[Scpg] NEW BOOK The Zero Waste Solution Untrashing the Planet One Community at a Time by Paul Connett

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Aug 22 05:26:21 PDT 2013

http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_zero_waste_solution:paperback

NEW BOOK
The Zero Waste Solution
Untrashing the Planet One Community at a Time
by Paul Connett

"Paul Connett's heroic drive to trim our culture's crazy waste has helped produce the powerful movement chronicled here—an inspiration to us all!"
—Bill McKibben, author of Oil and Honey: The Education of an Unlikely Activist

Waste is something we make every day, but we rarely give it much thought. That is changing, though, as emerging programs around the globe show many ways in which a community can achieve zero-waste status.

In The Zero Waste Solution, author and scientist-turned-activist Paul Connett profiles the most successful zero-waste initiatives around the world, showing activists, planners, and entrepreneurs how to re-envision their community’s waste-handling process by doing the following:

Consuming less;
Turning organic waste into compost;
Recycling and reusing other waste;
Demanding nonwasteful product design; and,
Creating jobs and bringing community members together in the process.
Connett is a leading international figure in the decades-long battles to fight pollution and has championed efforts to curtail overconsumption and keep industrial toxins out of our air, drinking water, and bodies. He’s best known around the world for leading efforts to help communities sustainably eliminate and reuse waste rather than burn it or stow it away in landfills.

In addition to showing how zero-waste status can be achieved, Connett exposes the greenwashing behind renewed efforts to promote waste incinerators as safe, nontoxic energy suppliers. The book offers detailed information on how communities can battle incinerators that emit dangerous particles into the atmosphere.

The Zero Waste Solution is an important toolkit for anyone interested in creating sustainable communities, generating secure local jobs, and keeping toxic alternatives at bay.

Dr. Paul Connett is the Director of the Fluoride Action Network (FAN), and the Executive Director of its parent body, the American Environmental Health Studies Project (AEHSP). He has spoken and given more than 2,000 presentations in forty-nine states and fifty-two countries on the issue of waste management. He holds a bachelors degree from the University of Cambridge and a Ph.D. in chemistry from Dartmouth College and is a retired professor of environmental chemistry and toxicology at St. Lawrence University. He lives in Binghamton, New York.

- See more at: http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_zero_waste_solution:paperback#sthash.3RcAyahD.dpuf