[Scpg] Village Building Design Course Portland May 23-27

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat May 11 20:24:24 PDT 2013

Village Building Design Course
May 23-27 Portland Oregon
Complete Course $70-100 Drop in for a day: $20-30
pa at cityrepair.org http://cityrepair.org/placemakers-academy/register/

Lead Instructor: Hannah Poirier
Permaculture teacher and veteran VBC organizer

This class is about transforming Spaces into Places;
Places which are invested with value and meaning.

Course Schedule:
Thursday, May 23
Introduction to Placemaking
11:30am – 5:30pm
This is the essential starting place, context and tools to start the simpliest forms of group process – understanding what Place means to you, to the group, and the basics of getting to know your neighbors and running meanings.
What is Place and why does it matter?
Inviting neighbors
Running meetings
Basic facilitation and brainstorming
Collaborative design: identifying values and setting project priorities
Examples of sustainable placemaking
Friday, May 24
Introduction to Permaculture
9:00-12:00
Permaculture principles
Permaculture patterns applied to community organizing
Practicing recognition of permaculture principles and using patterns
Necessary roles  in groups
Facilitating design charrettes
Internal Placemaking for External Group Organizing
1:30-4:30
With: Deborah Eden Tull
“In this workshop we will explore how to be more powerfully present, centered, and skillful as community organizers and facilitators. We will explore how to stay centered while engaging with others through mindful awareness and will learn tools for doing the inner and outer work at the same time. Some of the topics we will cover are: self-awareness, mindful leadership, conscious communication and deep listening, coming from a mentality of WE, staying centered in conflict, projection, and helpful v. unhelpful attitudes to bring to community organizing. ”
Group facilitation
Mindful leadership
Attitudes of community organizing
Saturday, May 25
Day off! Go explore the VBC Placemaking Sites!
Sunday, May 26
Patterns & Tools
9:00am – 12pm
Patterns in Nature
Human patterns
Designing villages – essential elements on a large-scale
Planning projects
How to organize a work party
The Human Being on Earth, from the viewpoint of Anthroposophy
1:30-4:30pm
With: Beth Wieting
Who are we? Scientific studies sometimes suggest that if bugs were to suddenly die, all life on Earth would soon perish, but if people were to die, all life on Earth world soon flourish. Is this true? As humans, we create reality with our thoughts and feelings, so we will hone in on our purpose on Earth and how our Will is essential to all Life.
Internal and external roles we have as a species
Esoteric implications
Practical directives
Monday, May 27
Storytelling, Myth, & Culture
11:30am – 2:30pm
With: Mark Lakeman
History of the grid
History of City Repair
Context of Placemaking
Dealing with legal structures
How do we create stories?
Closing
2:30 – 4:30pm
We will work with each other to set goals and check-in systems to move forward with the information we’ve learned. Visualizations will help us understand what we’re working toward and motivate us to take action on the inspiration and skills we have in our lives.
Setting achievable goals
Creating the future

*Your course fee also includes follow-up with the instructors and classmates.
Instructors:
Hannah Poirier (Lead Instructor)
Hannah grew up in Bend, Oregon and began studying Permaculture in Forest Grove, Oregon in 2008 at Pacific University. Studying Sustainable Design, she helped teach permaculture classes at the university, specializing in collaborative group client design projects, and became very involved with the 3.5 acre Permaculture Project “B Street”, as well as worked with other members of the community to start a new garden on a blank 50×100 lot. Hannah has been one of the primary organizers for the Village Building Convergence in 2010, 2011, and was Placemaking Coordinator for VBC 2012. She’s been engaged in permaculture homesteading, including residence at the Planet Repair Institute, farming, and teaching permaculture and placemaking for going on four years.
Deborah Eden Tull,
 founder of Mindful Living Revolution a meditation and mindfulness teacher, author, speaker, and sustainability consultant who teaches the integration of compassionate awareness into every aspect of our lives. She has been traveling to, living in, or teaching about sustainable communities internationally for the last 20 years, including seven years as a monk at a Zen Monastery. Her book, The Natural Kitchen: Your Guide for the Sustainable Food Revolution (Process Media), was published in September 2010 and she is currently completing her new book, Mindful Living Revolution: How to live Sustainably from the Inside Out.
www.deborahedentull.com  www.facebook.com/MindfulLivingRevolution

Beth Wieting Virginia and raised in Massachusetts. She grew up in an extended family who appreciated nature. In 1965 a move to Oregon introduced her to the volcanic wilderness of the Northwest. Living in the city of Portland, before organic food was available, she grew much of her family’s fruit and vegetables in the back yard! During that time she developed an appreciation for the contribution of the Nature Spirits to our world. Beth now lives in SE Portland and is a highly respected member of the biodynamic and anthroposophy community and has been studying the works of Rudolf Steiner and teaching her insights for more than 40 years.
Mark Lakeman
Mark is a co-founder of The City Repair Project, the VBC, Planet Repair Institute, and a national leader in the development of sustainable public places. In the last decade he has directed or facilitated designs for more than three hundred new community-generated public places in Portland, Oregon alone. Through his leadership in Communitecture, Inc. and The City Repair Project, he has also been instrumental in the development of dozens of participatory design projects and organizations across the United States and Canada. Mark works with governmental leaders, community organizations, and educational institutions in many diverse communities.
Class Location:
Awakenings Wellness Center 1016 SE 12th Ave. Portland, OR , Questions? 541-419-6723 | pa at cityrepair.org  http://cityrepair.org/placemakers-academy/register/