmers, herbalists, nurseries, CSAs,
non-profits, government agencies and everyone
concerned with regional, sustainable and diverse
agriculture. Proceeds benefit Native
Seeds/SEARCH. Click here to learn more about this groundbreaking course.

February 17 - 22, 2013
The Center for Urban Agriculture at Fairview Gardens
598 N. Fairview Avenue
Goleta, CA 93117

Early Bird Discount: Register before February 1 for only $600!

Tuition: $700
Deposit to reserve a spot: $200
http://shop.nativeseeds.org/products/ssfg13

Proceeds benefit Native Seeds/SEARCH. Full
payment is due two weeks prior to the starting
date. Space is limited - sign up early!

Payment can also be made by mailing a check
payable to Native Seeds/SEARCH, 3584 E. River
Road, Tucson AZ 85718. Indicate "Seed School -
Fairview Gardens 2013" on your check and include
contact information and phone number.

After making your deposit, please click here to complete your registration.
http://www.nativeseeds.org/index.php?option=com_rsform&formId=1

Seed School Details

As awareness grows around issues of food and
sustainability, people everywhere are waking up
to the vital importance of seeds. Now more than
ever, we need small, bioregional seed operations
to replace the “one-size-fits-all” industrial
seed system. To answer this need, Native Seeds/SEARCH has created Seed School.

Think “Seeds First”

Seed School is a groundbreaking 6-day course
designed to help participants create new regional
and sustainable seed production and distribution
systems. Students walk away from this innovative
educational program with the knowledge and
inspiration to start their own heirloom seed
company, organize a community seed-lending
library, and train others in the art and practice
of seed saving. Seed School is for gardeners,
farmers, seed savers, entrepreneurs, NGOs,
policymakers and anyone interested in turning the
tide on the industrialization of our food and agriculture.

Why Seed School?

When our ancestral gardeners needed seed, there
were no glossy catalogs to leaf through. They
acquired their replanting stock through the
time-honored practice of seed saving, a tradition
dating back some 10,000 years. But today most
farmers and gardeners purchase their seed from
“Big Box” chains and corporate seed companies.
This dramatic shift has taken its toll. Over the
past century, we’ve lost an alarming amount of
biodiversity among our food crops and become
dependent on an industrialized agricultural
system that puts profits above all else. Seed
School encourages a return to the ancient art of
seed saving to reconnect people from all walks of
life with seeds—the source of all sustenance.

We envision a vast network of thousands of small,
bioregional seed companies and community-owned
seed collections replacing the disempowering and
ecologically destructive industrial system. By
taking ownership over our seeds once again and
rejoining the ritual of seed saving, we are
replenishing our dwindling biodiversity, building
up beneficial crop adaptations, and strengthening
food security where we live. This is the way to
true sustainability... and to healthier, better-tasting food!

What You’ll Learn

This first-of-its-kind course teaches the
practical, detailed information necessary to
recreate the genetic foundation for a truly
sustainable agriculture. Seed School’s focus is
to dissect the current world seed situation, take
a hard look at its implications, and then help
students gain the skills needed to construct new
seed production and distribution models for both
profit-making and nonprofit institutions.

Classroom time in this permaculture-inspired
program is balanced with hands-on activities,
group work, and consulting time with our expert
instructors. For our Tucson courses, a field trip
to the 60-acre Native Seeds/SEARCH Conservation
Farm offers students a unique window into a
professional seed conservation organization at work.

Topics covered during Seed School include:

Structure and History of the Seed Industry
The Magic of Seeds
Intro to Mendel's Genetics
Selection and Evaluation
Pollination
Breeding
Harvesting
Germination
Wild Seed - Production, Collection, Cleaning
Seed Exchanges, Libraries, Businesses
Click here to download the full Seed School syllabus.

Bill McDorman

Bill McDorman is the principal instructor for
Seed School and the Executive Director of Native
Seeds/SEARCH, a 29-year-old Southwestern seed
conservation organization based in Tucson,
Arizona. He is the founder of three seed
companies and several nonprofits, and author of
the 1994 book Basic Seed Saving.

Joy Hought, MSc

Joy Hought has a unique combination of expertise
including 15 years teaching and developing
curricula in the arts and sciences; 2 years in
public broadcasting; and a graduate degree in seed science

A Fairview Gardens Program
Co-sponsored by Santa Barbara Permaculture Network www.sbpermaculture.org