[Southern California Permaculture] TONITE. Author John Perlin to speak on "A Forest Journey: The Story of Wood and Civilization. Mon., Jan 13. 5 - 6:40PM. 11 E. Carrillo x State

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Jan 13 07:24:17 PST 2014

Savvy Investors/Community Planet Meeting

                    Monday, Jan. 13th, 2014. 5:00 PM.

                   11 E. Carrillo x State.

Please mention CommunityPlanetFoundation.org as the sponsor of the meeting.

$10 contribution.

A Forest Journey: The Story of Wood and Civilization.

Sustainable Forests Consume Our Greenhouse Gasses

So, how do we Create Sustainable Forests?

John Perlin, Presenter, has the answer.

While we lose approximately 37 million acres of forest worldwide each year, scientists and foresters are working to maintain that critical balance which enables us to meet current needs for forest products without jeopardizing resources for future generations.

John will address
●       how the world has both decimated and protected the forests throughout the ages.
●       and show — through multiple examples, starting with ancient Mesopotamia — how the forests are the mother of civilization and yet many times civilization destroys its very roots.

His presentation, accruing from ten years of investigations, will give the attendees a grasp on why deforestation continues and how this deadly scourge can be abated through lessons learned over the millennia. It is sobering to keep in mind that deforestation throughout the world causes the release of more greenhouse gases than do all of the world’s vehicles.

An international expert on solar energy and forestry, John Perlin has lectured extensively on these topics in North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. He mentors those involved in realizing energy efficiency, photovoltaic, and solar hot water installations at UCSB, as well as coordinates the California Space Grant Consortium on the campus as a member of UCSB’s Department of Physics.

John is the author of A Forest Journey: The Story of Wood and Civilization which was chosen by Harvard as a Classic in Science and World History and as one of the press’s “100 Great Books.” Time magazine chose the book as “a must read” for Earth Day. It was also featured on National Public Radio’s “All Things Considered.” His latest book is Let It Shine: The 6000-Year Story of Solar Energy.

John-Perlin.com.

We hope you will RSVP and bring a friend for what should be an enjoyable occasion. Please LIKE us on Facebook <www.facebook.com/CommunityPlanetSavvyInvestorsSantaBarbara>

We are always looking for engaging speakers.

--
Henry Kreuter, M.A.
Real Estate & Retirement Planning

Former Board Member: The American Church in Paris; The Spanish Association of Jeet Kune Do.  Other Languages: French & Spanish