[Southern California Permaculture] TONIGHT!/Modern Science Meets Ancient Maize with Lorenz Schaller/Sat Jan 25 6:30pm

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sat Jan 25 05:59:00 PST 2014

  Evening Talk:
"Modern Science Meets Ancient Maize"
with Lorenz Schaller of the Kusa Seed Society
Saturday, January 25, 6:30pm-8:30pm $5 donation
Emacs!

Location:
Santa Barbara Central Library, Faulkner Gallery, 40 E.Anapamu St,
Santa Barbara,CA

more info, www.sbpermaculture.org

Maize was the plant-food staple of MesoAmerica and the first American
societies.  Domesticated from teosinte grasses in Southern Mexico,
Maize was the staple grain of the Aztec empire.  Ancient Mayans had
over three hundred Maize foods, while the Incas, an advanced
agricultural civilization that skillfully developed an amazing
variety of plants like quinoa, beans, amaranth and potatoes, prized
Maize above all others as the plant that nourished and allowed their
civilization to rise and thrive.

In his talk Lorenz Schaller will share the history and ancient
secrets of the sacred-maize tradition, "as revealed by the bright
light of modern science in the fields of human nutrition, cereal
chemistry, and holistic health & well being".  Attendees of the talk
will have a chance to learn the basics of preparing whole-grain maize
for human use, including the historic and delicious cinnamon or
sometimes chocolate maize based hot drink Atole, still popular in
Mexico today.  Please join us for an enlightening evening!

A longtime Ojai resident, Lorenz Schaller is a remarkable steward of
his environment.  Formerly a staff member at the California Institute
of Technology (Cal-Tech), Schaller studied and taught the
nutritional, culinary, and ecological significance of bio-diverse
seed crops for many decades.  Over time, his scientific knowledge
merged with a deeper spiritual connection to the life cycles of the
planet.  Schaller founded the Kusa Seed Research Foundation and Kusa
Seed Society in 1980, with an intention to assure the survival of
many ancient, rare, and endangered edible seedcrop strains that were
the building blocks for human civilizations around the
globe.  Operating as a scholarly think tank, the Kusa Seed Society
also maintains seed archives of precious seed stocks, with seeds and
informative seed publications available to the public.  Kusa is a
Sanskrit word meaning sacred grass.   Kusa Seed Society:
http://www.ancientcerealgrains.org/

Read More:

followed by
Annual Community Seed Swap:
Sunday, January 26, 2014
  11 AM - 3 PM, FREE

Both events at the downtown Santa Barbara Central Library, Faulkner Gallery
40 E. Anapamu St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Continuing on  Sunday, January 26, the 6th Annual Community Seed Swap
takes place, this year with a theme of plants from MesoAmerica and
the Western Hemisphere.  Please come and share your examples of
plants from the Americas like squash, corn, chayote, potatoes, beans,
tomatoes, avocados, guavas, chili peppers, manioc, agave, and prickly
pear.  A truly rich heritage, a gift from our skilled ancient
ancestors, may we steward their legacy with care.   But as always all
seeds, especially locally grown seeds, are welcome.

Local groups will table, including the Santa Barbara Seed Saving
Guild who will share valuable seed saving techniques and encourage
local gardeners to grow out and harvest some of their best seeds for
future gardens and seed swaps, making us a truly food secure
community.  Seed saving is a fun and easy way to connect to the
circle of life.

More than 400 people attended the Seed Swap last year, sharing seeds
and knowledge with other backyard gardeners, plant lovers, and
farmers. Come be a part of this seed saving movement, making sure
that locally adapted varieties of seed & plants are passed on to
future generations.  Children are welcome!

Bring seeds, plants, cuttings, and garden knowledge to swap.
Don't have these?
Then come get seeds.
Seeds to sow.
Seeds to grow.
Seeds to harvest.
Seeds to save and share next year.
Activities for all ages
Music that will have your toes tapping
Special Speakers throughout the day
A gathering of garden friends old and new.

  For more information, (805) 962-2571, margie at sbpermaculture.org,
www.sbpermaculture.org

~A community program hosted by the Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
Non-profit~
www.sbpermaculture.org
Event co-sponsors: Island Seed & Feed, Healing Grounds Biodynamic
Nursery, & the Santa Barbara Seed Saving Guild

  Santa Barbara Annual Community Seed Swap on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/632203483488117/

Seeds, they are our past, they are our future.  In past times, they
were skillfully adapted to climate and location.  Are we as smart as
our ancestors?  In the America's, the Western Hemisphere, amazing
skill was exhibited to develop a huge array of edible plants---a
wild, bitter gourd is encouraged to become an edible and nutritious
squash; a simple and weed-like grass into corn---all done without
GMOs!  Come join us as we encourage our community to save and grow
out seed specific to our own climate and place, while honoring our
ancestors gift & legacy.

-end-

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

PlPlease consider the environment before printing this email.