[Scpg] SBCC Is Life Changing for Students/Class of 2013

Margie Bushman, Coordinator SBCC Center for Sustainability sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sat May 25 09:51:51 PDT 2013

the power of a community college to change lives,
read below for the life changing story of SBCC
student Robert Gutierez, and realize there are
many others like him.  Through my short time
(almost 3 years) at SBCC and the Center for
Sustainability, I have been exposed to many
remarkable students that would not have fit,
initially at least, in a four year college or
university setting, but thrived in the community college environment.

I love community colleges, everything they
represent, thank you SBCC!  Margie Bushman
(and SBCC offers a Permaculture Design Course, how amazing is that?)

For SBCC Graduates, Commencement a Time to Celebrate and Reflect

http://www.noozhawk.com/article/sbcc_celebrates_the_class_of_2013/
Class of 2013 receives words of inspiration from
college President Lori Gaskin and graduating student Robert Gutierrez

With family and friends watching from the stands, SBCC's Class

With family and friends watching from the stands,
SBCC’s Class of 2013 celebrates commencement
Friday night in La Playa Stadium. (Giana Magnoli / Noozhawk photo)

By Giana Magnoli, Noozhawk Staff Writer |
<http://twitter.com/magnoli>@magnoli | Published on 05.24.2013 9:44 p.m.

[<http://www.noozhawk.com/media/detail/sbcc_celebrates_its_class_of_2013/>Click
here for a Noozhawk photo gallery from commencement.]

With the beach as their backdrop,
<http://sbcc.edu/>Santa Barbara City College
graduates filed into La Playa Stadium on Friday
evening for their commencement ceremony.

The Class of 2013 was awarded 1,702 degrees and
certificates, and 500 students attended the
graduation, which was held at the stadium and
presided over by new President Lori Gaskin for the first time.

“Let’s soak in this precious moment,” she said,
telling everyone to take out their phones and
take a picture that would forever remind them of that day.

Gaskin reminded the graduates and their families
that
<http://www.noozhawk.com/article/031913_sbcc_named_co-winner_of_aspen_institute_excellence/>SBCC
shared the 2013 Aspen Prize for Community College
Excellence for its commitment to student success and robust transfer program.

“Ensure that the value of your education is
passed on one generation to the next,” she told them.

Many of the graduates who received their degrees
Friday are on their way to four-year universities or full-time jobs.

This year’s class ranges in age from 18 to 67,
with an average age of 25. Communications and
psychology are the most popular majors.

“To a person, every one of you graduates is
inspiring, genuine and delightful,” Gaskin said.

The inspiring
<http://www.noozhawk.com/article/with_renewed_vision_sbcc_grad_sees_bright_future/>commencement
speaker was graduating student Robert Gutierrez,
who earned associate’s degrees in mathematics, physics and chemistry.

Gutierrez said he was nervous to accept the honor
of being student speaker, but pushed past his
fears, “because I have found that nothing in this
life is worthwhile unless there is risk to achieve it.”

Noozhawk interns and SBCC graduates Cassidy Flynn, left, and Ga

Noozhawk interns and SBCC graduates Cassidy
Flynn, left, and Gabriella Slabiak take a moment
from the pomp and circumstance to celebrate
during Friday’s commencement. (Giana Magnoli / Noozhawk photo)

Gutierrez’s parents migrated from Mexico to the
Carpinteria area and worked long hours, leaving
him without guidance or the motivation to put in
an effort at school, he said. Poor decisions
followed that led to a “first-class ticket” to
Wasco State Prison and being in and out of jail for about seven years.

In 2008, he took his first big risk in life and
enrolled at Santa Barbara City College. He said
he discovered his goal to be a bioengineering
research during an
<http://www.biosciweb.net/>animal biology course
by Blake Barron and has since been accepted to prestigious universities.

Gutierrez said he couldn’t have done it without
<http://www.sbcc.edu/eopscare/%E2%80%8E>SBCC’s
Extended Opportunity Programs and Services, the
Mathematics, Engineering and Science Achievement
Program, his girlfriend and many professors who believed in him.

He challenged every graduate not to settle for an
easy road, but to take risks and not fear
failure. Everyone fails at one point, “but we
must learn from our failures and have the courage to push on forward,” he said.

There’s a Spanish saying that, translated, is “he
who seeks, will find.” Every time he was released
from jail, Gutierrez said he tried a job and failed at it ­ but never gave up.

He said the most powerful lesson came from his prison cellmate.

“You know what kid? You are very intelligent, but
you’re stupid,” Gutierrez recalls him saying.
Gutierrez wouldn’t accept that at first, but said
he came to value the man as a mentor, and the one
who finally made him realize he was focusing his energy on the wrong things.

“I went from being a troubled youth to graduating
with honors from Santa Barbara City College,” he
said. “I went from being a nobody, perceived as
weaker, to being your 2013 commencement speaker.”

He ended with his lesson of his own to everyone listening: It’s never too late.

“For the children in the audience whose parents
didn’t go to college, it’s not too late,” he
said, in Spanish and in English. “For those who
were incarcerated or told you’d never amount to anything, it’s not too late.”

Margie Bushman
Program Coordinator, SBCC Center for Sustainability
http://sustainability.sbcc.edu/
PPlease consider the environment before printing this email.