[Scpg] Experienced Native gardener / orchardist seeks partial work / trade housing

John Sacko johnnysacko at mac.com
Mon Jul 1 17:35:29 PDT 2013

From: Ron Aden Alexander PhD <ronalexanderphd at gmail.com>
Subject: Housing Query for a Friend...
Date: July 1, 2013 1:36:20 PM PDT

Dear Friends,

Many of you know my long-time friend, Kerry Tomlinson, through her duties at Chaucers.   She has worked with many of you who are artists or writers or just lovers of books.  Kerry is an artist and poet in her own right, though she is embarrassed that I would tell you so.

A Santa Barbara native and accomplished gardener, Kerry has lived in the same charming old house in Mission Canyon for the last 13 years, squeaking by on bookstore wages by having a “sweat equity” arrangement with the owners to bring the gardens back to life.

She bought, planted and maintained an orchard of fruit trees and put in mostly-native landscaping, as well as doing the seasonal brush-clearing, chain-sawing, mowing, hedge-trimming, and whatnot, until very recently.

Now the owners are planning a major remodel.  She must downsize and find new digs.  Having been out of the rental market for some years, she finds herself unable to afford even the most humble advertised offering.  It would be nice to find one of those special finds we’ve all seen, places only found through word of mouth, usually offered by benefactors less interested in income than they are the character of the tenant.

Kerry is seeking a cottage or studio or mud hut with some privacy for about $800/month.  What she can offer in return is galvanized, trustworthy native credentials and references.   Her time frame is looming:  August through early fall.

Please let one of us know if you think of anything or know someone who might be able to help.   You can reach Kerry at kerrytommy at cox.net .   Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Yours,
Ron Alexander